Hershey (AHL) and Reading (ECHL) 2013-14 Season

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
@JasonGuarente: Interesting addition to Royals will be announced Wednesday. Comes from a different playing background than typical Reading signing.

Nathan Walker perhaps...

BiPolar Caps

Feb 9, 2010
NOVA
@JasonGuarente: Interesting addition to Royals will be announced Wednesday. Comes from a different playing background than typical Reading signing.

Nathan Walker perhaps...

Think of the promo possibilities, Outback, Fosters . . .

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Think of the promo possibilities, Outback, Fosters . . .

Some sick part of me wishes our ECHL affiliate was still the Stingrays, and then they have an Nathan Walker/Australia night just to see who comes to the game dressed as Steve Irwin. :naughty:

sk84fun_dc

Nov 4, 2004
Hershey training camp

http://www.hersheybears.com/news/detail.php?id=4167

9/23 players report
9/24 on-ice stuff starts

Two free agent invites to Hershey's camp via ECHL Bakersfield (Note: head coach is Troy Mann) Source

D Erik Burgdoerfer and F Louke Oakley

Players on NHL or AHL contracts no longer on Washington's TC roster: Anderson, Brouillette, Deschamps, Flemming, Galiev, Genoway, Gill, Johnson, Kolomatis, Leblanc, Segal, Syner, Watkins, Wellar, Whitmore

Hershey contract players who were not in Washington's camp: Brittain, Gazley, Ruegsegger

Three Hershey contract players still in camp with Washington: Byers, Cajkovsky, Taffe

sk84fun_dc

Nov 4, 2004
More info. for training camp: Organizational affiliate ECHL contract players attending Hershey's camp:

@JasonGuarente

[Reading] Royals in training camp with Hershey: David Marshall, Domenic Monardo, Mike Banwell, Ryan Kavanagh and Bryant Molle.

sk84fun_dc

Nov 4, 2004
per reports, McPhee says Walker now on one year AHL contract with Hershey

Hershey/AHL Contracts for the 2013-14 season:

Head coach: Mike Haviland; Assistant: Ryan Mougenel
G: Riley Gill (note, Grubauer and Leggio are on NHL contracts)
D: Patrick Wellar, Michal Cajkovsky
F: Josh Brittain, Dane Byers (AHL vet), Dustin Gazley, Jamie Johnson (AHL vet), Tyler Ruegsegger, TJ Syner, Jeff Taffe (AHL vet), Nathan Walker, Derek Whitmore (AHL vet)

(note NHL contracts, but Segal & Strachan are AHL vets; Kolomatis & Watkins are not)

Reading/ECHL contracts for the 2013-14 season

Head coach: Larry Courville
G: (note Gill AHL contract and Anderson NHL contract)
D: Mike Banwell, Matt Campanale, Ryan Kavanagh, Damon Kipp, Bryant Molle, Bobby Shea, Brad Walch
F: Louie Caporusso, Julien Cayer, Ethan Cox, Rob Linsmayer, David Marshall, Domenic Monardo, Ian O'Connor, Ryan Santana, Yannick Tifu, David Toews, Ian Watters, Sean Wiles, Marc Zanette

Link to Royals pre-season roster as of 9/18/13

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
Nice. How much control does Hershey have? Can he be sent to Reading or does he need an NHL contract for that?
He can be sent down to Reading while on an AHL deal.

I'd be very curious to know of the last draft-eligible player to play on an AHL contract. Back in the IHL days you had even younger import prospects playing NA pro in Samsonov & Sykora but I can't think of any comparable situations occuring in the AHL recently.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Really curious as to management's plan with this. Are they rolling the dice hoping that nobody picks him up in the 2014 draft, given that he's been passed on twice? Don't really see the upside in giving Walker a bigger stage to play on, aside of buying yet more goodwill towards a potential contract signing in the future (if he's still undrafted).

Liberati0n*

Really curious as to management's plan with this. Are they rolling the dice hoping that nobody picks him up in the 2014 draft, given that he's been passed on twice? Don't really see the upside in giving Walker a bigger stage to play on, aside of buying yet more goodwill towards a potential contract signing in the future (if he's still undrafted).

Yeah. Unless they plan on drafting him themselves, I see almost only risk in this. It's not like he's completely surpassed the USHL either.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
The AHL is an unusual league for amateur scouts to pay any attention to. Maybe a Northeast US area scout will catch some of his games or something but unless he really puts up points in the AHL he won't have as much exposure compared the USHL (among amateur scouts at least). There's always video scouting and word of mouth from pro scouts and the like but if he ends up in Reading most of the year he may slip off the radar. That's their hope I'd guess. As-is Hershey already has Deschamps, Stoa, Watkins & Byers on the left side. The last two are vets so maybe there's a spot where they can sit one but unless he's top six in Hershey he may be better served playing a lot in Reading.

Liberati0n*

The AHL is an unusual league for amateur scouts to pay any attention to. Maybe a Northeast US area scout will catch some of his games or something but unless he really puts up points in the AHL he won't have as much exposure compared the USHL (among amateur scouts at least). There's always video scouting and word of mouth from pro scouts and the like but if he ends up in Reading most of the year he may slip off the radar. That's their hope I'd guess. As-is Hershey already has Deschamps, Stoa, Watkins & Byers on the left side. The last two are vets so maybe there's a spot where they can sit one but unless he's top six in Hershey he may be better served playing a lot in Reading.

To me, he'll be noticed for the same reason he's notable to fans on the internet (because of the story/he's Australian). Of course, that hasn't led to anyone drafting him in either year, so maybe I'm wrong, but I think it makes him more than just some random prospect playing on an AHL deal.

sk84fun_dc

Nov 4, 2004
While the amateur scouts might not see him as much, plenty of scouts will see him play.

As to the contract, I assume it's a typical AHL deal for a first year player and it wouldn't be surprising if he spent time in Reading.

I Am The Mole

DERPINGTON DERPITALS
May 3, 2010
Lexington Park, MD
It irks me that no other team took the time to give Walker a look at this level, yet he can now be drafted by someone who was originally unwilling to sink the time or effort into him.

They let Washington do all the digging at the camp level and can reap the benefits of our scouting. This is ********.

brs03

Coo coo ca cha!
Jun 2, 2008
Maryland
It irks me that no other team took the time to give Walker a look at this level, yet he can now be drafted by someone who was originally unwilling to sink the time or effort into him.

They let Washington do all the digging at the camp level and can reap the benefits of our scouting. This is ********.

I mean, the Caps put the effort in here knowing they couldn't sign him (presumably they understood his status well enough). That was their choice. They could have spent a late round pick on him this year if they wanted to. If another team wants to take advantage of the situation and beat them to it by drafting him next year, more power to them.

sk84fun_dc

Nov 4, 2004
I mean, the Caps put the effort in here knowing they couldn't sign him (presumably they understood his status well enough). That was their choice. They could have spent a late round pick on him this year if they wanted to. If another team wants to take advantage of the situation and beat them to it by drafting him next year, more power to them.

Heh, no kidding; some people are overreacting to this; I stand by my comments that they didn't need to waste 2 preseason games on the kid, but the rest of it I don't have an issue with. Pretty sure the Caps knew what the situation was; no reason to believe that they didn't.

sk84fun_dc

Nov 4, 2004
Free agent invites to Hershey's camp in advance of having a roster (according to Stuccio roster is being released tomorrow)

D Erik Burgdoerfer and F Louke Oakley from ECHL Bakersfield

and based on @stackthepads info on twitter: goalie Matt Tendler; been in Hershey before on a tryout in the past

[Reading] Royals in training camp with Hershey: David Marshall, Domenic Monardo, Mike Banwell, Ryan Kavanagh and Bryant Molle.

ovikaps

Sep 26, 2013
Mulhouse
Does anyone per chance know what's going on with Sergey Kostenko? Will he play for the Bears? For the Royals? In Russia?
Thanks guys. Glad to be here.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
Does anyone per chance know what's going on with Sergey Kostenko? Will he play for the Bears? For the Royals? In Russia?
Thanks guys. Glad to be here.
Welcome. He's supposed to be playing in Russia but damn if I can find anything as to where. Not sure if he's fully healthy to begin with.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad