Hershey (AHL) and Reading (ECHL) 2013-14 Season

Lefty9420

Mar 12, 2012
Decided to finally post this hoping a decision finally happens.

From Pennlive May 9th:

“In the wake of Mike Haviland's departure to become head coach at Colorado College, these nine coaches loom as possible candidates to land the head coaching job of the Hershey Bears. Larry Courville, Kevin Dineen, Paul Jerrod, Troy Mann, Mark Morris, Ryan Mougenel, Claude Noel, Mike Strothers, and Eric Veilleuxâ€

From Pennlive May 13th:

“Yingst said he has already received more than 60 applications for Hershey's head coaching job.â€

From Pennlive May 19th relative to Mark Morris as coach candidate:

“The 56-year-old would be happy to follow Boudreau's footsteps in Hershey, which is in the market for a head coach in the wake of Mike Haviland's departure for Colorado College.â€

From Pennlive May 26th:

From the author - “filling the vacant Hershey Bears' head coaching position should be next on the NHL team's organizational "to do" list.â€

Also from May 26th:

"It's our hope we can move more aggressively now in the process of hiring a new Bears coach," Yingst said. "However, there are other coaches who have expressed interest in being the next head coach of the Hershey Bears that can't interview yet because their teams are still playing for league championships."

From Pennlive May 27th:

“some of our development had gone sideways over the last couple of years and we needed to make a big re-commitment to our affiliate in Hershey," Leonsis said at Verizon Center. "I think that was news to us, how we needed to re-bond and make a recommitment to Hershey.â€

From June 17th relative to Troy Mann as coach candidate:

"I've expressed interest [in Hershey]," Mann said. "They know that there's an interest level there."

From Pennlive June 26th:

“We will finalize all our interview processes this week," Yingst said. "And, hopefully, if everything goes according to plan, we'll arrive at a decision by Saturday."

So let’s put this together. Coach quits May 9th. At that point, 9 main candidates. Within a few days Yingst has 60 applicants. Mark Morris wants the job. A month ago, getting a new coach was next on “to do†list. The next day, Washington Caps owner Ted Leonsis acknowledges the relationship with Hershey was neglected. Troy Mann is interested. Last week, Yingst claimed the spot filled by Saturday.

Some read-between-the-lines questions as to the 7 week process. Of the 9 candidates mentioned, some had deservedly applied for the position in the past. Are they not being considered now? What’s the hold up then? If the 60 candidates were so great 5-6 weeks ago, why no decision? If candidates could not be interviewed because of playoffs, why no decision since the playoffs ended? If the Washington owner would make a statement about trying to fix the relationship with Bears, why not help this along? Saturday has passed, less than one week to development camp, what’s the hold up now?

Is someone blowing smoke? Is anyone not? Was the "recommittment to Hershey" simply lip service? Yes, it's been busy with GM and coach hirings, assistant coaches, playoffs, and even the draft but why has this taken such a back seat? As a fan, are my expectations too high to have a coach named to start rallying behind?

Sorry for the vent. I don't know that there were any better choices than Washington as an affliate but Leonsis's remark was just stating the obvious. Not having a coach by now seems to validate where the relationship was and makes it harder to feel comfortable it's headed the right direction. I'm sure this will get shredded but if anyone has anything of substance, please share.

I agree 100%. I have posted many times here and elsewhere that not having a coach at this point is beyond absurd. Absolutely no reason there isn't one in place. Prospect camp starts in 7 days. Doesn't anyone think that the man who will be in charge of coaching these prospects should be on board? And isn't it a lot to assume that this new coach is going to need to learn Trotz's system? Unless he is already in the Nashville org. than that's a pretty large ask in 7 days, to be well enough versed in this new system to be able to teach the prospects and to thoroughly evaluate those prospects in how they fit into the system. Not to mention an assistant coach needs to be hired, ect. As has become standard operating procedure over the past few years Doug and the Caps have completely dropped the ball on this one.

Lefty9420

Mar 12, 2012
Also Doug pointed out today that the Bears will go with the 7 vet system again, bc well that has worked out so well the past few years. I'm really hoping that both the Caps and Yingst are sent packing after this year.

sk84fun_dc

Nov 4, 2004
I read the vet comment differently, but wait and see. FWIW, they do need to sign some vets.

As to a coach, there are numerous coaches who don't want to say yes to an AHL head coaching job while NHL positions are still open. I didn't have a problem with the delay up until now but would hope the coach is in place before development camp starts. I trust that they did conduct some interviews in Philly over the weekend.

I disagree that knowing Trotz's system inside and out is needed for development camp. Development camp is very different than rookie camp preceding training camp in September in terms of how the sessions are run and the focus. However, it is a great week for everyone to get to know each other and for the minor league coaches to scout potential minor league signings for as early as the coming season, based on previous years, as well as some spring signings. It would be best if the coach was on board and in attendance for camp next week.

I was dismayed when I read at the start of last season that Oates and Haviland hadn't talked before Haviland was hired. Expect this to play out differently.

Sparkz

Jun 30, 2014
So if Leone is trying to justify a late hiring, why were the things said previously by folks such as Leonsis, Yingst, and Pennlive? Seems everyone is trying to cover their butts. Seems like another late hiring is following the same path as before.

ChibiPooky

Yay hockey!
May 25, 2011
Fairfax, VA
It does feel long, and in addition I'd hoped an effort to improve the relationship would result in a faster hire. Hopefully this means it'll result in the best possible hire.

usiel

Where wolf’s ears are, wolf’s teeth are near.
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2002
Klendathu
www.myspace.com
Wondering how close Hershey's will mirror Trotz's system considering all the talk of better interaction on that front.

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
It does feel long, and in addition I'd hoped an effort to improve the relationship would result in a faster hire. Hopefully this means it'll result in the best possible hire.

Or on the other hand an effort to improve the relationship is being made by taking their time and picking the right guy so they don't have to do this whole process again next summer. I'm ok with the organization taking their good old time on this, as long as they don't pick some random candidate that only gets hired because of previous ties to either Hershey or Washington.

sk84fun_dc

Nov 4, 2004
Funny how Washington and Hershey not making the playoffs makes for a long off-season; ok, not funny :(

Rumblick

Nov 23, 2004
I - 78
So if Leone is trying to justify a late hiring, why were the things said previously by folks such as Leonsis, Yingst, and Pennlive? Seems everyone is trying to cover their butts. Seems like another late hiring is following the same path as before.

Considering the two late hirings noted were French (Calder Cup in his first season) and Boudreau (Calder Cup in his first season), I'm okay waiting for July. :D

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Hockey is a very simple sport. Complex systems do not need to be installed over the course of weeks or months to be competitive. Tape on all players is endless for the new coaches to review and they get up to speed fast.

While it would be great to have coaches sorted out long in advance, perhaps a proper search is worth the wait. But it does look odd that dcamp is opening and we don't have a Hershey boss in place. I suspect delays in affiliations is in play as well.

sk84fun_dc

Nov 4, 2004
What delays in affiliations? Sure there was the ECHL switch but the Reading / Philadelphia situation was rumored for months; this was not a surprise to anyone. I don't see how the ECHL affiliation situation would hold things up at the AHL level. Also, when they made the switch to Reading, it was announced in conjunction with D camp opening.

I don't understand why people are surprised. Whether waiting to talk to someone involved in the playoffs or interest in a coach who was waiting to see how NHL positions played out, there are reasons for a coaching search to take time. The Caps only finalized their staff within the last week. There are NHL teams with assistant positions open still, other AHL clubs with openings and CHL teams. There are two sides to this hiring and if talking and waiting for the right fit is what is needed then it is what is needed. As I said, I prefer someone is in place and at D camp next week, but there is still time for that to happen.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Delays in getting Washington's staffing in place. My thinking, if we just added assistants recently, maybe then its expected for delays to trickle down the pipe.

Or does Washington have absolutely no say and nothing to do at all with Hershey's coaching choices?

sk84fun_dc

Nov 4, 2004
Delays in getting Washington's staffing in place. My thinking, if we just added assistants recently, maybe then its expected for delays to trickle down the pipe.

Or does Washington have absolutely no say and nothing to do at all with Hershey's coaching choices?

Washington has say. Yingst has say.

Some of the reasons for 'delays' if you want to use that description. Candidates interviewing for Hershey but wanting to apply for NHL open positions, too, both head and assistant positions. There are two sides to this not just the Washington/Hershey side. Washington seeing if Reirden would be available to hire, possible someone they considered for that slot if Reirden was not available ends up as Hershey coach. As others noted, some individuals were not available to interview earlier due to playoffs or contracts. Many coaching contracts end on June 30th. It is possible, they were waiting for someone's contract to expire. Interviewing some candidates in Philly this weekend.

Not sure why people are in a rush. If you want strong working relationships and communications, makes sense to take time and make sure the right individual is hired. Trotz's official hiring was the last week of May. Plenty of coaching movement has occurred since that time both hirings and firings, still openings, Hershey is not the last AHL team looking for a head coach.

Lurch

Apr 11, 2011
Central PA / Central Florida
Stothers and Mann were top choices all along. Surprised about Helmer. Can't wait for the official announcement. Things should be interesting with this pair of coaches. I'm happy.

sk84fun_dc

Nov 4, 2004
Stothers and Mann were top choices all along. Surprised about Helmer. Can't wait for the official announcement. Things should be interesting with this pair of coaches. I'm happy.

It sounded like Stothers was going to end up with the LAK org. from the stuff I was hearing. And he did.

Helmer has been with the OHL Peterborough Petes gaining coaching experience for the last year, as you know.

Lurch

Apr 11, 2011
Central PA / Central Florida
I didn't know that about Helmer. Makes a bit more sense in that case; thought this was his first coaching job. I guess I should have tried that Google thing lol. Thanks for the info.

Lefty9420

Mar 12, 2012
Just heard, Troy Mann and Brian Helmer asst.

If true, then I am very happy. Was hoping for Villieux, but that was never gonna happen. Mann was my 2nd choice or should I say 1A. He was great when he was here and Helmer will be great with the D. Our PP just went from God Awful under Mongeneu to really good..

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $354.00