Post-Game Talk: Heritage Classic

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
The defense seemed so much more organized without Cowen in the lineup.........All of our defensemen were sound positionally and had no problems making a pass. This move should have been made a long time ago.
They had all kinds of problems getting the puck out of their zone in the first period but cleaned it up after that. I still hope Phillips is traded at the deadline & Cowen can replace him & play with Ceci where IMO is who he should be playing with & not with Karlsson.

wow much win, it's good Vancouver is even crappier than us haha. Was surprised by how entertaining it ended up being

Humm? I didn't find it as entertaining although it was nice to see the Sens win. I thought the puck was bouncing all over the place & numerous examples of guys having trouble handling the puck maybe because of poor ice conditions. I'm not a fan of outside games I think it's a much better game indoors especially on TV, well that is ... if the Sens are playing well.

Bob Kudelski

Mar 8, 2006
Ottawa, ON
Please Mac leave Methot with Karlsson where he belongs. And leave Cowen scratched for now at least, and bottom pairing until he can get his stuff together.

blahblah3

Jan 8, 2010
That was some truly awful hockey out there. Choppy, slow, bad passes, players all jumbled together. I had to stop watching. Looked like the 2001 Leafs.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
Smallest post game chat ever... I missed the game and needed you guys!

Hahaha, oh well, a win is a win

Proust*

Dec 8, 2010
Methot looked like last year's Methot out there.... He was speedy and crushing everything in site. I love when he just smoked Kassian during that centre-ice face-off scrum. And when he ended Sedin's season behind the net. We need a guy playing like this every game, and it isn't going to be Jared Cowen (yet).

God Says No

Mar 16, 2012
Missed most of the game. How did Hoffman look? From the highlights it looked like he was removed from the Zib line and replaced with Michalek. Is that right?

Proust*

Dec 8, 2010
Missed most of the game. How did Hoffman look? From the highlights it looked like he was removed from the Zib line and replaced with Michalek. Is that right?

Bungled a couple of chances he would have buried in the AHL. It was obvious he was nervous again. Other than that, he looked decent.

Hoffman needs a few games to calm his nerves and find his game. We already know this based on his previous chances, so hopefully the coaching staff knows it as well.

HavlatMach9

streamable 3rah1
Mar 17, 2011
Ottawa
didn't look too bad, but couldn't bury some chances. his speed is really helping him, he used it to make a nice defensive play on a breakaway when the other dmen lost interest in defending during that sequence.

arglebargle

Feb 27, 2008
From the way they've called Hoffman up and sent him down immediately twice before this, I get the sense that they don't actually like him that much, and wanted to get him in the lineup for a few games before the deadline to get him on other teams' radars.

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
didn't look too bad, but couldn't bury some chances. his speed is really helping him, he used it to make a nice defensive play on a breakaway when the other dmen lost interest in defending during that sequence.

His speed is what I notice most about, his first few strides are damned impressive.

He seems to be struggling a little bit when it comes to making moves under pressure, which is understandable since time is much more limited in the NHL as opposed to the AHL.

Looks good so far, but a small sample size.

Tundraman

ModerationIsKey
Feb 13, 2010
North
As hard as I was on the Sens after the Detroit fiasco I have to give them credit for playing with lots of heart and intensity in this one. Ice conditions may have slowed the game down a bit and maybe that benefited the Sens defense not having to make as many quick decisions but who knows for sure.

It seems to me that Greening won't initiate the rough play but when he's physically tested between the whistles he plays better. Not to give them any ideas but the other team would be better to ignore him to let him sleep and keep him passive. He got better as the Nucks started checking him harder and pushing during the stoppages.

As to Hoffman, what I like about his game is the quality of the chances he gets. Some young guys look ok skating around but Hoffman is often just an inch from making a super play or scoring. Even though he hasn't lit it up yet you feel like it will happen soon. Not at all the same type of player but I felt the same way watching Stone when he was here. Just that little bit more and they both could be very successful in the NHL.

Andy didn't have to be Super-Andy but he tracked the puck really well even in traffic and had a very good game. As the kid said who had only ever watched the Boston and Detroit games before this one...."Oh so the Senator goalies are allowed to stop the puck too? Cooooool.....!"

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad