OT: Here's what I don't get (All encompassing 'what the hell, Blues?' thread)

Stealth JD

Don't condescend me, man.
Sponsor
Jan 16, 2006
Bonita Springs, FL
Most of us love the St. Louis Blues, even though it may not be good for our emotional well being, or financial health. But since (presumably) none of us work for the club or have a say so with the decision making, the best we can do is ask, "why the heck do they think _______ is a good idea?"

So...since we're in the dog days of summer, 3 months from camp, lets hear some of the things that make you go hmmmmmm, when it comes to decision-making from ownership and management.

Here's what i don't get:

Why the **** doesn't Brian Elliott get more respect from his own club? Sure he's not the prettiest goalie in the crease...but all he does is perform and put up incredible numbers. Yet, he's seemingly behind Jake Allen on the depth-chart according to Jeremy Rutherford's article, where Army is quote as saying,
“I didn’t say he’s coming in as the backup. He could have a great summer and steal the job. Brian came in here with the same type of thing when he first got here and won the Jennings Trophy. Brian is not afraid of competition.”

I get the feeling that they'd just assume trade Elliott for a can of nacho cheese for the concession stand if they could find someone to take him off their hands and/or send them a young goalie in exchange.

Moving on...
What the **** does Darren Pang put in his cereal in the mornings to give him the frantic energy of a toddler on meth? He's like the love-child of Richard Simmons and the energizer bunny. That's not normal, right?

And lastly...
The Blues have one of the best strength and conditioning coaches in the league, nutritionist, trainers and a host of resources for the players to be in tip-top condition. Why doesn't Hitch put down the history books and utilize some of these guys? Dude was slender for a while and looking healthy...but he's completely regressed and fallen off the wagon. I'm not one to crack someone for their appearance, but it's tough to preach accountability and demand your guys leave it all on the ice, when you yourself can't make an effort to practice what you preach. I can't help but think some of the guys in the room don't have a whole lot of respect for the 'do as i say, not as i do' attitude of the coach with regards to conditioning.

Feel free to add to the list...we'll see how many questionable decisions, actions, behaviors we can come up with between now and 2015-2016 opening night.

KirkOut

EveryoneOut
Nov 23, 2012
USA
What were they thinking?

Management: Chris Pronger for Brewer, Woywitka, and Lynch

Players: Forgetting to show up to the playoff games this year. They should have remembered.

Fans: Continuing to be Blues fans after everything

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
To answer your question about Elliott, the Blues have to find out what they have in Jake Allen. Making him the backup won't do that so he should take over as starter. If he can't get it done, then you go back to Elliott.

I agree with your other questions though.

LGB51

2019 STANLEY CUP CHAMPION ST. LOUIS BLUES!
Oct 9, 2013
Arcola, IL
Why can't the Blues figure out how to build a playoff team? They've only had almost 50 years to figure it out.

Vladdy the Impaler

Moar Sobotka
Feb 20, 2015
The Lou
Not letting people in to Scottrade until exactly 1 hour before the puck drops? What the HELL were they thinking? The money on beer sales that the organization could be making by letting fans in 2 hours early....

Also, getting rid of the old game footage that they used to show on the jumbotron before warmups (just so you can hear their terrible DJ's music) was the dumbest idea ever.

BadgersandBlues

Jun 6, 2011
And lastly...
The Blues have one of the best strength and conditioning coaches in the league, nutritionist, trainers and a host of resources for the players to be in tip-top condition. Why doesn't Hitch put down the history books and utilize some of these guys? Dude was slender for a while and looking healthy...but he's completely regressed and fallen off the wagon. I'm not one to crack someone for their appearance, but it's tough to preach accountability and demand your guys leave it all on the ice, when you yourself can't make an effort to practice what you preach. I can't help but think some of the guys in the room don't have a whole lot of respect for the 'do as i say, not as i do' attitude of the coach with regards to conditioning.

It's funny you mention this. I watched that Oshie goal in the other thread from 4 years ago when we beat the Sharks. The camera only pans on Hitchcock for about 2 seconds, but I was SHOCKED at how much thinner he looked 4 years ago. Guess I didn't realize how much it had crept back on. Pretty crazy you mention this about an hour after I realized it.

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
Most of us love the St. Louis Blues, even though it may not be good for our emotional well being, or financial health. But since (presumably) none of us work for the club or have a say so with the decision making, the best we can do is ask, "why the heck do they think _______ is a good idea?"

So...since we're in the dog days of summer, 3 months from camp, lets hear some of the things that make you go hmmmmmm, when it comes to decision-making from ownership and management.

Here's what i don't get:

Why the **** doesn't Brian Elliott get more respect from his own club? Sure he's not the prettiest goalie in the crease...but all he does is perform and put up incredible numbers. Yet, he's seemingly behind Jake Allen on the depth-chart according to Jeremy Rutherford's article, where Army is quote as saying,

I get the feeling that they'd just assume trade Elliott for a can of nacho cheese for the concession stand if they could find someone to take him off their hands and/or send them a young goalie in exchange.

Moving on...
What the **** does Darren Pang put in his cereal in the mornings to give him the frantic energy of a toddler on meth? He's like the love-child of Richard Simmons and the energizer bunny. That's not normal, right?

And lastly...

Feel free to add to the list...we'll see how many questionable decisions, actions, behaviors we can come up with between now and 2015-2016 opening night.

Agree about Elliott and have no idea about Panger.

As for Hitch, I think the answer is pretty simple. Almost every aspect of his job involves sitting at his desk and he probably puts in about 15 hours a day. He is also a 63 year old man who probably has less and less energy. When he has to cut out things from his daily routine, he is going to cut out exercise before any of his coaching duties.

If the players have a problem with this than they aren't mentally tough enough to be professional athletes. Hitch's job is to coach. Their job is to be in the best physical condition they can be. His weight has nothing to do with his job and shouldn't affect a player's drive to do his own job. I guarantee Hitch puts in more hours than any player on the team, so none of them would have any credibility to question his work ethic.

StLHokie

May 27, 2014
North Carolina
How can a team play so hesitantly in the post season and so aggressive in the regular season. Why does it fall on the coach to motivate the players for the stanley cup playoffs?

2 Minute Minor

Hi Keeba!
Jun 3, 2008
Temple, Texas
Why do we consistently see players we know are very good defenders surrender the blue-line so passively? If its by strategic design, is there someone who can explain how that is supposed to work...because it sure looks like it doesn't work.

medkit

Mar 22, 2014
And lastly...

It's funny you mention this. I watched that Oshie goal in the other thread from 4 years ago when we beat the Sharks. The camera only pans on Hitchcock for about 2 seconds, but I was SHOCKED at how much thinner he looked 4 years ago. Guess I didn't realize how much it had crept back on. Pretty crazy you mention this about an hour after I realized it.

He is that weight because he had/has an eating disorder triggered by his father’s death when he was a kid and perpetuated by his mother’s death less than a decade later. He was an emotional eater, and he has been open about talking with his struggles with food that he’s had throughout his life. He is not shy about discussing his troubles. It's why he went from playing to coaching in his teens.. he got too big.

He was around 475 pounds back in the late 80s early 90s before he turned it around after a team physician told him he'd be dead in 6 months. They couldn't even properly weigh him at that point.

“Eventually, you have to make a decision if you want to live any longer,” said Hitchcock, 44. “I built this body; now I’ve got to break it down. I’m the guy that had to make the changes.”

He's been dieting and working out just about every day in the decades since. I think he got under 200 for a little while, not sure what he weighs now. I'm not sure why it has gone the other way but one reason is probably that it's just tough to stay as active once you crack 60.

Of course on the internet people make fun of him a lot, and that's sad. Opposing fans used to throw food at him. He could easily die in the next 5 years, and that's probably a threat he's lived with since he was 35. That kind of weight just taxes the hell out of your heart.

Last edited:

LGB51

2019 STANLEY CUP CHAMPION ST. LOUIS BLUES!
Oct 9, 2013
Arcola, IL
Who the **** makes the Blues schedule?! We open at home, then go on a 6 game road trip, in which 5 of the games are against tough playoff teams from last year. Then we come home and play the Isles, Lightning, Ducks & Wild. Then they get a couple days off followed by a B2B against LA & CHI (which they are back on the road for the latter) then finish up the murders row in Nashville. Opening night through the first week of November is going to be absolutely brutal.

BlueOil

"well-informed"
Apr 28, 2010
To answer your question about Elliott, the Blues have to find out what they have in Jake Allen. Making him the backup won't do that so he should take over as starter. If he can't get it done, then you go back to Elliott.

I agree with your other questions though.

Allen was given the reigns twice last season. We found out we have a goaltender that needs more work and still cracks under high pressure.

Make Allen a true back up and make him earn his way into a starting spot. If he can do that before Binnington, Husso, Lundstrom, etc pass him up, make him a starter.

medkit

Mar 22, 2014
Who the **** makes the Blues schedule?! We open at home, then go on a 6 game road trip, in which 5 of the games are against tough playoff teams from last year.

The Blues management typically asks for more road games at the start of the year because they can't compete with the Cardinals. Can't speak to the rest. We're usually strong starters though so I don't really mind frontloading tough teams.

2 Minute Minor

Hi Keeba!
Jun 3, 2008
Temple, Texas
Who the **** makes the Blues schedule?! We open at home, then go on a 6 game road trip, in which 5 of the games are against tough playoff teams from last year. Then we come home and play the Isles, Lightning, Ducks & Wild. Then they get a couple days off followed by a B2B against LA & CHI (which they are back on the road for the latter) then finish up the murders row in Nashville. Opening night through the first week of November is going to be absolutely brutal.

I'm actually pretty happy with that schedule. I think its to the Blues favor if they start the year playing good teams, including if they start with a losing record. If they're going to amount to anything I think the team needs to feel like the house is on fire first.

Remember how the Rangers started the season last year?

Apr 30, 2012
St. Louis, MO
What were they thinking?

Management: Chris Pronger for Brewer, Woywitka, and Lynch

Players: Forgetting to show up to the playoff games this year. They should have remembered.

Fans: Continuing to be Blues fans after everything

You can blame Bill Laurie for being a rotten dirty businessman for the Pronger trade. He basically ordered Pleau to dump Pronger for the first offer. Half the league didn't even know he was available. Laurie was so damn stupid that he thought trading off one of the best defenseman in the league would make the team more easy to sell.

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
1. Why the heck do they think bringing Hitch back is a good idea?

2. How the heck do they expect to get even value back on an apples to apples trade in today's NHL?

3. Why the heck doesn't management have faith in the best goalie we have had in this city in a long time and has given our team a real shot at winning every playoff series he has been the starter for us?

4. I am still waiting for an answer on Hitchcock.

5. Why sign a player to the most expensive contract on our team believing he is the missing piece and put him in a position to succeed or really give him any chance?

An Finally....

6. No seriously, why the $%^& did they bring Hitchcock back?

anlongo13

Aug 6, 2014
Ottumwa, IA
He is that weight because he had/has an eating disorder triggered by his father’s death when he was a kid and perpetuated by his mother’s death less than a decade later. He was an emotional eater, and he has been open about talking with his struggles with food that he’s had throughout his life. He is not shy about discussing his troubles. It's why he went from playing to coaching in his teens.. he got too big.

He was around 475 pounds back in the late 80s early 90s before he turned it around after a team physician told him he'd be dead in 6 months. They couldn't even properly weigh him at that point.

“Eventually, you have to make a decision if you want to live any longer,” said Hitchcock, 44. “I built this body; now I’ve got to break it down. I’m the guy that had to make the changes.”

He's been dieting and working out just about every day in the decades since. I think he got under 200 for a little while, not sure what he weighs now. I'm not sure why it has gone the other way but one reason is probably that it's just tough to stay as active once you crack 60.

Of course on the internet people make fun of him a lot, and that's sad. Opposing fans used to throw food at him. He could easily die in the next 5 years, and that's probably a threat he's lived with since he was 35. That kind of weight just taxes the hell out of your heart.

Honestly didn't know about that. Making fun of someone's weight is messed up regardless of his/her situation, but that makes it even worse.

I always figured he was like most middle aged men and just at the point of his life where he doesn't give two ****s about outside opinion and let himself go.

Last edited by a moderator:

Multimoodia

Sicker Than Usual
Nov 6, 2010
The Range
You can blame Bill Laurie for being a rotten dirty businessman for the Pronger trade. He basically ordered Pleau to dump Pronger for the first offer. Half the league didn't even know he was available. Laurie was so damn stupid that he thought trading off one of the best defenseman in the league would make the team more easy to sell.

Oh...no. No you can't just blame Laurie.

A large amount of that blame falls upon the shoulders of Mark Sauer who I believe I have noted before would be best served chopped up and stuffed down a garbage disposal. Laurie just wanted Pronger gone, Sauer was the one who didn't want to advertise they were moving him.

DeuceNine

Like You Read About
Aug 6, 2006
Stymieville

Here's what i don't get:

Thing for Brian is, he's used to getting screwed here. I'm sure by this point he just chuckles and accepts it for what it is. Fortunately, his pace hasn't diminished.

Moving on...

Panger is a self-admitted coffee junkie. You have to figure a grande anything with his little body is like meth to most of the rest of us.

And lastly...

Like housewives, coaches getting fat is a sign they're too comfortable. When Hitch was searching for a job, he was (allegedly) doing P90x to lose some of the flub. He's gotten out of hand since being here. I get head coaching jobs are time-consuming, but c'mon. At least he could eat better.

My burning question is why God wasn't Oshie traded immediately after Sochi. We could have raked most teams over the coals.

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
My burning question is why God wasn't Oshie traded immediately after Sochi. We could have raked most teams over the coals.

And lost out on the huge jump in jersey sales and ticket sales. Oshie was the #2 best selling jersey in the second half of that season, IIRC. St. Louis needed the revenue more than the players.

anlongo13

Aug 6, 2014
Ottumwa, IA

In hindsight, I agree. But come on, no team would have done that. The Blues got so much exposure both local and nationally. Would be interested to see the if there was a significant jump in tickets after the Olympics. But more importantly, the fan backlash would have been spectacular.

DeuceNine

Like You Read About
Aug 6, 2006
Stymieville
In hindsight, I agree. But come on, no team would have done that. The Blues got so much exposure both local and nationally. Would be interested to see the if there was a significant jump in tickets after the Olympics. But more importantly, the fan backlash would have been spectacular.

Sell high is my philosophy.

As far as jersey sales and somesuch, I'm sure most fans and the team would have traded those things for a deeper playoff run. Of course we're assuming that would have happened but we know it didn't.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad