Here’s to the ones who have written off Henrik Lundqvist

stepdad gaary

Dec 5, 2011
So. You're saying all of those goalies would win the Vezina on the Islanders, Rangers, Oilers, Canadiens, etc?
when did i make any claims about anyone winning anything? im dont make it a habit of just spouting off my opinions like fact.

Do you want me to list where Nashville finished in high danger chances against and scoring chances against compared to teams even like Pittsburgh?
providing some data would be one way to make your point stronger, sure.

There are stats all over the place that indicate they are on better defensive teams. But whatever fills your agenda.
not sure what agenda you think i have. i provided some stats about my point showing that he had stretches of good play behind that awful defense so maybe its not as simple as "bad defense hank play bad"

Honestly, a .915 over the last 3 years on this team is solid. I'm sorry you cant put stats in context. They're all absolute.
you didnt provide any context. the fact remains he's been average at best the last 2 years. if you want to say thats for reasons other than himself, i would suggest coming up with actual reasons not just saying it. The stats you mentioned providing would be a good start.

Leafslet

Oct 19, 2011
TO
imo he’s the last of the 90s style goaltenders, who basically stay dominsnt until 40.

Kupo

MAFIA, MOUNT UP!
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Stamford CT
Wow, amazing. 5 games with 40% winrate.

Now I'm convinced that he'll win the Vezina this season.

We're clearly dealing with an expert here, folks.

Hq5zwHM.gif

StoneHands

Feb 26, 2013
High Danger Scoring Chances Against - Google it. Study it. Understand it.

Then come back here and re-post your opinion.
Players over the age of 35 tend to decline and aren't as good as when they're 28-29. No studying required but if you don't believe me, google it I guess. If you think Lundqvist is as good today as he was 6-10 years ago then this conversation is over because I'm dealing with someone in denial.

Kupo

MAFIA, MOUNT UP!
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Stamford CT
Players over the age of 35 tend to decline and aren't as good as when they're 28-29. No studying required but if you don't believe me, google it I guess. If you think Lundqvist is as good today as he was 6-10 years ago then this conversation is over because I'm dealing with someone in denial.
Did I suggest he was as good now as he was 6-10 years ago...? Nope.

StoneHands

Feb 26, 2013
Did I suggest he was as good now as he was 6-10 years ago...? Nope.
Did I mention anything about high danger scoring chances? Nope. I simply pointed out that I'll go with what he's done over the last 185 games rather than the last 5 and somehow that got you're feathers all ruffled? Sorry.

Kupo

MAFIA, MOUNT UP!
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Stamford CT
Did I mention anything about high danger scoring chances? Nope. I simply pointed out that I'll go with what he's done over the last 185 games rather than the last 5 and somehow that got you're feathers all ruffled? Sorry.
My feathers don't look good ruffled, man...

Is Henrik as good as he was during his peak? Of course not..

Are his numbers over the last 185 games misleading due to the alarming frequency of high danger scoring chances his team has been given up? Absolutely. That's all I'm trying to say.

Now.. What are you going to do about these feathers you messed up....?

Reactions: JFG and haveandare

StoneHands

Feb 26, 2013
My feathers don't look good ruffled, man...

Is Henrik as good as he was during his peak? Of course not..

Are his numbers over the last 185 games misleading due to the alarming frequency of high danger scoring chances his team has been given up? Absolutely. That's all I'm trying to say.

Now.. What are you going to do about these feathers you messed up....?
And all I'm trying to say is that starting a thread calling out the haters based on a 5 game sample is laughable.

It's a long season so there's no sense fixing those feathers just to see them all ruffled again.

QJL

Jan 2, 2014
Henrik has been playing behind one of the the worst defenses in the league for the past few seasons. He might not be the top goalie in the league, but his advanced stats have continually shown in to be a top 10 goalie for over a decade now, the last few years included. Nothing different this year. Crazy people wrote him off has a bottom half starters.

Having said that, there is a Prince coming who might steal his job in the near future.

Reactions: haveandare

Kupo

MAFIA, MOUNT UP!
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Stamford CT
And all I'm trying to say is that starting a thread calling out the haters based on a 5 game sample is laughable.

It's a long season so there's no sense fixing those feathers just to see them all ruffled again.

MoltingOwl.jpg

I hope you're happy....

jetsforever

Dec 14, 2013
Probably the best goalie of his generation, good to see that he's not slowing down too much (even though his team is)

Lays

Jan 22, 2017
He’s changed his style for the better and Quinn’s defensive system is much better than AV’s where Hank was facing a ton of breakaways/odd man rushes every game. He’s a top 10 goalie still and one of the best playoff goalies all time.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
The Rangers are currently running at 2.89 xGA/60, which is not good at all, but still way down from what AV was doing.

Now their defense just sucks instead of literally not playing a system on top of their defense sucking.

Look at GSAA if you ever thought Lundqvist was done. Sure, not what he used to be, but he still grades out as top 7-12 in the league.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
He'll be an average goalie with flashes of brilliance from the past. You can do worse, you can do better. Get back to me with numbers in January.

Chimpradamus

Feb 16, 2006
Northern Sweden
whats more likely the norm, the .914 save% over his last 125 games or the .939 from the last 5?
Bottom 3 in the league in high danger scoring chances against is my vote. Vignaeault chased Luongo out of Vancouver. Guess who outlasted who in New York? That says alot. Look at what other goalies on dumpster fire teams defensively produced.

Goose

Apr 18, 2006
I don't think people wrote him off so much as they lost interest in him. There are more interesting goalie story lines these days, he's not putting up incredible numbers, and the Rangers are a poor team. I can't recall hearing anyone "writing him off" so much as they're just not talking about him.

All the respect in the world to the King, he's still a high quality goalie, he's just not as relevant/talked about as he once was.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad