Here’s to the ones who have written off Henrik Lundqvist

AIexisLafreniereNYR

Registered Drug User
Jan 25, 2009
New York City
Lets just start off by saying, eh, yeah, his numbers last year we’re.. ehh... But that defense will have anyone left to dry. He was absolutely stellar despite almost a .3 gaa, yeah he had some bad games but yikes the Rangers are a bottom tier team.

Thus far, and Hank take a while to get going has been nothing but a brick wall. The team might be worse and he’s making ridiculous saves, looks like he’s well in his prime.

2-3 Record - 1.99 GAA - .939 SV%

I mean, I have serious doubts he can keep numbers like this due to the team being pretty weak all around. It sure is an indication his game hasn’t gone anywhere.

Just saying for the ones who wrote him off. And there’s a lot of them out there.

Fataldogg

Mar 22, 2007
His numbers last year were solid. He was the only starting goaltender in NHL last season where his team finished bottom 10 in high danger chances against and put up over a .910SV% [.915SV% above league average]. It's more impressive that his team was bottom-3 in high danger chances against.

People who say he wasnt good last year are just stat watching and not putting any numbers into context.

Nick Hansen

Sep 28, 2017
I honestly think Lundqvist could remain great until the last day of his career. He's very committed and professional.

Reactions: EdJovanovski

stepdad gaary

Dec 5, 2011
Do you see that defense and structure with that head coach of ours the last 2 years? It all fell apart. He can only do so much

you're more than welcome to go all in off 5 games or w.e. but its not like he never strung together good games last year.

Games 3-7: .929 save%
Games 14-20: .948 save%
Games 23-35: .938 save%

im just saying maybe dont shove him back in the vezina talks

Kaapo Cabana

Next name: Admiral Kakkbar
Sep 5, 2014
Philadelphia
whats more likely the norm, the .914 save% over his last 125 games or the .939 from the last 5?
Clearly .914

but there has been a fundamental change between the 2 stat lines (a defensive system) that has a great effect on goalie performance. Its not unreasonable to think Hank will perform better with a better defensive system (assuming it is actually better, and not a mirage)

Reactions: haveandare

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Wow, amazing. 5 games with 40% winrate.

Now I'm convinced that he'll win the Vezina this season.

Allan92

Jan 2, 2016
Meath
Jinx thread

(but seriously, he's still a top 10 goalie easily, top 3 when he's on a great stretch. That list that had him in the bottom 8 nhl goalies was out to lunch)

Fataldogg

Mar 22, 2007
you're more than welcome to go all in off 5 games or w.e. but its not like he never strung together good games last year.

You know goalies like Rinne wouldn't be in the Vezina talks on teams like the Rangers and Islanders right?

That's why I take his .914 over his last 125 with a grain of salt. Team is a dumpster fire.

It's not surprising that the goalies nominated for the Vezina last year were from Nashville, Winnepeg and Tampa.

Reactions: bigbuffalo313

StoneHands

Feb 26, 2013
This 5 game sample is more than enough to prove the previous 185 games where he had a .915 SV% and 2.73GAA were just a fluke.

AIexisLafreniereNYR

Registered Drug User
Jan 25, 2009
New York City

Are you putting words in my mouth? All I say is ease up on the decline talk. Lundqvist is still a top 10, Elite goaltender. You’re the only one who said the word Vezina in this thread. He has had barley an NHL defense the last few years. I won’t argue the any longer that a goaltender can only do so much with the product that’s iced.

AIexisLafreniereNYR

Registered Drug User
Jan 25, 2009
New York City
How you you know this?

link?
I see rankings and where people typically place Lundqvist a top goaltending list. Usually outside the top 10. And it’s clearly people who haven’t watched Lundqvist and just look at numbers and I find it rather amusing because if there’s no Lundqvist the last 2 years the Rangers are the worst team in the NHL. The Rangers should be 0-6 this year.

stepdad gaary

Dec 5, 2011
You know goalies like Rinne wouldn't be in the Vezina talks on teams like the Rangers and Islanders right?

youre more than welcome to believe that but it really isnt anything beyond an opinion. you didnt even try to back it up with a single stat.

That's why I take his .914 over his last 125 with a grain of salt. Team is a dumpster fire.

like i said in the post that you quoted, he had many stretches of great play behind that dumpster fire last year.

It's not surprising that the goalies nominated for the Vezina last year were from Nashville, Winnepeg and Tampa.

just give him the vezina now i guess. no way this is anything like the last 2 years where he has stretches of good play and stretches of bad play en route to average seasons.

Fataldogg

Mar 22, 2007
youre more than welcome to believe that but it really isnt anything beyond an opinion. you didnt even try to back it up with a single stat.

like i said in the post that you quoted, he had many stretches of great play behind that dumpster fire last year.

just give him the vezina now i guess. no way this is anything like the last 2 years where he has stretches of good play and stretches of bad play en route to average seasons.

So. You're saying all of those goalies would win the Vezina on the Islanders, Rangers, Oilers, Canadiens, etc?

Do you want me to list where Nashville finished in high danger chances against and scoring chances against compared to teams even like Pittsburgh? Seriously, look up advanced stats. I dont have to do the research for you. Go to any hockey site and look up corsi, high danger chances, scoring chances, shots against, etc. Teams like Nashville, Tampa and Winnepeg are simply better and it shows in the standings.

There are stats all over the place that indicate they are on better defensive teams. But whatever fills your agenda.

Honestly, a .915 over the last 3 years on this team is solid. I'm sorry you cant put stats in context. They're all absolute.

The Vezina is extremely team based. Bringing it up in a discussion about Lundqvist still being a good goalie at 36 is irrelevant.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->