Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
League Average SV%/GAA

19-20 (Georgiev) .908/2.85
16-17 (Raanta) - .913/2.59
14-15 (Jones and Talbot) - .915/2.52
12-13 (Bernier) - .912/2.54

Teams score on a higher percentage of their shots now and thus more per game so any basic save percentage or GA analysis is obviously flawed. This also doesn't consider the quality of shots faced.
You will need to explain what this means, because i am missing it.

Going by Hockeydb
12-13 Bernier-..922/1.88
16-17 Raanta-.922/2,27
14-15 Jones-.906/2.25
19-20 Georgiev-.910/3.11

not sure what you are getting at here.

and ya, i don't have a stat for quality of shots...

SherVaughn30

Jan 12, 2010
Los Angeles
Would Lundqvist waive his NMC, 50% salary retained for Holtby? He would have a shot at winning a Cup and he can mentor Samsonov and then retire a Ranger after next season. Or maybe the Caps/Rangers could have a gentleman's agreement to trade back Lundqvist after this season. I know it sounds a bit crazy, but it could be a win/win for both teams. Maybe another player would have to be involved or a mid prospect.

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
You will need to explain what this means, because i am missing it.

Going by Hockeydb
12-13 Bernier-..922/1.88
16-17 Raanta-.922/2,27
14-15 Jones-.906/2.25
19-20 Georgiev-.910/3.11

not sure what you are getting at here.

and ya, i don't have a stat for quality of shots...

The league average save percentage and league average goals against average in those players last years before moving to a new team. a .912 now is not equivalent to .912 then it is much better.

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
The league average save percentage and league average goals against average in those players last years before moving to a new team. a .912 now is not equivalent to .912 then it is much better.
Not sure i agree. Save percentage is calculated the same way now as it was then. Divide the number of saves by the total number of shots on goal. So the player with the higher sv% stopped more of the shots he faced. Are the shots for some reason tougher now? Hard to gauge that...

If Rangers fans are content on calling hi a starter, then how about this...there are 43 goalies that have started a minimum of 23 game...21 of them have an equal or better sv% than Geo, which pretty much makes him middle of the pack...or average.

again, not bashing the kid, i just don't get the 'above average" tag people are putting on him. I mean he may end up an outstanding starter...but right now, he's another Bernier/Talbot/Jones risk.

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

Section32

May 26, 2011
CT
Not sure i agree. Save percentage is calculated the same way now as it was then. Divide the number of saves by the total number of shots on goal. So the player with the higher sv% stopped more of the shots he faced. Are the shots for some reason tougher now? Hard to gauge that...

If Rangers fans are content on calling hi a starter, then how about this...there are 43 goalies that have started a minimum of 23 game...21 of them have an equal or better sv% than Geo, which pretty much makes him middle of the pack...or average.

again, not bashing the kid, i just don't get the 'above average" tag people are putting on him. I mean he may end up an outstanding starter...but right now, he's another Bernier/Talbot/Jones risk.

It really is the case where you have to trust the fan base that watch the player daily.

He has been in 2-3 blowouts where nothing went right- so his numbers were affected a bit.

The youth on Rangers is very evident in d-zone. They had 3 rookies on back line for a good stretch.

The team consistently leaves the goalies having to make ridiculous saves. AG has looked brilliant on a number of occasions, which left fans with the belief that he can be a very good starting goalie in the NHL.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
It really is the case where you have to trust the fan base that watch the player daily.

He has been in 2-3 blowouts where nothing went right- so his numbers were affected a bit.

The youth on Rangers is very evident in d-zone. They had 3 rookies on back line for a good stretch.

The team consistently leaves the goalies having to make ridiculous saves. AG has looked brilliant on a number of occasions, which left fans with the belief that he can be a very good starting goalie in the NHL.

You should also take into account that some of us don't think he's any better than an average goaltender. Something I think you leave out is that he's had a lot of games where he can't stop a beach-ball, and gives the team no chance to win. His performances have a lot of extremes. It's often a great performance or a terrible performance. I think many ignore his bad performances and blame the defense for those.

biotk

Jan 3, 2017
Buffalo

The NHL implemented rule changes to restrict goalie equipment and increase goal scoring, so yes saves are tougher now (which was the entire purpose) and it is not hard to gauge.

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
The NHL implemented rule changes to restrict goalie equipment and increase goal scoring, so yes saves are tougher now (which was the entire purpose) and it is not hard to gauge.
Ok, and he's still middle of the pack.. not "above average". Again, the kud could end up being great, or he could remain "average" which is fine, but i just don't get the high trade value on him.

And i get folks will think i have an agenda, i don't.....just curious as to the hype.

biotk

Jan 3, 2017
Buffalo
Ok, and he's still middle of the pack.. not "above average". Again, the kud could end up being great, or he could remain "average" which is fine, but i just don't get the high trade value on him.

And i get folks will think i have an agenda, i don't.....just curious as to the hype.

I am just commenting about the change in sv%. He is above average in terms of sv%. Personally I think that sv% is way over-valued (not all shots are the same in terms of difficulty or workload - in fact they are extremely different), so I don't care - I look at GSAA and also comparing GA to xGA and looking at Georgiev over the last two seasons I consider him to be above average for the former (23rd out of 69 goalies to have played over 1000 minutes over the past two years - Hutch is dead last) and well above league average for the latter (8th out of 69, ahead of Freddie and Hutch is, of course, dead last).

What that means for his value, I don't know, or really care. If I were the Rangers I would buy out Lund this summer and keep both their young guys.

Reactions: Off Sides

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
I am just commenting about the change in sv%. He is above average in terms of sv%. Personally I think that sv% is way over-valued (not all shots are the same in terms of difficulty or workload - in fact they are extremely different), so I don't care - I look at GSAA and also comparing GA to xGA and looking at Georgiev over the last two seasons I consider him to be above average for the former (23rd out of 69 goalies to have played over 1000 minutes over the past two years - Hutch is dead last) and well above league average for the latter (8th out of 69, ahead of Freddie and Hutch is, of course, dead last).

What that means for his value, I don't know, or really care. If I were the Rangers I would buy out Lund this summer and keep both their young guys.
Can't argue that. With where the Rangers are, keeping Geo and Igor going forward is the perfect idea.

Reactions: Off Sides

Wingsfan 4 life

Oct 9, 2016
Pretty sure he prefers his fashionista lifestyle over cups. So, unless Paris or Milan get an NHL team, the chances of him waiving is nil.

Jerkbait

Dec 12, 2019

Yes like usually against the penguins when they would chase him....like when did bounced it in off his head !

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
Doubt he'll get much of a return due to age, NMC and huge salary. He might have a negative value, NYR just keeps him. Doubt he waives and he loves the team and city.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad