Proposal: Henrik Lundqvist to any team needing stronger goaltending

Chimpradamus

Feb 16, 2006
Northern Sweden
Here's the deal. NYR have basically stopped playing Lundqvist and he's stuck in a goalie rotation system of three goalies. Both Georgiev and Shestyorkin(?) are very promising, solid goalies at very young age, while NYR are going absolutely nowhere. They're clearly in a rebuild and they don't care about wins.

Initially, Lundqvist has stated he didn't want to be traded, despite the open letter of a rebuild. I'm inclined to think it's very much possible Lundqvist could waive his NMC and accept to be traded to another team, which would retain 50% of his salary. The thing is, he's still a really good goalie.

Before NYR buried him and didn't let him play enough games, as the workhorse he still is, he had extremely good advanced stats among goalies. Top of the league two months in.

Here's the second best thing: he's playing a very spectatular goalie style nowadays. Formerly known as "Lundpads" and being very systematic, playing deep and being very positional, this is no longer the case. Getting older, losing his catlike reflexes, he now plays in a way you cannot coach. Just look at his highlights from two years ago alone:

To be honest, he's playing much more like he did before joining the NHL. Throwing the stick, sprawling, stacking pads, all those things. And if he wants to enjoy hockey, he HAS to be traded now.

TL;DR Which team is willing to trade for Lundqvist for anything + $4.25m in salary and getting a better goalie? What are your offers?

HawkeyTalkMan

Jun 23, 2015
honestly, with his salary, even at 50% retention, with term remaining, at his age, and declining play, the best NYR can probably look at is:

Hank @ 50%

for

3rd + 4th, MAYBE a lone 2nd if a team is desperate

Reactions: motopanekeku
Feb 27, 2002
NYC
Here's the deal. NYR have basically stopped playing Lundqvist and he's stuck in a goalie rotation system of three goalies. Both Georgiev and Shestyorkin(?) are very promising, solid goalies at very young age, while NYR are going absolutely nowhere. They're clearly in a rebuild and they don't care about wins.

Initially, Lundqvist has stated he didn't want to be traded, despite the open letter of a rebuild. I'm inclined to think it's very much possible Lundqvist could waive his NMC and accept to be traded to another team, which would retain 50% of his salary. The thing is, he's still a really good goalie.

Before NYR buried him and didn't let him play enough games, as the workhorse he still is, he had extremely good advanced stats among goalies. Top of the league two months in.

Here's the second best thing: he's playing a very spectatular goalie style nowadays. Formerly known as "Lundpads" and being very systematic, playing deep and being very positional, this is no longer the case. Getting older, losing his catlike reflexes, he now plays in a way you cannot coach. Just look at his highlights from two years ago alone:

To be honest, he's playing much more like he did before joining the NHL. Throwing the stick, sprawling, stacking pads, all those things. And if he wants to enjoy hockey, he HAS to be traded now.

TL;DR Which team is willing to trade for Lundqvist for anything + $4.25m in salary and getting a better goalie? What are your offers?

1) It would have to be a team that he would agree to go too.
2) That means it would be a team that could win the Cup.
3) That team would still need to have the cap space to take him on even at 50%
4) I'm not sure that team exists

Shootertooter

Feb 20, 2016
1) It would have to be a team that he would agree to go too.
2) That means it would be a team that could win the Cup.
3) That team would still need to have the cap space to take him on even at 50%
4) I'm not sure that team exists

Besides the fact that I don't see Hank waiving his NMC, I'm not sure there is an elite playoff team that can fit him in barring a major injury to their starter.

SML2

Jan 1, 2018
Besides the fact that I don't see Hank waiving his NMC, I'm not sure there is an elite playoff team that can fit him in barring a major injury to their starter.
This.
Could we retain 50%, then trade him to a middle man team who would hold 50% of the remaining salary, getting him to his final destination at 25%?

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Unless Hank opens his NMC, these conversations are pretty moot. Rangers could retain salary then, opening a lot of options for other teams, but again it is all in his control. I don't see him going anywhere. Will most likely trade Georgy get a nice return, and let Hank back up for Igor next season and be his mentor.

Chardo

Apr 27, 2007
There may be no player, in any sport, less likely to waive his NTC than Lundqvist. He's not going anywhere.

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
Unless Hank opens his NMC, these conversations are pretty moot. Rangers could retain salary then, opening a lot of options for other teams, but again it is all in his control. I don't see him going anywhere. Will most likely trade Georgy get a nice return, and let Hank back up for Igor next season and be his mentor.

If you think a nice return for Georgiev is a 2nd at best, and possibly less, then you're right. He doesn't have the value some Ranger fans think he has, and that is coming from the mouth of an actual NHL exec.

Reactions: vtdevils2k

mrmovies779

The Greatest Teacher,Failure is.
Feb 5, 2013
If you think a nice return for Georgiev is a 2nd at best, and possibly less, then you're right. He doesn't have the value some Ranger fans think he has, and that is coming from the mouth of an actual NHL exec.
And we certainly know all NHL executives are never wrong when judging a players value..

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014

I remember Friedman writing 2 weeks ago that he's starting to be open towards the idea of him not finishing his career in NYC

Mrfenn92

Proud to be American
Sponsor
Nov 27, 2018
Chicago,Illinois
I don't see any deal by the deadline. Offseason trade at half retention for a low round pick or another contract that has one year left.
Until he says yes none of this means anything.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad