Tribute Henrik Lundqvist Retires

TheKing30

Nov 20, 2011
NJ
As someone in their mid to late 20s Henrik will always be special to me, growing up watching him play. Its always a rare case where an all time dominant athlete stays in 1 place for so long. Incredible memories thanks to this man

WojtekWolski86

Nov 14, 2019
I remember the countless times where we were hemmed into our zone, especially in the playoffs and Hank held down the fort. When it came to Game 7, you knew Hank would show up. It's a shame he never had a reliable offense.

Hank was the light that helped bring us out of the dark ages of playoff drought of mercenary teams.

AIexisLafreniereNYR

Registered Drug User
Jan 25, 2009
New York City
I love you hank!!!!

Im 26 so this is the first time a NYR legend is retiring that I was old enough to follow his entire career.

This sad. While I wanted him to be successful for Washington, and win a cup. It’s something that he never officially played another game asides from Frolunda, Sweden, and the Rangers.

Nevertheless #30 will be hung from MSG in no time. And he has stated he’ll be working for the NYR.

One of the GOATS. We’re so lucky guys!

SML2

Jan 1, 2018
I really think Lundqvist is the best player who ever wore this sweater. The most consistent career for the longest time. He was basically a top five goalie from the time he stepped on the ice until about 2 years before he left.
He's one guy that the first moment you ever saw him play, you knew was a special player. I remember the first time I saw him drop down and go post to post, I immediately knew Kevin Weekes was done here.

Siddi

Rangers Masochist
Mar 8, 2013
Global
Sad but understandable. Selfish part of me is happy he never played a game for the Caps.

My canon is that he retired a Ranger.

Reactions: Ginger Papa

SML2

Jan 1, 2018
We need to have him be the EBUG one night and have both starters come up lame. The Garden would go f***ing bananas. It would be straight WWE. Kinkaid and Georgie go down, and then the Garden goes quiet. Then the PA system quietly at first, but gradually raises the volume on a prerecorded "Henrik" chant. Then running down the aisle a la Hulk Hogan out comes #30. And that was the night they blew the roof off the Garden.

Kupo

MAFIA, MOUNT UP!
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Stamford CT
goat-with-crown-picture-id489152516

HockeyBasedNYC

Feeling it
Aug 2, 2005
Here

Starting to hit me now. :(

I remember his first game vividly. We were all so excited to get this kid from Sweden over. After the first few starts we all knew he was going to be something special. MSG anointed him very quickly as the next great and boy did he live up to it.

The kid turned into a man and put this team on his back season after season. That cannot be understated. He literally carried the team. He was incredibly professional, first class - with an insane work ethic and drive to succeed. He loved to win. His drive, passion and competitiveness were second to none and to me he was the unofficial captain and voice of the Rangers.

I loved listening to his postgames. He was very candid and forthright. He had the pulse of the team in mind and you could tell how much winning meant to him, especially in the playoffs. He always gave maximum effort. He wanted it more than a lot of other players and you could see that.

He will go down in history as one of the Rangers greats and I am happy to say that I was there for it all. All of those nights watching games. I always felt comfortable knowing he was back there, because he never, ever, quit on a play, his teammates or this city.

As things winded down in his career he understood where his place was and didnt say a peep. He took on a very difficult role like a true professional. It was very difficult and thats something fans should never forget. He deserved one last send off before he went to the Caps.

But he'll get his moment when they raise #30 to the rafters. I cant wait to see that and he will continue to be a big part of the Rangers family going forward.

Hen-rik, Hen-rik!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad