Player Discussion Henrik Lundqvist part IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dagoon44

Sep 15, 2003
NJ
dagoon44.blogspot.com
wow, six more years of the most-consistent and best goalie to play in the nhl post-lockout? Sign me up.

you are sooooo off base here..the guy has won nothing in his youth and now is clearly showing signs of getting old. For the 0101020203030303 time he is good not great never won a cup and been outplayed in series more then he has outplayed the other goalie. This contract is horrible

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
you are sooooo off base here..the guy has won nothing in his youth and now is clearly showing signs of getting old. For the 0101020203030303 time he is good not great never won a cup and been outplayed in series more then he has outplayed the other goalie. This contract is horrible

Lundqvist is objectively great. Objectively the best and most consistent goalie since 2005. Objectively a lock for the Hall of Fame.

We are, and have been, spoiled.

Is he slowing down? Maybe.

Is it ridiculous to say he's 'good not great'? Yes. He is great. In fact, he's generational. He is nowhere near the reason this team doesn't have any cups since he started playing here. But on multiple occasions, he has been the reason the Rangers even make the playoffs. All those years we were bubble teams, he's the reason we were bubble and not golfing.

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ

See, these are opinions, not facts.

haohmaru

boomshakalaka
Aug 26, 2009
Fleming Island, Fl

2 SEL championships (2003/2005) and an Olympic Gold in 2006 and he "won nothing in his youth".

Most consistent goalie of all time. "Good not great".

Ridiculous.

Dagoon44

Sep 15, 2003
NJ
dagoon44.blogspot.com
2 SEL championships (2003/2005) and an Olympic Gold in 2006 and he "won nothing in his youth".

Most consistent goalie of all time. "Good not great".

Ridiculous.

I want a cup in NYC not a gold metal for a country I don't belong to.. Guys he is a made up super hero. He came here when we sucked and he made us better i agree he is the Rangers David Wright. Mythical figure but not worthy of the praise imo.. You can love him I just dont is that fair ?

NYRKING30

Apr 29, 2011
NYC
I want a cup in NYC not a gold metal for a country I don't belong to.. Guys he is a made up super hero. He came here when we sucked and he made us better i agree he is the Rangers David Wright. Mythical figure but not worthy of the praise imo.. You can love him I just dont is that fair ?

Calling Hank, the Rangers David Wright is a slap in the face to all involved. IDK why u compare a guy whose been injured the past several seasons and was never the best at his position for even one season. You absolutely don't have to love him as thats your opinion and your feelings. Im a Met fan, I wish David Wright had even a quarter of the success Hank has had in his career.

Beer League Sniper

Homeless Man's Rick Nash
Apr 27, 2010
City in a Forest
The Rangers as an organization wasted Hank's best years with extremely crappy teams. Teams that had no business finishing above the bottom-5 in the league, let alone making the playoffs.

The defenses that we've iced the past two seasons might be as bad or worse than those mid-2000s teams. The difference is that this incarnation of Hank doesn't make the impossible saves that the younger version did, and gives up soft goals that he never used to.

Henrik Lundqvist might be the best goaltender in NHL history, but even legends get old. He needs to tweak his style a bit to make up for his slowing reflexes, and find some way to keep his focus and trim down on the softies, because the product he's put out this season, and really the past calendar year, isn't up to snuff.

Hi ImHFNYR

Jan 10, 2013
Wherever I'm standing atm
the guy has won nothing in his youth

never won a cup

and been outplayed in series more then he has outplayed the other goalie. This contract is horrible

As for the first two things. Those are really stupid arguments considering it's a team sport where a goalie LITERALLY cannot win by himself.

To the third point. If that's your opinion then you're entitled to it.

The the fourth. I actually agree. For 8 years to ask for the AAV he did makes this a bad contract (at best) for the length of the deal. I'll be happy to be proven wrong

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
As for the first two things. Those are really stupid arguments considering it's a team sport where a goalie LITERALLY cannot win by himself.

To the third point. If that's your opinion then you're entitled to it.

The the fourth. I actually agree. For 8 years to ask for the AAV he did makes this a bad contract (at best) for the length of the deal. I'll be happy to be proven wrong

Agreed on all of this.

I'd even go so far as to say that the contract issue is making a lot of folks look right (in that the term+AAV was a joke and that he was given a good bit too much for the term length).

Revel

Dark Sky Enthusiast
Oct 20, 2015
Dunning–Krugerville
Agree that it is a bad contract. To take on an 8.5m cap hit on a player until that player is in their late thirties is a tough pill to swallow...especially when that player relies on physical gifts and not so much on fundamentals. I love the guy, but his AAV is really going to start to hurt the team.

NewLife

Apr 29, 2011
Oslo
Agree that it is a bad contract. To take on an 8.5m cap hit on a player until that player is in their late thirties is a tough pill to swallow...especially when that player relies on physical gifts and not so much on fundamentals. I love the guy, but his AAV is really going to start to hurt the team.

That has always been the case really since they gave him a very generous retirement contract. However I don't think it'll hurt that much. I mean we have Girardi for example an getting by quite good also this Sheshty kid will come in and save they day and future with his ELC.

Open Mind

Nov 14, 2014
A good article, some doubters here should read this for some perspective.

http://www.blueshirtbanter.com/2016/12/8/13882660/henrik-lundqvist-isn-t-the-problem

The article showed it's finger isn't on the pulse pretty much right in the headline: "Henrik Lundqvist Isn’t The Problem." Those few saying Hank is the problem, and those at the other extreme absolving him of any possible fault, are the problem. The incredibly strong majority acknowledge Hank looks off and/or isn't up to his normal speed and also realize the team has other glaring issues, as well. Ray Charles' corpse can see this.

But for all your explanations why Lundqvist isn't as off as he appears, or that folks like myself - who have watched the game for 45 years, coached it, and played for decades - are not qualified to have an opinion on a goalie because we're not goalie coaches and thus are not technically fit to say anything... you don't seem to have a viable explanation why Raanta looks more relaxed out there and is yielding better results with the exact same personnel in front of him this season.

I don't generally get into the business of hating on any modern players. I played NCAA in the mid-80s, the game has improved drastically since then, and any NHL player today could skate circles around my best peak. So I don't throw random criticisms around or say guys who are better than me suck. But I can see that Hank looks off, seemingly more mentally than physically, and in a very deep division where points are at a premium to even make the playoffs, I do want to see the NYR ice the best team. And if that means Hank needs to iron things out and sit a few, I am perfectly okay with that. I am a huge huge huge Lundqvist fan. But the team should always be before and above any individual.

chosen

Aug 2, 2005
ASPG

Hasek won less in his youth and he is easily the best I've ever seen.

Sometimes it seems like you have something intensely personal against Lundqvist.

haohmaru

boomshakalaka
Aug 26, 2009
Fleming Island, Fl

We all want a Cup. Put that on the shoulders of 19 guys that are on the ice, not on one.

LA completely outplayed, outmanned, and outpossessed us and we took three games to OT for one reason. That TEAM wasn't good enough. Our goalie was.

I'd put forth that YOU need to stop looking for a "super hero mythical figure" in net to deliver a Cup. It's like Hasek in Buffalo - the team around him was never good enough. Same here.

You need an elite goalie, an elite center, and an elite defenseman at the bare minimum. I like Stepan. He's not Crosby, Toews, Kopitar, Malkin, Bergeron, Getzlaf or Datsyuk. McD isn't Keith or Doughty or Letang. Is Lundqvist > Quick, Murray, Fluery, etc...? I think so. I don't think our shortcomings were in net.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
The article showed it's finger isn't on the pulse pretty much right in the headline: "Henrik Lundqvist Isn’t The Problem." Those few saying Hank is the problem, and those at the other extreme absolving him of any possible fault, are the problem. The incredibly strong majority acknowledge Hank looks off and/or isn't up to his normal speed and also realize the team has other glaring issues, as well. Ray Charles' corpse can see this.

But for all your explanations why Lundqvist isn't as off as he appears, or that folks like myself - who have watched the game for 45 years, coached it, and played for decades - are not qualified to have an opinion on a goalie because we're not goalie coaches and thus are not technically fit to say anything... you don't seem to have a viable explanation why Raanta looks more relaxed out there and is yielding better results with the exact same personnel in front of him this season.

I don't generally get into the business of hating on any modern players. I played NCAA in the mid-80s, the game has improved drastically since then, and any NHL player today could skate circles around my best peak. So I don't throw random criticisms around or say guys who are better than me suck. But I can see that Hank looks off, seemingly more mentally than physically, and in a very deep division where points are at a premium to even make the playoffs, I do want to see the NYR ice the best team. And if that means Hank needs to iron things out and sit a few, I am perfectly okay with that. I am a huge huge huge Lundqvist fan. But the team should always be before and above any individual.

Absolutely fantastic post and showcases why the obnoxious, arrogant belief that only a goalie can somehow analyze his play is just so off base. Well said and a great read.

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
We all want a Cup. Put that on the shoulders of 19 guys that are on the ice, not on one.

LA completely outplayed, outmanned, and outpossessed us and we took three games to OT for one reason. That TEAM wasn't good enough. Our goalie was.

I'd put forth that YOU need to stop looking for a "super hero mythical figure" in net to deliver a Cup. It's like Hasek in Buffalo - the team around him was never good enough. Same here.

You need an elite goalie, an elite center, and an elite defenseman at the bare minimum. I like Stepan. He's not Crosby, Toews, Kopitar, Malkin, Bergeron, Getzlaf or Datsyuk. McD isn't Keith or Doughty or Letang. Is Lundqvist > Quick, Murray, Fluery, etc...? I think so. I don't think our shortcomings were in net.

Imho henrik lundqvist shoulda received conn Smythe votes.

Ori

#Connor Bedard 2023 1st, Chicago Blackhawks
Nov 7, 2014
Norway
I`m positive that we will reach the playoffs this year, but I`m worried about this playoffs series when teams start to play physical hockey. Against LA earlier in the cup final - the team was out muscled as well and too soft. Not that our GM Jeff Gorton have done anything to improve that area of the team, but it`s not part of the NYR org. strategy and all about speed and quick transition hockey it seems.

Siddi

Rangers Masochist
Mar 8, 2013
Global

For every 10 ridiculous and hyperbolic post we get 1 like this one.

Great post :handclap:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad