Player Discussion Henrik Lundqvist part IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

ArPanet

May 3, 2012
We used to see discussions like this about Mike Richter on the old New York Times Rangers forum. Guy with the handle sgrayson1 hated him, called him, "he won us da cup".

Anthony5967

Dec 24, 2015
Strong Island, NY
Henrik Lundqvist won the Vezina with Stu Bickel, Steve Eminger, and Jeff Woywitka playing 120 games combined.

he was also nominated in 06, 07, 08 and 13.
With stalwarts like Jason Strudwick, Sandis Ozolinsh, Tom Poti, Kaspar, Malik, Rachunek, Pock, etc all seeing the ice a decent amount of time. not to mention Girardi and Staal were there as well.

If he can play at that level then, what about now?

Those defenseman sucked as well.

Also, this whole...he has no faith in the D thing...also goes 2 ways...ive played on many teams where ive had no faith in my goalie...and as a defenseman, you play differently when your goalie is gives up bad goals every game. its a 2-way street.

Agree with all this.

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
We used to see discussions like this about Mike Richter on the old New York Times Rangers forum. Guy with the handle sgrayson1 hated him, called him, "he won us da cup".

Henrik lundqvist is in my all time top 3 favorite rangers. Easily my favorite rangers goalie of all time. A hall of famer. A legend.

Doesn't mean u can't be critical of him when it's warranted.

Maximus

Dec 23, 2003
Doylestown, PA
Henrik lundqvist is in my all time top 3 favorite rangers. Easily my favorite rangers goalie of all time. A hall of famer. A legend.

Doesn't mean u can't be critical of him when it's warranted.

You can be critical of Hank as much as you want Inferno and as much as I love Raanta who I'm pretty confident is the best backup goalie in the league, I believe it would be a huge mistake to think Raanta should take over the #1 gig and make Hanky the backup. We still have 2/3's of the year to go and I don't see any reason why it would be unlikely that Hank would start to get this chit together and be the stud he's always been for us.

I totally agree that he's been maddeningly inconsistent this season but I am not ready to throw in the towel on him. Raanta has been awesome...no question. And Allaire has obviously tought him well like he did for Prince Cam. As much as I love Raanta and admire how well he's performed, let's go easy on annointing him as the next Dominc Hasek.

We have a great situation here and I for one think it's best that we stick it out with Hank as I have complete confidence he will get his chit together and we know with Raanta anytime he comes in, we have a great chance at winning the game as well. So let's chill a bit. Hank is still great, he just hasn't been as consistant as he's been in the past. There is still plenty of time for him to get his mojo back and I'm supremly confident he will in short order....

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
You can be critical of Hank as much as you want Inferno and as much as I love Raanta who I'm pretty confident is the best backup goalie in the league, I believe it would be a huge mistake to think Raanta should take over the #1 gig and make Hanky the backup. We still have 2/3's of the year to go and I don't see any reason why it would be unlikely that Hank would start to get this chit together and be the stud he's always been for us.

I totally agree that he's been maddeningly inconsistent this season but I am not ready to throw in the towel on him. Raanta has been awesome...no question. And Allaire has obviously tought him well like he did for Prince Cam. As much as I love Raanta and admire how well he's performed, let's go easy on annointing him as the next Dominc Hasek.

We have a great situation here and I for one think it's best that we stick it out with Hank as I have complete confidence he will get his chit together and we know with Raanta anytime he comes in, we have a great chance at winning the game as well. So let's chill a bit. Hank is still great, he just hasn't been as consistant as he's been in the past. There is still plenty of time for him to get his mojo back and I'm supremly confident he will in short order....

All I am hoping for is a more equal share of the workload. We have been over this in previous seasons. When Lundqvist plays 65+ games, he is done by the time the play offs start

Maximus

Dec 23, 2003
Doylestown, PA
All I am hoping for is a more equal share of the workload. We have been over this in previous seasons. When Lundqvist plays 65+ games, he is done by the time the play offs start

I'll go there with you Kreids. Agreed Raanta should get more time between the pipes going forward. There are some tho who think Raanta besides being the #1 guy going fwd which IMO is ridiculous should for example play tomorrow night vs Chicago. I totally disagree with that vehemently. Raanta should not be playing back to backs over Hank ever. That IMO is going way too far. Besides it being bad for the optics, we in no way shape or form want to give Hank the impression that his #1 gig is up for "sale". He is our guy. He is the #1 and he needs to work on whatever it is he needs to work on technically to get himself back to being the Hank we know and love.

But for him not to play vs the Black Hawks tomorrow is going way too far. Hank needs to be between the pipes and let him do his thing. Now that being said, no matter the result even if we win which would be pretty amazing considering the opponent and how out manned we are due to injuries, I'd have no problem with giving Raanta the game vs New Jersey on Sunday as a reward for his peformance vs Winnipeg which would be a departure from what AV typically chooses to do. We'll see but I agree with you that Anti should get some more time between the pipes but he most certainly should not take over as the #1.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
I'll go there with you Kreids. Agreed Raanta should get more time between the pipes going forward. There are some tho who think Raanta besides being the #1 guy going fwd which IMO is ridiculous should for example play tomorrow night vs Chicago. I totally disagree with that vehemently. Raanta should not be playing back to backs over Hank ever. That IMO is going way too far. Besides it being bad for the optics, we in no way shape or form want to give Hank the impression that his #1 gig is up for "sale". He is our guy. He is the #1 and he needs to work on whatever it is he needs to work on technically to get himself back to being the Hank we know and love.

But for him not to play vs the Black Hawks tomorrow is going way too far. Hank needs to be between the pipes and let him do his thing. Now that being said, no matter the result even if we win which would be pretty amazing considering the opponent and how out manned we are due to injuries, I'd have no problem with giving Raanta the game vs New Jersey on Sunday as a reward for his peformance vs Winnipeg which would be a departure from what AV typically chooses to do. We'll see but I agree with you that Anti should get some more time between the pipes but he most certainly should not take over as the #1.

Is Raanta a better goalie than Lundqvist? No
Has Raanta played better than Lundqvist this season? Yes

That's what it comes down to. Lundqvist needs to redeem himself but I don't think Raanta should start over him. I am confident Shestyorkin will be our goalie soon and slowly but surely his workload will increase to ease Lundqvist's schedule, maybe even going closer to a 50/50 workload in 2020.

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
I dont think raana should take over as the new number one. I think he should play 3 or 4 games in a row to give henrik tine2 to practice and work on thibgs with benny.

FoxysExpensiveNYDigs

Boo Nieves Truther
Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
Wasn't AV quoted as saying he envisioned Lundqvist playing 55 or so games this regular season because that's around how many games starters are playing on successful teams?

9darter

Kreider is underpaid
Jun 29, 2007
Göteborg
Raanta should play if winning games in December is top priority.
Lundqvist should play if winning games in the spring is top priority.

Crease

Chief Justice of the HFNYR Court
Jul 12, 2004
Shutout on the road against Chicago. I think you have to stick with Raanta for another game. Hank's psyche isn't that fragile.

Fataldogg

Mar 22, 2007
8.5 wasted once again proving its the team in front of the goalie not just the goalie .. Imagine 5 million to spend on a stud D or center ugh screwed for 4 More years

You mean the Rangers would have the money to sign a Redden, Drury, or Gomez?

Or have the cap space to resign 50 point forwards like Stepan at $6.5M. Or obtain another contract like Nash. Or resign a a Girardi or Staal to ridiculous contracts?

People act like the additional funds would make a difference. The Rangers history of signing free agents, and obtaining contracts is not exactly conducive to the teams needs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad