Player Discussion Henrik Lundqvist: Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
Regarding buying out Hank, people need to understand that we may not have a choice.

We can't afford to bring back both ADA and Strome, and still fill out the rest of the roster. Not unless they both take significantly less than expected. We need to clear cap space.

View attachment 366536

Laf is going to cost us 3.775 mil against the cap. As a 1st overall pick, he will get max bonuses, and we are already exceeding the bonus cushion due to other players. CapFriendly doesn't allow me to add bonuses when creating a player, so I had to add it to his cap hit.

The bonus cushion is 6.1125 mil. Every bonus dollar beyond that will reduce our available cap space. Only the bonuses that are actually earned will end up counting against the cap, but on day 1, we have to be compliant based on the total potential bonuses. The only caveat here is that Kakko likely has bonus money tied to winning the Calder, which he can no longer do, so his potential bonus money is likely less that the 2.65 mil listed on CapFriendly. How much less? I don't know.

Even if Kakko's bonuses drop by 1.1 mil (it probably won't be that much), that still leaves us about 10.6 mil to sign 5 players, including Strome and ADA.

What we do with Georgiev really has no bearing on what we do with Lundqvist. We could very well end up buying out Hank, trading Georgiev, and signing a cheap backup for 2 years to satisfy the expansion requirements.

The cap space has to come from somewhere. Buying out Smith or Staal may happen, but neither clears as much cap as buying out Hank.

Kakko's bonus $$ doesn't go down it is potentially $2.65 mil (on top of his $925k salary) each year but it only counts against the cap if he earns them. The bonus on awards are for all awards not just the calder

The bonuses on ELCs are standard, players can earn up to $850k on 'Schedule A' bonuses and up to $2 mil on 'Schedule B' bonuses....right now Kakko and Shesterkin are the only guys with schedule B bonuses as everyone else including Fox maxes out at $850k bonuses...

Found this article on Jack Hughes' contract which is different than Kakko ($2.85 mil vs $2.65 mil in bonuses) but probably what Lafreniere will get.

Schedule A bonuses: $212,500 for each one achieved up to 4 (max $850k)

• Player must be among the top six forwards on the team in ice time with a minimum of 42 games played by the player and his teammates.
  • 20 or more goals
  • 35 or more assists
  • 60 or more points
  • 0.73 points per game or more with a minimum of 42 games played by the player.
  • Player must be among the top three forwards in plus-minus on the team with a minimum of 42 games played by the player and his teammates.
  • Player is named to the NHL All-Rookie Team
  • Player is named to the NHL All-Star Game
  • Player is named Most Valuable Player of the NHL All-Star Game
The Schedule B bonuses up to $2 mil

• Finish top ten in the NHL in goals, assists, points, or points per game among players who have played at least 42 games. Ties for tenth count for meeting the bonus.
  • Win the Hart Trophy (MVP), Frank J. Selke, Trophy (best defensive forward), Rocket Richard Trophy (most goals), or Conn Smythe Trophy (playoff MVP)
  • Make the First or Second All-Star Team at the end of the season.
Now Jack Hughes is Signed to a Max ELC with the Devils; What Bonuses Will He Meet?

I don't think Kakko earned any bonus $$ last year

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Hello everyone. I hope everyone is doing good during this pandemic.

The Rangers buying out Henrik Lundqvist opens up $3M in cap space for 2020-21. That $3M can pay both Alexander Georgiev and Brendan Lemieux. $1.5M-$1.75M for Georgiev. $1.25M for Lemieux. Two year bridge contract for Georgiev who is three years away from group III. The schedule will be crazy next season. The Rangers will need more than one goaltender. Igor Shesterkin had some injuries last season. He hurt his ankle in Winnipeg. The car accident was a freak thing but he did miss time. Broken rib. Fractured rib. He hurt his groin right before the Carolina series.

Hank can go make his own deal somewhere else. Maybe he retires if he can't find a spot. I would not hold it against him if the Rangers bought him out and he retired after not finding another team. The Rangers bought out Chris Drury in 2011 when his knee injury ended his career. He couldn't play anymore. He did not retire. The Rangers bought him out. No hard feelings. Jeff Gorton hired Drury four years later as a player development guy. Promoted to AGM one year later.

The Rangers do not have that much flexibility. The cap is flat at $81.5M. The cap went up $2M for 19-20. The Rangers don't have much money coming off the books. The Rangers had $9.65M in expiring contacts coming off the books in 2019-20 with Kevin Hayes at $5.175M and Mats Zuccarello at $4.5M. The Rangers have numerous group II's with arbitration rights to sign this off-season. Ryan Strome and Tony DeAngelo will come in at $9M-$10M combined. Short term deals. Strome is one year away from Group III. Both of them will file for salary arbitration. Both of them are coming off the best seasons of their careers.

The summer or fall of 2021 is when the Rangers will have more flexibility to change the roster. The Marc Staal contract at $5.7M comes off the books. The Brendan Smith contract at $4.35M comes off the books. That is a combined $10,0500,000.

The Kevin Shattenkirk buyout drops by $4.65M. $6,083,000 to $1,433,333 in 21-22. The Lundqvist buyout drops by $4M. $5.5m to $1.5M. The Ryan Spooner buyout of $300,000 comes off the books.

That is $19M coming off the books for 21-22. The Rangers can use that money for the performance bonuses in 20-21. The Rangers will not have room for Alexis Lafrenière bonuses. Kaapo Kakko. Shesterkin has $2.85M in bonuses. Roll them over. Shesterkin is up for a new deal that off-season. Arbitration eligible.

The Rangers do not have much money remaining after paying their own players. The Rangers already have a ton of buyout money on the books. Fill out the roster. Leave money to operate the team to call-ups. There might not be an AHL season in 20-21. Their season is supposed to start on December 4. There will not be a vaccine ready by then. It will take time for mass distribution of a vaccine say it comes on the market in January.

It was good checking in to share my thoughts. Everyone take care. Wear a mask.

OOMMMGGG!!!

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016
i don't see any way we buy hank out, the optics are bad and we would be just adding cap to the future. He's either gonna accept a trade or be our backup while Georgiev goes somewhere for a pick.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
i don't see any way we buy hank out, the optics are bad and we would be just adding cap to the future. He's either gonna accept a trade or be our backup while Georgiev goes somewhere for a pick.

Which team is going to take him at 4.25 mil? Maybe we can work out a 3 way, with another team taking 25%, like Chicago did with Lehner at the deadline, but even then, is there a team that would prefer to trade for Hank at 2.125 rather than sign him for potentially less as a UFA? I would love for him to retire. I'd be very happy if he got traded. I think he's going to be bought out.

Reactions: McSauer

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate

The Rangers buying out Henrik Lundqvist opens up $3M in cap space for 2020-21. That $3M can pay both Alexander Georgiev and Brendan Lemieux. $1.5M-$1.75M for Georgiev. $1.25M for Lemieux. Two year bridge contract for Georgiev who is three years away from group III. The schedule will be crazy next season. The Rangers will need more than one goaltender. Igor Shesterkin had some injuries last season. He hurt his ankle in Winnipeg. The car accident was a freak thing but he did miss time. Broken rib. Fractured rib. He hurt his groin right before the Carolina series.

Hank can go make his own deal somewhere else. Maybe he retires if he can't find a spot. I would not hold it against him if the Rangers bought him out and he retired after not finding another team. The Rangers bought out Chris Drury in 2011 when his knee injury ended his career. He couldn't play anymore. He did not retire. The Rangers bought him out. No hard feelings. Jeff Gorton hired Drury four years later as a player development guy. Promoted to AGM one year later.

The Rangers do not have that much flexibility. The cap is flat at $81.5M. The cap went up $2M for 19-20. The Rangers don't have much money coming off the books. The Rangers had $9.65M in expiring contacts coming off the books in 2019-20 with Kevin Hayes at $5.175M and Mats Zuccarello at $4.5M. The Rangers have numerous group II's with arbitration rights to sign this off-season. Ryan Strome and Tony DeAngelo will come in at $9M-$10M combined. Short term deals. Strome is one year away from Group III. Both of them will file for salary arbitration. Both of them are coming off the best seasons of their careers.

The summer or fall of 2021 is when the Rangers will have more flexibility to change the roster. The Marc Staal contract at $5.7M comes off the books. The Brendan Smith contract at $4.35M comes off the books. That is a combined $10,0500,000.

The Kevin Shattenkirk buyout drops by $4.65M. $6,083,000 to $1,433,333 in 21-22. The Lundqvist buyout drops by $4M. $5.5m to $1.5M. The Ryan Spooner buyout of $300,000 comes off the books.

That is $19M coming off the books for 21-22. The Rangers can use that money for the performance bonuses in 20-21. The Rangers will not have room for Alexis Lafrenière bonuses. Kaapo Kakko. Shesterkin has $2.85M in bonuses. Roll them over. Shesterkin is up for a new deal that off-season. Arbitration eligible.

The Rangers do not have much money remaining after paying their own players. The Rangers already have a ton of buyout money on the books. Fill out the roster. Leave money to operate the team to call-ups. There might not be an AHL season in 20-21. Their season is supposed to start on December 4. There will not be a vaccine ready by then. It will take time for mass distribution of a vaccine say it comes on the market in January.

Hey, hey! Good to see you, RB.

Reactions: Trxjw

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016
Which team is going to take him at 4.25 mil? Maybe we can work out a 3 way, with another team taking 25%, like Chicago did with Lehner at the deadline, but even then, is there a team that would prefer to trade for Hank at 2.125 rather than sign him for potentially less as a UFA? I would love for him to retire. I'd be very happy if he got traded. I think he's going to be bought out.

You can take a contract back too, mentioned in another thread that if Colorado was interested we could take back Francouz who was recently signed as a 30 year old and looked awful in the playoffs, and retain half, would only cost them a little over 2 mill more for him. We'd save 2+ mill and then we could buy out Francouz 2 mill contract.

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
You can take a contract back too, mentioned in another thread that if Colorado was interested we could take back Francouz who was recently signed as a 30 year old and looked awful in the playoffs, and retain half, would only cost them a little over 2 mill more for him. We'd save 2+ mill and then we could buy out Francouz 2 mill contract.

why would you make a deal to free up $2 mil and give you 3 goalies again when a buyout frees up $3 mil?

NYSPORTS

back afta dis. . .
Jun 17, 2019
Hank would have waived his NTC years ago if he wanted to leave. Doubt the swan song includes waiving it. Especially with a kid in school and Covid lurking.

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
Hank would have waived his NTC years ago if he wanted to leave. Doubt the swan song includes waiving it. Especially with a kid in school and Covid lurking.

the bigger issue is finding a team that would want him than him waiving...and if a team wanted him they are going to sit back and hope we buy him out so they can sign him super cheap

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007

It's possible that we take back a contract, but I think there would be a very limited number of scenarios where it might work for both teams. The scenario you suggested would save us more cap than if we buy out Hank, but then we've got Francouz on the books for 4 years, and we'd still need a goalie somewhere in the organization that we could expose. It might be smarter to keep Francouz in that scenario. Retain 50% (4.25) on Hank, Francouz at 2 mil, trade Georgiev. That's a net savings of 2.25 mil and our goalie situation is set, both for now and for the expansion draft. If we bought out Hank, we'd save 3 mil, but we would spend at least 1 mil on a backup, whether it's Georgiev or someone else.

That assumes that Colorado would be amenable to that type of deal though, and that Hank would agree to it as well. I think SJ could be a target. I doubt they are ready to throw in the towel and rebuild, despite the year they just had. And they have Dell coming off the books. Hank is friends with Karlsson, and might want to try to help SJ get back on track. He could end up being the #1 there ahead of Jones. If it doesn't work, it's only for one year for both Hank and SJ. They have cap space and no significant players to re-sign other than Labanc.

In the end though, I think Hank will get bought out. There are plenty of free agent options for those teams, and we'll need to make a decision on Hank sooner rather than later.

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
There is not a contending team that is going to make him a starter when there are so many better younger goalies available. Just isn’t going to happen. That’s the biggest rub. This goalie market is FLOODED. Maybe in another offseason he could find a desperate team but this year? No way. It’s not going to happen

NYSPORTS

back afta dis. . .
Jun 17, 2019
the bigger issue is finding a team that would want him than him waiving...and if a team wanted him they are going to sit back and hope we buy him out so they can sign him super cheap

imo, the guy equally enjoys the ny celebrity lifestyle as he does being a Ranger. His contract is the only thing maintaining one and there is no way he’s giving up both.

Reactions: Kovalev27

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
imo, the guy equally enjoys the ny celebrity lifestyle as he does being a Ranger. His contract is the only thing maintaining one and there is no way he’s giving up both.

i agree. He’s not going to Detroit. Or San Jose. He may not want it but he’s going to retire. The question is does he hold us up for a buyout then retiring instead of just outright retiring.

he’s owed 4.5 mil this year. He’s going to get crushed on escrow like everyone else this year. Then taxes and agent fees. Is it really worth it? What if we offer him a salary that makes it more lucrative to join the front office? We can pay another signing bonus there like any other job.

NYSPORTS

back afta dis. . .
Jun 17, 2019
i agree. He’s not going to Detroit. Or San Jose. He may not want it but he’s going to retire. The question is does he hold us up for a buyout then retiring instead of just outright retiring.

he’s owed 4.5 mil this year. He’s going to get crushed on escrow like everyone else this year. Then taxes and agent fees. Is it really worth it? What if we offer him a salary that makes it more lucrative to join the front office? We can pay another signing bonus there like any other job.

he’a collected north of $100 million already not including endorsements. The right thing for him to do is retire and not milk the Rangers for every dime IMO. For all he’s done for the Rangers the Rangers have done a lot for him too.

nevesis

Sponsor
Jan 3, 2008
NY
The Rangers social media team is tied very tightly with managerial decisions. Everything is coordinated very closely.

If there is any bad blood between Hank and the organization regarding his future, this post doesn’t suggest that at all.

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
he’a collected north of $100 million already not including endorsements. The right thing for him to do is retire and not milk the Rangers for every dime IMO. For all he’s done for the Rangers the Rangers have done a lot for him too.

this I completely agree with. As I said if he retires right after being bought out that’s not a good look.

PS another week has now gone by without a closing remark on the season message from Hank to the fan base. Not normal

Reactions: Off Sides

Kupo

MAFIA, MOUNT UP!
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Stamford CT

tenor.gif

We thought you died man. Seriously. Glad you’re safe.

Having said that, we’re going to need you to provide one of our Mods with 2 emergency contacts.

haohmaru

boomshakalaka
Aug 26, 2009
Fleming Island, Fl

The "right thing for him to do" is to decide what's best for HIM.

These takes are just incredibly short sighted. Imagine someone walking into your job, where you've been for 15 years, and told you that they'd appreciate it if you would retire, forfeit 5% of the money you've made the entire time you worked there, and, oh yeah, you can't work in this business for at least another year doing what you love. And, imagine them asking you to do this FOR THE SAKE OF YOUR EMPLOYER.

It's ridiculous. He's not "milking" anything. He's expecting the Rangers to honor the contract THEY signed him to.

bobbop

Henrik & Pop
Sponsor
May 27, 2004
Now, Suburban Phoenix. Then, Long Island

Where the hell have you been??

Reactions: McSauer and Kupo

Rangerfan4life90

Oct 14, 2008
College Point, NY

Welcome back! A couple of weeks ago, some of us were actually wondering what happened to you and that maybe COVID hit you, and then passed away. Glad to see you're doing well.

NYSPORTS

back afta dis. . .
Jun 17, 2019
The "right thing for him to do" is to decide what's best for HIM.

These takes are just incredibly short sighted. Imagine someone walking into your job, where you've been for 15 years, and told you that they'd appreciate it if you would retire, forfeit 5% of the money you've made the entire time you worked there, and, oh yeah, you can't work in this business for at least another year doing what you love. And, imagine them asking you to do this FOR THE SAKE OF YOUR EMPLOYER.

It's ridiculous. He's not "milking" anything. He's expecting the Rangers to honor the contract THEY signed him to.

it’s not even 5% and what was best for HIM was to waive his NTC is he wanted to win the Cup. Sitting around as a backup while two other starters rotate around him is pathetic. When all that keeping him around is a contract, that’s milking the Rangers who have done as much for him as he has for the org. He can dress in street clothes and collect his cash while Shev and Georgiev alternate and both stay in uniform,

As far as people being sent out the door after giving 15 years plus to a company, it happens daily.

haohmaru

boomshakalaka
Aug 26, 2009
Fleming Island, Fl
it’s not even 5% and what was best for HIM was to waive his NTC is he wanted to win the Cup. Sitting around as a backup while two other starters rotate around him is pathetic. When all that keeping him around is a contract, that’s milking the Rangers who have done as much for him as he has for the org. He can dress in street clothes and collect his cash while Shev and Georgiev alternate and both stay in uniform,

As far as people being sent out the door after giving 15 years plus to a company, it happens daily.

There's a rumor that he was willing to waive this last trade deadline but a deal didn't happen.

And, yes, companies send people out the door daily and the Rangers have that option with a buyout as well. So, what's your point here? You're lamenting that the guy won't retire and walk away thereby forgoing any opportunity to play elsewhere in the NHL for next season. That's entirely different. He doesn't really have a choice other than "hanging around" and hoping the Rangers buy him out, trade him, or trade Georgiev. It's really all he can do if he wants a shot at continuing his career. Hard to criticize anyone for that.

NYSPORTS

back afta dis. . .
Jun 17, 2019
There's a rumor that he was willing to waive this last trade deadline but a deal didn't happen.

And, yes, companies send people out the door daily and the Rangers have that option with a buyout as well. So, what's your point here? You're lamenting that the guy won't retire and walk away thereby forgoing any opportunity to play elsewhere in the NHL for next season. That's entirely different. He doesn't really have a choice other than "hanging around" and hoping the Rangers buy him out, trade him, or trade Georgiev. It's really all he can do if he wants a shot at continuing his career. Hard to criticize anyone for that.

Not buying any rumors.

I’ve proposed he sit and watch rather than Shev and Georgiev dress around him so he can watch from the bench in uniform. It’s ridiculous he sits there collecting a check while the two starters dress around him. Sit and watch or retire. Get out of the way of the rebuild.

haohmaru

boomshakalaka
Aug 26, 2009
Fleming Island, Fl
Not buying any rumors.

I’ve proposed he sit and watch rather than Shev and Georgiev dress around him so he can watch from the bench in uniform. It’s ridiculous he sits there collecting a check while the two starters dress around him. Sit and watch or retire. Get out of the way of the rebuild.

That makes ZERO sense. So, you're going to pay him to sit, sign Gergiev to a contract (1.25-1.5M/yr), have even less cap space, let ADA or Strome walk because you're paying a player to sit out of spite, etc... ?

The Rangers will buy him out long before they pay him to be in the press box.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Real Madrid vs Cádiz
    Real Madrid vs Cádiz
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $4,740.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Monaco vs Clermont Foot
    Monaco vs Clermont Foot