Prospect Info: Henrik Borgström (2016, #23 overall), Univ. of Denver (NCAA), signed ELC on 3/26/2018

FinlandPanther

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 16, 2009
Florida
Like I mentioned in the other thread, I only watched pieces of last nights game but you can see that Borgstrom has elite skill.

I watched him make a couple moves and passes on the power play where I said to myself "wow, this guy thinks the game extremely fast".

I'd like to see him get a few goals and build up his confidence and then just explode.
Exactly I think he sees the game too quick for a guy like Vatrano. He needs to just get that confidence and break out. You can see it’s right there and he looks more comfortable every game which is great. He’s the type of player once he finds that confidence it’s over.

letsgrowcactus

Jan 21, 2017
He should train with Barkov during the year/this off-season and learn as much as he can, the offense will come especially on the PP. I like how he's not over-committing, we can call it "safe" but it's responsible and once he puts on some extra weight he will be able to take the punishment when battling for pucks in the corners or along the boards.
Barkov can teach him all the hockey and Borgstrom can teach Barkov how to celly.
Seriously, loved those Borgstrom cellys in college :)

Thewselius

Jul 24, 2003
First minute of game last night against Det Borg tried to pass it down the middle in D zone and it was easily intercepted right at blue line still in D zone. Luongo managed to stop the play but he gave Borg a little pattle on his rump after lol

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
Would you be more open to moving Trocheck OR Borgstrom + small add for a re-signed Trouba in the off-season?
Assume Borgstrom does enough this season to show he can handle top 6 minutes.

FLpanthers16

#CatsAreComing
Jan 30, 2014
Would you be more open to moving Trocheck OR Borgstrom + small add for a re-signed Trouba in the off-season?
Assume Borgstrom does enough this season to show he can handle top 6 minutes.

Not sure Trouba is worth either to be honest.

Rather give them tippett+

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
Not sure Trouba is worth either to be honest.

Rather give them tippett+

Since 2016, he's been top 5 for defensemen in 5 on 5 point production
Plays a physical shutdown role as well
25 years old this February, already has a condo in FLA.
Looking for a 6-8 year deal @ $7 to 8 million range
Would allow us to shelter Ekblad more defensively but increasing his OZ starts/PP time.

Yandle - Trouba
Matheson - Ekblad
Kiselevich - Weegar
MacDonald

I know it'd sting to lose one of Trocheck or Borgstrom, but he's exactly what we need on defense.
Obviously I'd prefer to pay a 1st + McCann + Pysyk but very doubtful they'd take that deal, or Tippett for Trouba or a futures based deal.

Reactions: I am not exposed

FrolikFan67

Apr 29, 2012
trouba at 7-8, ekblad at 7.5 and yandle at 6.35 i think? thats too much on D. matheson too. kis and weegar are great bargain deals to have, but matheson would have to go imo if we did somehow wind up with him.

Benched

Jan 2, 2007
Those of you who know me on Twitter (@hammerhead33065) know I am a massive Borgstrom fan. So last night, before the game, I bought one of his sticks (Jetspeed) from Springfield (numbered with 5). Upon him scoring his first career home goal, my girlfriend decides to buy me this:

I also met Borgy’s uncle who is down, pregame. Despite the outcome, it was a great night.

FinlandPanther

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 16, 2009
Florida
Those of you who know me on Twitter (@hammerhead33065) know I am a massive Borgstrom fan. So last night, before the game, I bought one of his sticks (Jetspeed) from Springfield (numbered with 5). Upon him scoring his first career home goal, my girlfriend decides to buy me this:

I also met Borgy’s uncle who is down, pregame. Despite the outcome, it was a great night.

How the hell did you get that? That’s awesome bro! Congrats with a side of jealousy.

Ryuji Yamazaki

Do yuu undastahn!?
Jul 22, 2015

That’s pretty awesome.

Did you buy the stick to use or do you collect?

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
What are your thoughts on Borgström? He has been getting points and goals in regular bases. Not bad for a rookie.

He's been pretty good to be thrust into a 2C role for most part. He's making some minor mistakes like the odd giveaway but if he keeps working on his skating, faceoffs, fine tunes the 200ft game and gets used to the physicality/board battles, I have no worries with him.

Positonally he knows where to be and creates stuff out of thin air in the O-zone.
He will get a fair amount of points on the PP.

Reactions: Montsy14

MintyFresh88

Oct 26, 2007
Ontario
He's been pretty good to be thrust into a 2C role for most part. He's making some minor mistakes like the odd giveaway but if he keeps working on his skating, faceoffs, fine tunes the 200ft game and gets used to the physicality/board battles, I have no worries with him.

Positonally he knows where to be and creates stuff out of thin air in the O-zone.
He will get a fair amount of points on the PP.

He's better defensively than I was expecting. He's very composed with the puck in the d-zone and makes good first passes or gets it out if in danger. He just needs to put on some weight and get stronger on his skates. Once he does that, I think he'll be a solid top 6/9 guy for us.

Reactions: ThePatientPanther

MarVell

Jan 10, 2014
He's better defensively than I was expecting. He's very composed with the puck in the d-zone and makes good first passes or gets it out if in danger. He just needs to put on some weight and get stronger on his skates. Once he does that, I think he'll be a solid top 6/9 guy for us.
Wow, the expectations has been lowered quite some. Wasn’t this guy supposed to be a star in the making?

MintyFresh88

Oct 26, 2007
Ontario
Wow, the expectations has been lowered quite some. Wasn’t this guy supposed to be a star in the making?

The only reason I categorized him as a top 6/9 FOR US is because of Barkov/Trocheck ahead of him. He has the talent to be a top line guy, which he might be depending on if he moves to wing or if the composition of the team changes. It's still very early to say anything with certainty at this point.

Chaos2k7

Believe!
Aug 10, 2003
Costa Rica
His play has brought up the possibilities of moving on from a guy like Trocheck who himself is almost a PPG player, do a quick scan around the league on guys like that on the 2nd line, and deduct that we are still VERY high on the kid.

IceHockeyDude

May 15, 2011
Suomi
Thanks! Im glad he is doing well. He went undrafted in 2015 but surprisingly Florida picked him in the first round next summer. He took huge steps forward in his development during 2015-16 I suppose and grew physically later than most of his peers. It looks like the general manager knew what he was doing as Borgström has been developing according to the plan and is now a second line center and been good enough to deserve his status.

Sad to see Panthers struggling as a team though.

EnforceTheLaus

In the Year of Our Hatter
Nov 3, 2013
Thanks! Im glad he is doing well. He went undrafted in 2015 but surprisingly Florida picked him in the first round next summer. He took huge steps forward in his development during 2015-16 I suppose and grew physically later than most of his peers. It looks like the general manager knew what he was doing as Borgström has been developing according to the plan and is now a second line center and been good enough to deserve his status.

Sad to see Panthers struggling as a team though.

IIRC his growth spurt is what caused him to be undrafted the year before. He grew like some 6in and it messed up how he knew to use his body.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad