Prospect Info: Henrik Borgström (2016, #23 overall), Univ. of Denver (NCAA), signed ELC on 3/26/2018

PanthersHockey1

South by Southeast
Mar 11, 2010
Palm Trees
I am curious what are people's expectations of Borgstrom both for this coming season and long-term?

Do you see him as a 3C? 20G an 30A guy? What's his ceiling if you had to guess?

Sep 8, 2013
Toronto Nebula
I am curious what are people's expectations of Borgstrom both for this coming season and long-term?

Do you see him as a 3C? 20G an 30A guy? What's his ceiling if you had to guess?
This season will be tough to get a lot of points. Top 6 seems all taken. If he plays 3C and 2nd PP then something like 45 points would be a very good season for him. Eventually, as he works his way up the lineup, I can see 70+ points.

Reactions: Jakeybonz

Deas

Feb 3, 2017
Given "Top 6 F" by EA as potential ranking. Not very generous in my opinion.

Jean Luc Discard

Jul 11, 2014
I will bet you $100 that Henrik Borgstrom will never score 90 points.

I'll take that bet. Look 'ere-... the point totals in the league are going up by a mile compared to the past few years beyond the previous previous season and I think it's not only the fact that the speed 'n skill game is jacking up the numbers on scoresheets but the rule changes what we saw in the previous season play a big part in it e.g. even a light touch with a stick near the hands will cost 2min in box for slashing. That's why some of the skilled vets who are skilled were able to even post career highs in the past season e.g. Kopitar, Wheeler. And in the end its circumstantial: if Borgstrom would get a 1C opportunity at some other org that does have some decent players would likely be in the 90pts range since there will be more rule changes in the future that are advantageous for skilled players.

Clint

Jul 14, 2003
I'll take that bet. Look 'ere-... the point totals in the league are going up by a mile compared to the past few years beyond the previous previous season and I think it's not only the fact that the speed 'n skill game is jacking up the numbers on scoresheets but the rule changes what we saw in the previous season play a big part in it e.g. even a light touch with a stick near the hands will cost 2min in box for slashing. That's why some of the skilled vets who are skilled were able to even post career highs in the past season e.g. Kopitar, Wheeler. And in the end its circumstantial: if Borgstrom would get a 1C opportunity at some other org that does have some decent players would likely be in the 90pts range since there will be more rule changes in the future that are advantageous for skilled players.

Look 'ere - Over the past 10 seasons or so the 90 point mark has only been hit 46 times by my count. Yes, I counted. By and large the guys who hit that mark are mostly named Crosby, Ovechkin, Sedin, Datsyuk, Malkin, and a few others.

This isn't to say I'm not excited about Borgstrom. I think he's going to be a phenomenal talent and I'm really happy he's on our team. However, to put him in the conversation with guys who actually have proven to be 90 point talents is setting yourself up for disappointment.

LaMascarade

Sep 9, 2016
Well the most unhyped top-end prospect on these boards has been recalled from AHL a couple days ago.
Filling 2C spot for now while Bjugstad/Trocheck are injured.

How did he look in his first game?

Brokin

Nov 30, 2014
I was shocked he did as well as he did in the FO circle. Interesting to see if he can keep it up. I thought he had a solid game albeit conservative in nature. At some point he will gain the confidence needed to open up his skill and shooting game. I hope he does well but I am still concerned how he will handle the physical intimidation that surely is inevitable down the road. :)

Reactions: Cats2TheCup

Little Bobby Boo

Jul 30, 2014
I was shocked he did as well as he did in the FO circle. Interesting to see if he can keep it up. I thought he had a solid game albeit conservative in nature. At some point he will gain the confidence needed to open up his skill and shooting game. I hope he does well but I am still concerned how he will handle the physical intimidation that surely is inevitable down the road. :)
I agree he looked conservative most of the game. Very much in "don't make mistakes" mode. Hoping to really see his creativity open up as the games go on.

Brokin

Nov 30, 2014
Maybe he told the opponents to FO, and most of the time they did.
He's such a polite and engaging conversationalist, he probably did and it threw the opponent totally off balance. You can tell he has a rye sense of humor which is true of all the Finn's I know. :laugh:

Brokin

Nov 30, 2014
I agree he looked conservative most of the game. Very much in "don't make mistakes" mode. Hoping to really see his creativity open up as the games go on.
It shouldn't take too long as he and the linemate's just need to get some chemistry. Boo changes linemate's at the drop of a hat, so he may end up going thru 2 or 3 before that happens. :)

Reactions: Rahooji

GermanPanther

Foundation Defense
Dec 21, 2015
Munich, Germany
I would say it different, Panthers can have over a long time of Periode 3 Finnish Center who can play a 2Way Game.
But not even Barkov is current, a scoring Center as Mackinnon or Eichel or Trocheck are being.

So when Barkov turn out in the best Way, ending up like Barkov get 60-70 Points play a great 2 Way Game and a positiv +/-, i would also happy. But for that i must the a better offensive Game from Borgstrom, his defensive Game already signs of he practice in the Offseason with Barkov.
If im the Panthers i would try to get the three together to speak and practice in their Offseason together, both Borgstrom and Lamminkko can learn from him. Borgstrom the skating, overall Game, transiation Game.

ProjectPanthers

Podcast discussing the Florida Panthers
Mar 6, 2002
Towanna
linktr.ee
Played another solid game tonight while pivoting the 2nd line.

Picked up an assist and created a few scoring chances. Had some nifty passes and is starting to look confident out there. He's got that innate ability to slow the play around him down when he has the puck.

It'll be interesting to see how he progresses from here.

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
Played another solid game tonight while pivoting the 2nd line.

Picked up an assist and created a few scoring chances. Had some nifty passes and is starting to look confident out there. He's got that innate ability to slow the play around him down when he has the puck.

It'll be interesting to see how he progresses from here.

He should train with Barkov during the year/this off-season and learn as much as he can, the offense will come especially on the PP. I like how he's not over-committing, we can call it "safe" but it's responsible and once he puts on some extra weight he will be able to take the punishment when battling for pucks in the corners or along the boards.

Cats2TheCup

Oct 27, 2011
Miami, Fl
Kids vision out there is elite. So glad he's here. Brings a much needed boost. And to think this is literally the worst he will ever look. Once his confidence picks up I can see him becoming as deadly as Barky and Huby w his playmaking and shot. Would be fun to see him play with them for a few games when Troch gets back so he could learn a few tricks along the boards. Then Flank Tro w Hoff and Dads and keep Bjugs on 3rd line and see how it works.

Haj

#CatsAreComing
Apr 6, 2003
Arlington, VA
Having two centers that can control the pace of a game is something no other team has.

If he keeps it up, you can move Borgstrom to the 3rd line or move Trocheck to the 3rd line. Potentially create a matchup nightmare for other teams.

Huberdeau - Barkov - Hoffman
Dadonov - Borgstrom - Vatrano
McCann - Trocheck - Bjugstad/Malgin
Hawryluk - Lammiko - Sceviour/Brouwer

Reactions: letsgrowcactus

IceManCat

#TheFloridaPanthers
Jul 13, 2006
The Rat Den
If Borgstrom is around a 70 point player I will consider it a major success. I don't see him having that 90 points potential but hey you never know.

Ryuji Yamazaki

Do yuu undastahn!?
Jul 22, 2015
Like I mentioned in the other thread, I only watched pieces of last nights game but you can see that Borgstrom has elite skill.

I watched him make a couple moves and passes on the power play where I said to myself "wow, this guy thinks the game extremely fast".

I'd like to see him get a few goals and build up his confidence and then just explode.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad