Help Please

hooknshoot

Dipsy Doodle
Nov 23, 2014
Canada
Hello all,

I recently moved to Newfoundland from the dreaded city of Edmonton. I've been an Oilers fan for over a decade, but it's obvious that nobody can cheer for that sinking ship any longer.

I lived in Ottawa when I was around 16, and cheered for the team back then when they were rolling Rhodes and Tugnutt. I've decided to jump on board the Sens train again as I need someone to cheer for.

I'm the type of hockey fan that gets pretty in depth with what's going on, so I'm hoping you guys can get me up to speed with where the team is right now.

The team has a big star coming next year, but this year they seem to be falling further from a playoff spot. Is there much hope before Lazar gets here?

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
Hello all,

I recently moved to Newfoundland from the dreaded city of Edmonton. I've been an Oilers fan for over a decade, but it's obvious that nobody can cheer for that sinking ship any longer.

I lived in Ottawa when I was around 16, and cheered for the team back then when they were rolling Rhodes and Tugnutt. I've decided to jump on board the Sens train again as I need someone to cheer for.

I'm the type of hockey fan that gets pretty in depth with what's going on, so I'm hoping you guys can get me up to speed with where the team is right now.

The team has a big star coming next year, but this year they seem to be falling further from a playoff spot. Is there much hope before Lazar gets here?

He's already here

HavlatMach9

streamable 3rah1
Mar 17, 2011
Ottawa
the sip will eventually right itself as Klefbom, Nurse, and Schultz get older along with some more high picks.

hooknshoot

Dipsy Doodle
Nov 23, 2014
Canada
If you think the Oilers are going to come around, you're wrong. Let me jump onto the Sens ship please.

I see Lazar was just loaned to Canada for the WJHC...so was he playing as a center or a wing for Ottawa?

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
Not going to lie, but the Oilers seem to be playing better lately. You shouldn't jump ship yet.

BK201

Apr 11, 2011
Nah and with 8 teams in each conference in the east and only 7 in each in the west it makes it harder to make the playoffs.

Lazar is probably going to bring more than Pageau to Ottawa points wise but he is not the answer.

Basically we're missing a top 6 Center, top 6 LW, #2 defenseman, and then we'd be a contender.

Sens seem to think in time all this will happen from within through drafting mostly and possibly a quantity for quality trade.

Not going to lie, but the Oilers seem to be playing better lately. You shouldn't jump ship yet.

I guess if finally getting to 10 wins is playing better but they have no heart tbh. Oilers were my second team but I'm starting to get a little annoyed too.

Lehner

Jul 2, 2009
Ottawa
If you think the Oilers are going to come around, you're wrong. Let me jump onto the Sens ship please.

I see Lazar was just loaned to Canada for the WJHC...so was he playing as a center or a wing for Ottawa?

He wa splaying Center but hes back at wing tonight.

Phillips is terrible imo, shouldnt be in the NHL any longer. Others will disagree here, but I feel he brings nothing except giveaways and slow foot speed. Only thing hes does sufficient now is the PK.

Greening can be a good 4th liner, just makes to much money.

Michalek is a line killer, he kills a ton of plays imo, but hes okay defensively still, good on the PK.

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
Nah and with 8 teams in each conference in the east and only 7 in each in the west it makes it harder to make the playoffs.

Lazar is probably going to bring more than Pageau to Ottawa points wise but he is not the answer.

Basically we're missing a top 6 Center, top 6 LW, #2 defenseman, and then we'd be a contender.

Sens seem to think in time all this will happen from within through drafting mostly and possibly a quantity for quality trade.

I guess if finally getting to 10 wins is playing better but they have no heart tbh. Oilers were my second team but I'm starting to get a little annoyed too.

They seem to be playing better under their new coach though. How long it will last is up to debate, but i think they have been playing better than they were under Eakins so far.

Johnny Hanson

Jul 6, 2008

He was playing primarily as a centre but it looks like he'll be playing RW tonight against Arizona.

As for the state of the team, we've been flat out mediocre this year. We win some, we lose some, but we can't seem to string anything together.

Personally, I think our core of young players is very promising and we will be good in the next couple years. Having said that, we've got an owner that seems reluctant to spend money and a GM who stubbornly feels like this is a playoff team right now.

Most fans feel like we need another top pairing defenceman to compliment our top 4 and another scoring winger who can play in our top 6 - preferably a LW.

Unfortunately, turris and macarthur have proven they cannot be counted on as first line guys and Zibanejad is one of the most inconsistent players on the team. That means that we might be a little bit further away from contending unless one of turris, Zibanejad or Lazar can step up and be relied upon as our #1 centre.

hooknshoot

Dipsy Doodle
Nov 23, 2014
Canada
Guys, please no Oilers talk. My god how sick I am of all that useless Oilers talk. Trust me. Nothing is getting better and nothing is changing.

A few Sens questions..

1. Is Turris capable of being a #1 center?

2. How bad is the team missing Methot? Does Gryba give the Sens anything they miss without Methot?

3. Is Legwand working out at all?

hooknshoot

Dipsy Doodle
Nov 23, 2014
Canada
He was playing primarily as a centre but it looks like he'll be playing RW tonight against Arizona.

As for the state of the team, we've been flat out mediocre this year. We win some, we lose some, but we can't seem to string anything together.

Personally, I think our core of young players is very promising and we will be good in the next couple years. Having said that, we've got an owner that seems reluctant to spend money and a GM who stubbornly feels like this is a playoff team right now.

Most fans feel like we need another top pairing defenceman to compliment our top 4 and another scoring winger who can play in our top 6 - preferably a LW.

Unfortunately, turris and macarthur have proven they cannot be counted on as first line guys and Zibanejad is one of the most inconsistent players on the team. That means that we might be a little bit further away from contending unless one of turris, Zibanejad or Lazar can step up and be relied upon as our #1 centre.

Thanks for the reply! I was wondering about Zibenejad. I remember being disappointed that Ottawa passed on Couturier in the draft that year..

HavlatMach9

streamable 3rah1
Mar 17, 2011
Ottawa

2. How bad is the team missing Methot? Does Gryba give the Sens anything they miss without Methot?

Turris maxes out at a high end #2 Center, Methot is dearly missed because he's physical and Karlsson has revolving door partners. Legwand is working out, but less than what was hoped of him.

we're a team that should linger between 16-25th place for a few years, and then we hope we make the jump forward like Anaheim and Tampa did recently, and as the Islanders and Panthers seem to be doing

Last edited:

BK201

Apr 11, 2011
Guys, please no Oilers talk. My god how sick I am of all that useless Oilers talk. Trust me. Nothing is getting better and nothing is changing.

A few Sens questions..

1) Turris is a 1B he doesn't look out of place but doesn't dominate in that 1 spot. On the radio they said there is for sure 25 centres in the league better, but he falls in the 26-40 top Centers in the league area.

2) we're missing methot badly, he plays the left side so does Cowen weircoich and Phillips. Which all except methot should not being playing top pairing. Gryba plays the right side and is a right shot(which is coveted) but is a shutdown guy and only a bottom pairing guy so far in his career.

3) legwand has not been good if you were to think of him as a top 6 Center. Bottom 6 he is fine IMO not great but fine. He has had some really had defensive lapses that have led to goals but that's pretty much sums our team up but not as bad as the oilers. And just like the oilers at times we have trouble getting the puck out of our zone... Just not at the same level.

DrunkUncleDenis

Condra Fan
Mar 27, 2012
Thanks for the reply! I was wondering about Zibenejad. I remember being disappointed that Ottawa passed on Couturier in the draft that year..

Hah, don't get me started on Ottawa passing on Couturier.

I do, however, hold out hope that Zib can turn it on in the next few years. He has shown flashes lead me to believe that, if he puts it all together, he can be a dominant power forward. He has a higher ceiling than Couts, who was much more NHL ready. Couts is kind of like Lazar in that respect. Not much flash, but more capable of dealing with the NHL at a younger are.

Karlsson2Turris*

Hello all,

This is what you need to know:

Bobby Ryan is a beast. Turris and Macarthur are streaky players. When they are on they are so much fun to watch with their speed. But, they are being exposed big time since the Spezza trade. Hoffman and Stone are great. Chiasson is good but has NO finish. Greening is not an NHLer. Legwand is washed up. Chris Neil is done. Zibanejad is a streaky low-end 2C.

Karlsson is not what he used to be (blame cooke), but he's still a top end D. He'd have at least 40 points right now on a contender. Ceci is gonna be something special. Cowen, Boro, and Gryba are physical defenceman who don't have the best puck skills. Wiercioch is a slow, weak, offensive defenceman. Phillips is an AHLer.

Anderson is a very good #1G. Lehner is inconsistent atm but most believe he will round out into a solid starter.

Half the board wants to make a run for the playoffs. The others want to tank.

That's about it. Overall a mediocre team. :p

hooknshoot

Dipsy Doodle
Nov 23, 2014
Canada
Thanks for all the replies guys!!

To the wannabe tankers: RESIST THIS URGE!

Believe me, it's painful!!!!!! Organizations like Calgary are better than that, and they get better results.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
Summary:

Ottawa is average right now but they have a lot of young players who are improving. The likes of Hoffman and Stone could be great top 6 players. Ottawa also has young and inexperienced back-end but potentially lethal in couple years with Karlsson and Ceci leading the charge and could be a huge threat if Cowen keeps improving too.

Ottawa's prospects average right now but that doesn't matter since most of their core and roster players on the big team are all very young: Zibanejad 21, Hoffman, 25, Stone, 22, Ceci, 21, Lehner, 23, Lazar, 19, Cowen, 23, Karlsson, 24, Turris, 24, Chiasson, 24, Pageau, 22.

Ottawa has a few good prospects in the system that could be top 6ers in Prince, Puempel, Paul. Some top 4's in Claesson, Vikstrand and some dark horses in Schneider, Englund, Hogberg etc...

So far, the Sens have a great young core they can work with which already has some prominent pieces such as number 1b/2 C's in Turris, Zibanejad and Lazar. Zibanejad could be number 1 C. We have franchise D in Karlsson, potential top pairings in Ceci and Cowen. We have potential number 1 in Lehner. Some great young top 6 upcoming wingers with Hoffman having potential to be a star.

The best part about Ottawa's situation is possibly not what's on the roster but what isn't.

Ottawa has a lot of secondary pieces that could be used in a package for an elite piece similar to Bobby Ryan deal. Ottawa also could get a very high pick in a deeep draft. Those 2 pieces could be enough to put Ottawa over the top long term(number 1 C and number 2 winger/Defender) not to mention Ottawa's huge amount of cap space available to sign whatever remaining pieces necessary for a deep contending roster in couple years if Melnyk deems it necessary.

Ottawa is a number 1 C, offensive top line winger and a top 2 defender away from contending, IMO.

Those pieces can come in 3 ways:

In the system: Zibanejad could fulfill 1 C role, Hoffman could fulfull elite offensive role and Methot could regain that number 2 form.

Or:

UFA: Ottawa could potential nab a top line winger and a complementary number 2 D.

Or

Ottawa could draft a top line C or top line winger and number 2-3 D with high 2nd round pick.

Or a mix of those 3.

I like the chances of those things happening especially since I never considered Puempel or Paul breaking out or even Prince.

This summer will be indicative of the Sens future for next decade, imo. A top pick in a deep draft with excellent scouting team that has had TREMENDOUS success in deep drafts, free agent signings and pro-scouting.

hooknshoot

Dipsy Doodle
Nov 23, 2014
Canada
Thanks again for all the replies! That was a good summary ReginKarlssonLehner.

Good start to all this for me...Sens smacked around Arizona (my most hated team). Methot's back in the line-up and old-timers Michalek and Legwand got back on the board!

And how about how good Hoffman looked last night...rookie of the year??

Johnny Hanson

Jul 6, 2008
Thanks again for all the replies! That was a good summary ReginKarlssonLehner.

Good start to all this for me...Sens smacked around Arizona (my most hated team). Methot's back in the line-up and old-timers Michalek and Legwand got back on the board!

And how about how good Hoffman looked last night...rookie of the year??

Hoffman would have a chance if forsberg, gaudreau and ekblad wernt in the league.

A Calder trophy would be nice but as long as the kid keeps putting pucks in the net I'll be thrilled

Push540

Oct 11, 2011

A few Sens questions..

1. No. He's been in the league {on and off} for 7 years. Age wise, he's close to being in his prime. Stats wise his prime won't be great in terms of NHL #1 centers.

2. Methot is missed because we lack depth and star power already.

3. Legwand has 7 goals, 9 assists and is -4 after 41 games. I forget he's on the team quite frankly.

Push540

Oct 11, 2011
Summary:

Ottawa is average right now but they have a lot of young players who are improving. The likes of Hoffman and Stone could be great top 6 players. Ottawa also has young and inexperienced back-end but potentially lethal in couple years with Karlsson and Ceci leading the charge and could be a huge threat if Cowen keeps improving too.

Correction here, Ottawa is below average currently. If the players keep on playing well {after the last game} then they can be average.

This summer will be indicative of the Sens future for next decade,

One question. Why wasn't last summer the time to act?

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
Correction here, Ottawa is below average currently. If the players keep on playing well {after the last game} then they can be average.

One question. Why wasn't last summer the time to act?

We are average and our play has indicated that. Of course I am talking with a full roster. Methot changes things dramatically. One more top line winger and we are above average. An additional top line C(whether that becomes Zibanejad or acquired elsewhere) makes us solid contenders).

Last summer was not the time to act because Ottawa's future depended a lot on graduating prospects and young players such as Zibanejad, Turris, Ceci, Cowen, Hoffman, Stone, Pageau, Wiercioch, Chiasson etc...

We had no idea who was gonna be impactful and who we should part with. If we made decisions last year, Cowen would be gone and that would be a damn shame cause he's rounding out his game this year. We had no idea how Zibanejad would handle increased role, if Ceci was infact capable of playing top 4. We didn't know what we would get out of Hoffman, Stone and Pageau, if their play was fluky or legit NHL assets. Sens also wanted to see how Ryan would play and if Turris line can handle top line duties or if they show improvement which would offer them hope that they could maybe do so in a year or two.

This year, Ottawa and management have a much clearer look with much larger sample sizes from the roster we have now which is very close to the core of the future. Therefore, management can take this summer to evaluate what pieces we are missing, who needs to go, which gamble to take and so on. It helps a lot since this is also a very deep draft and it also help that we have a lot of cap space and young assets we could move for more proven players.

Probably the biggest

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad