Help me Vote Chris Thorburn into the all-star game!

Jun 15, 2013
Winnipeg
Wheeler tied for 8th in scoring and is 84th in AS voting?

& in my opinion Wheeler should be a leading contender for the Hart this season.

Hopefully Winnipeg members of the Canadian Hockey Writers Association don't decide to vote for Thorburn.......

#votewheeler

Derfel*

This is why fan voting systems are inherently flawed.

It also explains why the league will rig the vote in about 3-5 days...

... which is why voting for Wheeler won't matter, but voting for Thorburn might.

FlappyGiraffe

Go Jets Go
Sponsor
Jul 3, 2015
Winnipeg
Are we doing this because Chris Thorburn, despite not being an all-star, is a fun, cool guy we all love, and we're voting him in because it's funny?

If so, cool!

Or are we doing this because we don't like Chris Thorburn, and want to ridicule his lack of hockey skill by playing him against elite all-stars?

If so, lame.
Cuz I like Chris Thorburn.

The former, Chris is my favourite player!

Derfel*

Yes, it really is. First, we abuse the electoral process for an all-star game, the next thing you know the Commies are in power. ;)

0esVOPO.png

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
This is why fan voting systems are inherently flawed.

It also explains why the league will rig the vote in about 3-5 days...

... which is why voting for Wheeler won't matter, but voting for Thorburn might.

Funny you should mention rigging by the NHL....

True story... Back in 1993 the NHL used fan voting to select the starting lineup at the ASG. The Jets had a young lad in the name of Teemu Selanne who I thought and a bunch of people I knew thought, should be starting at the ASG, not just attending. This was also the days before online anything so you had to manually punch the name of the player you wanted on a card and hand it in. The NHL did not have Teemu's name on the card, but there was a place to punch in "other" and write the name. Not saying how, but we got our hands on thousands upon thousands of the punch cards and about 15 of us proceeded to get carpel-tunnel filling these out. After doing this for days and handing in all the completed cards, we were told by the NHL that the cards were invalid because the NHL claimed " a machine was used to fill out the cards ". As a result Teemu will not be starting.

Seriously... in 1993 a bunch of fans are going to build a mechanical machine to hand write in votes :rant:....dumbasses..... the reality is they didn't want this great rookie from Winnipeg of all places knocking a named player out of the starting lineup at the game.

Henceforth, I don't believe any of us in the group have voted for any all-star games since. Getting Thorburn in there... I might just do that.

Channelcat

Unhinged user
Feb 8, 2013
Canada
I'd love to see Thorburn, Peluso, John Scott.....hell might as well put Douglas Murray in there too. Game is a joke anyway.

AlphaLackey

Mar 21, 2013
Winnipeg, MB
Funny you should mention rigging by the NHL....

True story... Back in 1993 the NHL used fan voting to select the starting lineup at the ASG.

As it was in 2007, when no-name Rory Fitzpatrick was selected to the all-star team, and the NHL simply cooked the vote after the fact, deleting however many votes were necessary to keep him off the starting D-pair.

Slate magazine did a pretty good expose on it. Basically since each vote ballot had you select six western starters and six eastern starters on it, the sum of all western starting votes should be the same as the sum of all eastern starters. The NHL published vote totals for just the top however many week to week, but still there was never more that 1% variance.. Except on the last week when it was 14% with the West coming up short (Rory played for the Canucks) and that large gap as a percentage of that weeks vote total was -- surprise, surprise! -- barely more than the total difference between Rory and the West #2 finishing D.

Never trusted a word out of Bettman or Dalys mouth since then. If they'll lie about something so bloody trivial like that, while talking out the side of their face about it ("Oh it's great to see the passion of the fans, bla bla bla") then what could they possibly be expected to be truthful about?

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
I'm all for raging against the machine. Plus I like Thorburn so 10 votes for 3rd line Jesus!

JC Numminen

#goldrush
Feb 13, 2013
Westman
I'm down just to show the NHL how broken the system is.

Would love nothing more than Thorburn among Crosby, 5 Blackhawk players and Mcdavid or whatever it will end up being.

Edit: I guess it is just for captains this year, wasn't quite that was last year was it? Still would be funny.

Though wheels need to be in.

Analyst365

Oct 24, 2011
Victoria
I'd love to see Thorburn, Peluso, John Scott.....hell might as well put Douglas Murray in there too. Game is a joke anyway.

I'm all for raging against the machine. Plus I like Thorburn so 10 votes for 3rd line Jesus!

I'm down just to show the NHL how broken the system is.

Would love nothing more than Thorburn among Crosby, 5 Blackhawk players and Mcdavid or whatever it will end up being.

Edit: I guess it is just for captains this year, wasn't quite that was last year was it? Still would be funny.

Though wheels need to be in.

Did it ever occur to you that there are children who may see the game differently? The all star game is a chance for kids to see their idols acting like regular joes for a day. :)

JC Numminen

#goldrush
Feb 13, 2013
Westman
Did it ever occur to you that there are children who may see the game differently? The all star game is a chance for kids to see their idols acting like regular joes for a day. :)

Oh yes I know. But, wasn't it last year that out of the top 6 vote getters, 5 were Blackhawks? That helps the kids that idolize the Hawks, but not the rest of the NHL. Where was PK Subban last season? You can't tell me he isn't an all star who is idolized by kids everywhere.

If the fan voting this year is just for the 4 players to become captains, then that is fine by me.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills

If you can't look up to 3rd line Jesus than who can you look up to? WWTLJD?

In all seriousness even as a kid I cared less about the all-star game. Everyone can see that no one tries even at a young age. The only thing I liked were the skills competitions because they actually care about those a little more. This new 3 on 3 could be fun. We'll see.

I'd love to see Thorburn in it for nothing more than the guy would have a great time. I might be in the small minority that likes Thorburn as a 4th liner and thinks he is a big part of the team. I mean if someone can be friends with Evander Kane while at the same time be the most liked guy by everyone else. He is probably more of a glue guy than anyone in the locker room. Plus he scores some clutch goals.

Derfel*

I say we change this up and vote Peluso in - he'd drop the gloves in the ASG.

Think about it.

heilongjetsfan

Jul 4, 2011
This is a highly worthy cause. ChrisT horburn is about to get all 10 of my votes! Every all-star team needs a glue guy with jump and tenacity.

heilongjetsfan

Jul 4, 2011
This is a highly worthy cause. ChrisT horburn is about to get all 10 of my votes! Every all-star team needs a glue guy with jump and tenacity.

...eh, I couldn't go through with it. I went 5 for Thorbs, 5 for Wheeler. And I cast 10 votes on Shane Doan because I hate him and he sucks, and will drag the pacific team down.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad