OT: The thread formerly known as Mousecop.

Status
Not open for further replies.

sabresfan129103

1-4-6-14
Apr 10, 2006
Amherst, NY
Confession time: I hate Paula's donuts. People look at me like I'm crazy when I say this. The donuts themselves are too much. The cream filled ones have like a half pound of cream in them, I feel disgusting after eating one. I know the Peanut ones are supposed to be the most popular, but I've always been kind of "meh" about peanut donuts. Give me a Tim Horton's chocolate any day over anything from Paula's.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Speaking of spouses, my wife has found out that her knee injury is a torn meniscus that they want to do PT on before thinking about surgery.

And some trauma from 20+ years ago is getting triggered in a major way lately.

On the positive front, we get on the cruise ship in 33 days!

And a really scumbag team in my son's league has me so mad right now. They were idiots when we played them last week and then in their last regular season game one of their kids dropped the N-bomb on a good friend of my son and maybe the best kid I've ever coached from a character point of view. He can play, too. So, losing to a team led by him is probably why that team was salty and decided to go there.

Penalty Killa

glitter skates
Oct 1, 2007
Sabres Nation
And a really ******* team in my son's league has me so mad right now. They were idiots when we played them last week and then in their last regular season game one of their kids dropped the N-bomb on a good friend of my son and maybe the best kid I've ever coached from a character point of view. He can play, too. So, losing to a team led by him is probably why that team was salty and decided to go there.
This makes me SO mad. Did that kid get in trouble? He shouldn't be able to play. That's just not tolerable....

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
This makes me SO mad. Did that kid get in trouble? He shouldn't be able to play. That's just not tolerable....

Not sure.

There was some youth hockey politics involved with most of the kids that my son played with last season, including this player, moving to another rink for this season. I was not told about this and kept my son at the same rink he and his brother have always played out of.

I play on a men's league team with one of the assistant coaches on the other team and was texting him about how their game went after how things went in our game.

So, that's all I really know.

Those two teams might be playing in a playoff game on Saturday, also. I think a lot of people will be rooting for the one team to lose their first round game on Friday night.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Speaking of spouses, my wife has found out that her knee injury is a torn meniscus that they want to do PT on before thinking about surgery.

And some trauma from 20+ years ago is getting triggered in a major way lately.

On the positive front, we get on the cruise ship in 33 days!

And a really ******* team in my son's league has me so mad right now. They were idiots when we played them last week and then in their last regular season game one of their kids dropped the N-bomb on a good friend of my son and maybe the best kid I've ever coached from a character point of view. He can play, too. So, losing to a team led by him is probably why that team was salty and decided to go there.

That's terrible. Recourse with the league/association to boot the player?

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Drove down to Orlando to see my son's JV lacrosse debut. Took the ex and my daughter as well. My daughter rode shotgun, my son was thrilled to see us and even though they lost, he broke the game down to what they did well (played the state champion's JV squad even for two quarters) and what they could do better (passing was off in transition, some defensive rotation issues). And I managed a B on my exam after driving the 2 hours back from the game.

vcv

Mar 12, 2006
Williamsville, NY
Hockey can be so toxic.

We have a guy in our beer league that is a gigantic tool. Always causes issues every game. Been suspended at least 3-4 times, if not more.

One time he jumped my teammate from behind well after the whistle and punched him in the back of the head after he was skating away. Then he decided that wasn't good enough and skated back over after a good 5-10 seconds, jumped back on top of him and punched him in the head again. That actually got him suspended for a month or two.

Recently we had another game against this tool. Same teammate and him were chirping and slashing each other a bit. Tool cross-checks teammate in the face. Luckily he has a cage, but he was an inch or two from getting him right in the throat.

League won't do anything. Run by idiots.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY

Well, one problem is that I'm not sure if they know which kid said it.

The coach I was texting with said it was one of two players on the other team.

And I doubt a ref heard it. Without a ref hearing it and putting it on the scoresheet, I'm not sure the league would do much without more than just he said/he said.

Unfortunately.

EichHart

Jul 3, 2011
Hamburg, NY
My mom went into the doctors with a routine Sinus Infection. Doctor noticed a lump on her forehead. A few CatScans, MRIs, and a few visits to Roswell later (2 weeks total). She has a rare form of nasal cancer (Stage 3/4).

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
My mom went into the doctors with a routine Sinus Infection. Doctor noticed a lump on her forehead. A few CatScans, MRIs, and a few visits to Roswell later (2 weeks total). She has a rare form of nasal cancer (Stage 3/4).

Very sorry to hear of your mom‘s plight. I wish her and you and your family the best possible outcome for something like this.

Reactions: EichHart

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Me too :wally:

Actually she had a co-worker call my dept. and ask me if I was single :biglaugh:

I met my ex-wife at work as well. I had to dating rules of the time: don’t date somebody work with and don’t date somebody who is involved. She got fired and her boyfriend dumped her and I asked her out. We have two wonderful children because of it.

"Craigs on it"
Apr 9, 2012
Canada
Would anyone here consider themselves to be very frugal (even cheap) vs being someone who likes to enjoy life and doesn’t care to much about saving?

I’ve always been someone whose pretty frugal, but part of my thinks I should really stop focusing so much on saving money and start enjoying more in the present. I think there’s a fine line between being too frugal and wasting money, I’ve had OCD on saving money sometimes and that’s not healthy at all.

yahhockey

Jan 23, 2013
It can be a difficult balance. There are many items in a grocery store I'm happy buying the store brand yet some items need to taste a certain way (e.g. Pepsi & Heinz Ketchup). If I want to go to a concert I'll buy tickets however the part of me that was thinking of attending a Sabres game this year decided if I'm making the trip it was going to be for a playoff game or I'll sit out the season. I'm not picky with clothes and wouldn't spend $100 plus on a pair of jeans. My phone died last week and I opted for a G6 because the extra cost for newer phones plus having to increase my plan didn't seem like a worthwhile investment. It is a rare occasion that I don't bring lunch with me to work because it seems like a lot of extra money to routinely buy lunch.

Say you had a group of friends that went out for dinner and drinks once a week. Never joining them simply to save money seems excessive. Going once or twice a month, ordering a reasonable meal instead of the prime rib or surf and turf special and water or one drink with dinner is a compromise to be sociable and enjoy life a bit without squandering money.

Overall I would like to believe I'm reasonable with money however depending on the situation someone could call me thrifty or cheap and in other situations they might think I'm wasting money. You have to decide what you value in life and if that's saving for a large purchase or early retirement then so bit. If it's buying the latest tech gadget/collector's item, partying with friends or other life experiences then so be it. Life's too short so do what makes you happy.

"Craigs on it"
Apr 9, 2012
Canada
That’s it, if you are saving all your money but isolating yourself from social opportunities or missing out on living life then what’s the point of saving...buying lunches and Tim Hortons every day probably isn’t going to make you happier then packing a lunch and brewing your own coffee, so things like that is probably wasting money.

I struggle justifying purchases that aren’t necessary, it took me weeks of thought to even purchase a$300 Apple Watch and half that was a Christmas present.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad