OT: Helm Canadian Olympic Team?

taliababa

Jun 4, 2009
I think he's going to make their team. With his speed, faceoffs, PK, and newly found hands he's a lock, very similar to when Draper made the Canadian team. Thoughts?

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Not a chance. Love Helm, but they can bring Richards or Bergeron as the fourth line center hard to argue with that. They have plenty of speed up front in any event, doesn't matter don't see them leaving Russia with either the Gold or Silver, will be tough to get either Sweden or Russia on international ice along with the home tournament angle for the Russians.

detredWINgs

Jan 1, 2004
Michigan
Visit site
This isn't the 90s. There are tons of top 6 forwards in the NHL today who are fast, two-way players with solid PKing and faceoff skills...while also having 60, 70, 80+ point seasons on their resume.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Helm might make the American roster with how he's playing.

But the Canadians are ridiculously deep at center, so he doesn't have a prayer.

Dats13DET

Aug 13, 2010
Canada
I love Helm but there's no way he makes it. 0.0001% of him cracking that ridiculous roster. There are a lot of guys that are ahead of him that won't make the team.

EDIT: Look at it this way, Team Canada's 4th line center will most likely be Patrice Bergeron.

taliababa

Jun 4, 2009
My thinking is that Babcock's familiarity with Helm and his acknowledgement of what the Wing's lose without him in the lineup, Helm would get a look. We'll agree to disagree.

SimplySolace

"We like our team"
Jun 30, 2013
Team Canada potential centers: Crosby, Tavares, Toews, Bergeron, Stamkos, Duchene, Getzlaf, Couture, Thronton, Seguin, Giroux, Carter, Spezza, Staal.

I think not.

Wayne Crosby

Jan 28, 2013
I love Helm too, but jeez...that's just biased homer thinking at its finest.

Especially on a team that's so deep at center such as Canada.

Last edited by a moderator:

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Have you seen the centers for Team Canada??????????????

PullHard

Jul 18, 2007
Helm has been really good for us, but Canada doesn't need to take fill-in 2nd line Cs who are typically 3Cs. There are already way more than enough 1Cs out there that can do the same thing and have better offensive instincts. Would be awesome, though. I love Helm.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Imo he's a guy that would make any team better. Yes, even Canada. Big ice, lots of room for his speed. How many better PKers are there in the league? Yeah Canada has a ton of Centers but do you want a #1 C who is used to playing 20-something minutes per night on the 1st PP unit, inserted into the 4th line C and playing <10 minutes and no PP?

I think people are too quick writing the idea off, even if the chance is extremely small or non-existant. If I built Team Canada I wouldn't do 4 lines of superstars. Looking at that list of potential Centers up there I think Bergeron might be the only guy better suited for a 4th line Center role than Helm. Do you want Giroux there? Spezza? Thornton?

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
Imo he's a guy that would make any team better. Yes, even Canada. Big ice, lots of room for his speed. How many better PKers are there in the league? Yeah Canada has a ton of Centers but do you want a #1 C who is used to playing 20-something minutes per night on the 1st PP unit, inserted into the 4th line C and playing <10 minutes and no PP?

I think people are too quick writing the idea off, even if the chance is extremely small or non-existant. If I built Team Canada I wouldn't do 4 lines of superstars. Looking at that list of potential Centers up there I think Bergeron might be the only guy better suited for a 4th line Center role than Helm. Do you want Giroux there? Spezza? Thornton?

richards? toews? o'reilly? both staal's?

and yes, if i were team canada would definitely take giroux above helm in that role. he's been actually one of the better pk'ers in the league. i don't see any case for helm having better ES defense than him. forecheck and speed. that's it. and basically same thing for those other players.

and that method of playing 20 min 1 line C for 10 or so mins in checking line role seemed to work pretty well in vancouver. nash-toews-richards just killed other teams.

giroux, bergeron, richards, staal, toews, ror, all have been better pk'ers for the past three years.

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway
It is not only the career, it is the season a player having. If Helm keeper going he'll be considered.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad