Confirmed with Link: Helle and Scheifele re-signed 7x8.5M each

rkp

Mar 31, 2011
The hoopla is that we don't have to face what our team would have looked like without a 1C and starting goalie
lol...u have no idea what that may brought in return, maybe more of a team first concept!

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
lol...u have no idea what that may brought in return, maybe more of a team first concept!
A late 1st and B prospect would have been the returns on both. Deadline deals for 30 year old pending UFAs always look like that, if you're lucky. Maybe less if schief is as terrible as you think

rkp

Mar 31, 2011
A late 1st and B prospect would have been the returns on both. Deadline deals for 30 year old pending UFAs always look like that, if you're lucky. Maybe less if schief is as terrible as you think
u still have no idea other than speculation as usual...and u seem to think likewise also by the returns u suggested....

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
u still have no idea other than speculation as usual...and u seem to think likewise also by the returns u suggested....
Sure, but my speculation is based on the history of similar calibre players at similar points in their career going at the trade deadline as they become UFAs. I'm not pulling that out of my ass

What do you do with all the extra time that you save by abbreviating "you" to "u"?

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
This person's comment on this article sums it up nicely:

"You media hacks can't have it both ways... Hundreds of articles written about how no free agents would ever sign in Winnipeg and that the stars all want out, but when two more star players commit long-term to the team and the community, it is a missed opportunity to jettison a core that hasn't delivered a cup. Chevy is a very capable GM and played this offseason brilliantly. He waited until the estimated cap increase for next season was announced to make fair offers to Hellebuyck and Scheifele. Unless you know of any other #1 centres or Vezina goaltenders that were lining up to sign with the Jets next offseason, give credit where credit is due."

There is going to be lots of back pedalling by media because their predictions on these two players turned out to be wrong.

Dailyfaceoff is junk articles, IMO

Probably one of the best posts on this thread. I’ll be honest in general I don’t like long term deals for players in their 30’s as a rule. However, there are always exceptions to the rule.

The Jets are in one of the toughest, if not the toughest, spots in this league. Starting with Trouba, Buff, Laine, Maurice, and finally PLD and there was this trend of players and even coaches wanting out for their own set of reasons. Had Scheifele and Bucky followed suit there is a chance the brand gets permanently damaged.

The signings were an important turning point where two high end players that want to win dedicated the rest of their careers to Winnipeg. Even though I don’t like long term deals for 30 year olds I think this organization needed this day and this press conference to stop the bleeding. I am on the record for what approach I would like in Whileee’s thread but that is just fun fantacy GM crap that has nothing to do with the real world and the Jets organization doing everything they can to keep this team relevant now while demand has taken a pounding is as real as it gets.

I don’t want to throw only the media under the bus for fanning the flames. I did my share of complaining on some of the similar topics. Yes this would be a good time to eat crow or at least just give out credit where credit is due. Maybe some of the narrative was overblown, especially with Schiefele wanting out. I was way wrong on that one. Also heavy is the head that wears the crown so TNSE needs to stop feeling sorry for themselves about the rough ride they have been getting. Business ownership is not easy and customers aren’t always going to like you, that comes with the territory so make adjustments and keep working harder at connecting.

The main thing now is for me personally to figure out my path forward. Love it or not they will be an organization that tries their hardest every year to be competitive. I don’t believe that is a pathway to a cup but maybe thats ok or hell maybe I’m wrong. For now I am going to try to modify my expectations, buy tickets, and try to not get ahead of myself. I am going to just try to embrace the ups and downs and highs and lows of the journey and stop thinking about the destination so much. Not sure I will be able to transition but i’m going to try. One think I know is I have always liked watching games live so I need to get back to doing more of that.

Last edited:

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015
Agree with the plan, even if its not perfect. I recommend everyone watch the Offside: The Harold Ballard Story documentary if people truly want to see a team and ownership without any plan whatsoever. I forgot how truly awful the Leafs were in the 80s. Gives a bit of perspective.

I knew exactly how awful the Leafs were in the 80s, up close.

Few orgs or teams ever again (hopefully) can be as toxix, morally bankrupt and contemptuous of staff, players and fans as during those Ballard years.

The Jets have made mistakes, even floundered at times, and they have made strategic course changes with all the speed and grace of the QE2. But I just don't see any of the ill will or straight-up venom there of a Ballard.

Stars resigned, lessons learned. Now they've done a buyout, and it worked, maybe we see it again. Cole P may settle in at centre -- maybe the kids can play after all. Change begets change, etc.

Maybe Helle will now convince the Buttery One to stay onboard for 30 games a year, and Wheeler will lure Schmidt and Pionk away to the NE...

sage Creek is for rich loser assholes 😜
55 and his goats are welcome in Wolseley. Though he'll have to keep his posh ride at 30.

Reactions: LucianoBorsato

Channelcat

Unhinged user
Feb 8, 2013
Canada
Man this has completely flipped my fandom - I was so depressed heading into this year - Paid zero attention to everything happening, and now I'm reading season previews with baited breath, lol.

Love the Helle deal. Like the Scheif deal - You gotta realize that goals and assists = money, not necessarily defensive play.

Like everyone has said - hopefully his comparison is Yzerman.
Agreed. At peak Helly we were throwing around numbers like 10M. So this looks great. The Scheif deal is probably in line with what most were expecting, but still less than some comparables. Seems like a no brainer for Chevy.

Reactions: Tom ServoMST3K

jiho

Apr 30, 2012
Love the Helle signing. I think he is one of the elite goalies and deserves this contract.

Do not like the Scheifele signing. He should of been traded years ago. Dont think he is a #1C and this team will never win a cup with him as the #1C. Like usual Chevy never does anything proactive and by waiting probably had no choice but to resign Scheifele.

Reactions: Bigfish

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
Love the Helle signing. I think he is one of the elite goalies and deserves this contract.

Do not like the Scheifele signing. He should of been traded years ago. Dont think he is a #1C and this team will never win a cup with him as the #1C. Like usual Chevy never does anything proactive and by waiting probably had no choice but to resign Scheifele.

From the sounds of both players, the other coming back was a major reason for re-signing.

Reactions: KingBogo

Deno

Nov 9, 2022
I am sure what all the big hoopla is all about....its not like the jets have won anything with them both...maybe if the jets didnt have and expect helly to win games for them, they might pay more attention to team defense.
The contracts have taken away a major distraction in the room as the team plays throughout the season wondering when they would lose their #1 goalie or C at anytime.
The rest of the team now knows management is all in with winning now instead of a rebuilt. It is now up to this group of players to prove management right or wrong in believing in this group.
As for me, I have a lot of doubts about this group of players but I hope they make me eat crow.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
I am sure what all the big hoopla is all about....its not like the jets have won anything with them both...maybe if the jets didnt have and expect helly to win games for them, they might pay more attention to team defense.
big hoopla is these are the top-2 biggest contracts the Jets ever signed (excluding the PLD sign and trade) of their top C and Goalie. trying to replace them i think would be a bit difficult since marquee UFAs often don't sign here, and NTC/NMC blocks trades here. although when players do come here ie: Niederreiter, Laine, Helle, Brossoit, Namestnikov etc. they usually have good things to say.

Helle in particular i think is on a HOF trajectory so spending his entire career presumably w/ 1 team adds some cachet to the franchise imo. it does also remove some the uncertainty and doubt within the year for the team and fan-base. perhaps even for some other potential UFA or players w/ NTC or NMC...seeing how one of the all-time greats spend their entire career here should provide some sort of goodwill for the franchise among other players in the league.

i don't entirely disagree with your other point though.... the Jets haven't come close to winning with them in recent years while they were on those great deals and in their prime. i read a lot of trashing on other orgs for crap or unproven goaltending, well, we got a HOF guy and we've won...? now it's a raise through their decline years. the Jets do have a bit of a window now before Vilardi and Perfetti get their long-term UFA style deals (assuming both have real strong seasons), and while they still have KC and Ehlers along with a few other complimentary or tertiary pieces to maximize the cap or veteran talent. but really, w/ Helle in the fold i don't ever expect them to be a v bad team. he keeps the floor from them really ever dipping lower than low-20s in league ranking in points.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tom ServoMST3K

Tom ServoMST3K

In search of a Steinbach Hero
Nov 2, 2010
What's your excuse?

It's not like someone better is about to walk through the door.

Top 15 centres don't just become available, and if they do, they're not coming to winnipeg - Not saying sheif is a top 15 centre, he's in the tier below - but to improve on scheif in a meaningful way, you'd need a top 15 guy.

Reactions: RestlessYoungZero

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
It's not like someone better is about to walk through the door.

Top 15 centres don't just become available, and if they do, they're not coming to winnipeg - Not saying sheif is a top 15 centre, he's in the tier below - but to improve on scheif in a meaningful way, you'd need a top 15 guy.
There are 32 1Cs aren't there?

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
For anyone interested capfriendly now has Scheifele’s contract details the exact same as Helly’s. Interestingly both got total NMC negotiated in for this season as well.

Reactions: None

Johnny HFBOARDS

Trade you!
Dec 10, 2011
Earth
damn we're missing out on the best part on HFBoards, the blockbuster trades!
oh well at least we can watch them play hockey.
a203ed03-781d-4854-830a-1506ca9011c7_text.gif

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
Bumping this one because I can't find one on 55 himself.

Anyone think Scheifele has his eyes on making the Olympic team, if there is one?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad