Hell froze over: Don Cherry praises a swede

DDRhockey

Hockeyfan since 1986
Oct 11, 2017

flamesforcup

Sep 5, 2017
Lol still managed to throw in a shot at his defensive play. Wouldnt see him say La needs someone to cover for Doughty or for someone to cover Weber even if they are clearly inferior players

Reactions: Igor Shestyorkin

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
I don't know many people who can say a bad word about EK. Dude just seems like one of the most likable players in the entire league. Hell - in all of professional sports.

So no points to good old Don here.

Reactions: JPE123

DDRhockey

Hockeyfan since 1986
Oct 11, 2017
Lol still managed to throw in a shot at his defensive play. Wouldnt see him say La needs someone to cover for Doughty or for someone to cover Weber even if they are clearly inferior players

Lol but he used the term "he is a good guy" Only canadian boys are good guys :D

Reactions: JPE123

Narow

Nov 11, 2016
Karlsson is reminding him slightly of his favorite player :)

ffh

Jul 16, 2016
30 years ago cherry said thomas Steen is the only swede that could play on his team. So not the 1st time.

Healthy DiPietro

Jan 4, 2014
30 years ago cherry said thomas Steen is the only swede that could play on his team. So not the 1st time.

Nice backhanded compliment I guess.

What's that f***ing guy's problem with us anyway? Swedes and Finns have generally caused very little controversy in the league, are usually good character guys who work hard on the ice, and are stand up people in the communities they play in. Get off our back already.

Reactions: Rorschach

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
I'd love to see the shape you guys are in when you are old as dirt. Cherry is like our racist grandpa. He's from a different time, he's old, he stopped caring years ago. They cut his time and he's trying to keep up with all the technology and get in everything he wants to say.

He'll always be a Canadian legend. He still makes good points despite rambling a lot. Most importantly, despite being wealthy and famous, he does more for youth hockey than 99% of this board when he could just sit on his wealth. He's always out there meeting the kids and giving them hope.

When he passes it will be a sad day, and I bet the tone will change then. Appreciate a living legend while we have him.

Zalos

Berktwad
Feb 2, 2009
Quebec
I'd love to see the shape you guys are in when you are old as dirt. Cherry is like our racist grandpa. He's from a different time, he's old, he stopped caring years ago. They cut his time and he's trying to keep up with all the technology and get in everything he wants to say.

He'll always be a Canadian legend. He still makes good points despite rambling a lot. Most importantly, despite being wealthy and famous, he does more for youth hockey than 99% of this board when he could just sit on his wealth. He's always out there meeting the kids and giving them hope.

When he passes it will be a sad day, and I bet the tone will change then. Appreciate a living legend while we have him.

I dunno about calling him a legend. I prefer to use that term for wholesome individuals. However, he's a funny man. He's a great entertainer. He has style. Even then, I will mostly remember him for the game where he got the TOO MANY MEN penalty against the Habs and Lafleur ruined his chance to get a Cup. ;)

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills

Might be a better overall tone really. Cherry had his time. I know Canadian's fear change but eventually we just have to move on.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
Nice backhanded compliment I guess.

What's that ****ing guy's problem with us anyway? Swedes and Finns have generally caused very little controversy in the league, are usually good character guys who work hard on the ice, and are stand up people in the communities they play in. Get off our back already.
I couldn't tell you what his problem is but this has always been his schtick. It still works on some of the older crowd I suppose but I don't know many people under 40 who genuinely like him for what he has to say. He is an icon though so if you do publicly state that you dont like him, its blasphemy to some. Most change the channel or hit mute when hes on.

TheBluePenguin

Apr 15, 2015
St Louis
what's not to like?

I really like EK as a player, he is so fun to watch, What most people, and myself included do not like is his cult following. Anytime you say anything not praising of him you get blasted. That is not EKs fault. Its the cult-fanbase not the player. Toews gets that a lot also, although he is a Hawk so I hate him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad