Hejduk officially retires

hockeyfish

Feb 23, 2007
DENVER!!!!!!!
I would say the next guy with a chance is Stastny, provided we keep him here and he remains relatively productive.

Maaaybe Tanguay if he plays three or four more years and wins another cup with us, but that doesn't seem terribly likely at the moment considering his age and health.

Tanguay has spent too much time away to be seriously considered. But despite this, he is still 4th all time in points on the Avs.

Stastny would certainly be the next in consideration if he spends the rest of his career wit us. Say he plays another 10 years and averages 50 points, that would put him over 900 on the career and 2nd all time. That would get the job done.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Oh whatever. I wish this debate were put to bed already. Yes, it was silliness and a bit of showmanship on the part of Lacroix to retire Ray's number and before the Bruins had a chance, but it's done. I'm done talking about it, and fans from other teams can snicker about it all they want. It's up there, and it shouldn't come down.

But the notion that there should be some sort of "universal standard" for retirement of numbers is hogwash. It's up to the individual organizations what they should or shouldn't do. Just because player A is a surefire Hall of Famer and player B isn't doesn't matter. It matter how important that player was to the organization and their fans.

And yes, Foote and Hejduk deserve to have their numbers retired. To say otherwise is asinine. Both dedicated most or all of their careers to the Avs and were key components for the team's longstanding success. I think his should be the last one though for a good, long while. But again, that's my opinion.

famicommander

Aug 12, 2011
You sure about that one? And I can't see how you can bring up him playing for the Q's as a negative in determining his legacy, Q's and Avs are the same franchise.
Ha, I should say Columbus Bluejackets. I always forget about that team/confuse them with St Louis. I also still occasionally call the Wild the Northstars.

But back on point, I don't necessarily believe having played for the Nords is a "negative", but it's not quite the same as having played IN Colorado for his whole career. No other NHL city shares Milan Hejduk with Denver. Fans in two other cities got to watch Foote play for their home team.

I understand that the Avs and Nords are the same "franchise" but frankly I don't care about the team's history prior to arriving here and neither do most fans. I wasn't a Nordiques fan before the Avalanche got here; I never followed the team when Sakic, Foote, and Foppa played in Quebec.

This team is the Colorado Avalanche. We should be honoring what players have done in OUR uniform, representing OUR state. There's a reason we didn't hang any banners for Peter Stastny, Marc Tardif, JC Tremblay, or Michel Goulet when the Avs got here.

Huis Clos*

Oh whatever. I wish this debate were put to bed already. Yes, it was silliness and a bit of showmanship on the part of Lacroix to retire Ray's number and before the Bruins had a chance, but it's done. I'm done talking about it, and fans from other teams can snicker about it all they want. It's up there, and it shouldn't come down.

But the notion that there should be some sort of "universal standard" for retirement of numbers is hogwash. It's up to the individual organizations what they should or shouldn't do. Just because player A is a surefire Hall of Famer and player B isn't doesn't matter. It matter how important that player was to the organization and their fans.

And yes, Foote and Hejduk deserve to have their numbers retired. To say otherwise is asinine. Both dedicated most or all of their careers to the Avs and were key components for the team's longstanding success. I think his should be the last one though for a good, long while. But again, that's my opinion.

*****ing and whining about the retirement of Bourque's number is one of the most pointless things Avs fans do. Who cares? It doesn't matter or have an affect on anything whatsoever. If other fans snicker I'd point out their total lack of intelligence.

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
Ha, I should say Columbus Bluejackets. I always forget about that team/confuse them with St Louis. I also still occasionally call the Wild the Northstars.

But back on point, I don't necessarily believe having played for the Nords is a "negative", but it's not quite the same as having played IN Colorado for his whole career. No other NHL city shares Milan Hejduk with Denver. Fans in two other cities got to watch Foote play for their home team.

I understand that the Avs and Nords are the same "franchise" but frankly I don't care about the team's history prior to arriving here and neither do most fans. I wasn't a Nordiques fan before the Avalanche got here; I never followed the team when Sakic, Foote, and Foppa played in Quebec.

This team is the Colorado Avalanche. We should be honoring what players have done in OUR uniform, representing OUR state. There's a reason we didn't hang any banners for Peter Stastny, Marc Tardif, JC Tremblay, or Michel Goulet when the Avs got here.

I'm really lost for words right now, just wow.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
*****ing and whining about the retirement of Bourque's number is one of the most pointless things Avs fans do. Who cares? It doesn't matter or have an affect on anything whatsoever. If other fans snicker I'd point out their total lack of intelligence.

Yea I kinda agree. I can understand thinking it's lame from an outside perspective because it was kinda silly to retire his number after only a year and a half, but from an Av fans perspective I don't really care. I don't really feel one way or the other about it.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
As much I loved Hejuk, I honestly dont think they should retire his jersey.

I think I agree. Honor him. But IMO, retiring his jersey is too much.

He may not fall into the same category as Sakic and Forsberg, or even Foote as far as importance to the team IMO but that doesn't mean his contributions don't warrant retiring his jersey. He spent his whole career in Denver and put up some great numbers, and won a cup and richard trophy.

You just don't do it right away, you wait a little while. Joe, Peter, and Patrick were HOF guys that deserved their number retired ASAP. Footer they waited two years. Milan they should wait 3-5 IMO, but he's definitely earned it.

famicommander

Aug 12, 2011
I'm really lost for words right now, just wow.
What is so hard to comprehend?

That I believe spending your entire career in one city is something that fans and the team in said city should specifically appreciate?

Think about it. He's the only "great" Av that never played in another city. That's special. It is his specific honor. He is the most significant player who spent his entire career with the Avalanche. By far.

Avs

Bozak + 2nd
Feb 9, 2013
Illinois
The Avs have to have the most retired numbers in the league in the short time they have been the Avs.

TheStranger

Jan 21, 2010
Ottawa, Ontario
I'd put 2001 stanley cup playoffs Rob Blake out there over Footer and argue Duchene over Hejduk but it's still one great lineup. Amazing that they all played together at once.

Blake yes, 2001-2004 Hejduk would be much better than current Duchene though, especially if you consider the chemistry.

TheStranger

Jan 21, 2010
Ottawa, Ontario
He may not fall into the same category as Sakic and Forsberg, or even Foote as far as importance to the team IMO but that doesn't mean his contributions don't warrant retiring his jersey. He spent his whole career in Denver and put up some great numbers, and won a cup and richard trophy.

You just don't do it right away, you wait a little while. Joe, Peter, and Patrick were HOF guys that deserved their number retired ASAP. Footer they waited two years. Milan they should wait 3-5 IMO, but he's definitely earned it.

If you're going to make it an untouchable jersey, you may as well retire it tomorrow.

AvsWraith

Jan 21, 2010
Colorado
Sad that he had to go through the Sacco era at the end of his career, really deserved a better send off.

Thanks for the memories, Duke, and congrats on a great career.

He absolutely deserves to have his jersey retired. He left how many millions of dollars on the table to stay and play for us? That kind of loyalty is hard to come by.

ManOnTheMoon

Hejdas Gonna Hejd
Aug 7, 2009
Omaha, Nebraska
Anyone think that the decision to retire Bourque's number was made a little easier by him having an unconventional number?

If he still had #7, I don't know if the Avs retire it, but they probably figured the odds were really low that anyone would ever specifically want 77 again, so they might as well retire it.

I mean-- Gilbert, Carter, Hedman, does anyone else wear the number in the league?

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Hejduk should have his jersey retired. Championship era teams always retire more players than they probably should and that's ok. It wouldn't be right for anyone to wear his number and the fans would look up at it from the rafters and think fondly of him, that's the spirit of retiring the number anyway. Close the book on the era and hope we have several with 9s in them from the current era next.

Sheet

Apr 1, 2013
I don't think Hejduk is less deserving of having his number retired just because 77 was retired. Those are seperate things.

Hedgeduck earned it and its not even questionable.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
If you're going to make it an untouchable jersey, you may as well retire it tomorrow.

Why? There's no rush. They shouldn't be handed out like candy. It should feel like an honor, and you should wait a bit to hand out that honor, unless they're among the best ever like Sakic, Forsberg, and Roy. That's what most teams do with their retired numbers.

The Avs have to have the most retired numbers in the league in the short time they have been the Avs.

They've also had some of the best players ever in that span.

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
Anyone think that the decision to retire Bourque's number was made a little easier by him having an unconventional number?

If he still had #7, I don't know if the Avs retire it, but they probably figured the odds were really low that anyone would ever specifically want 77 again, so they might as well retire it.

I mean-- Gilbert, Carter, Hedman, does anyone else wear the number in the league?
image.php

Absolutely, no question.

On a side note, I hope #18 gets retired, just 'cause.

yip.jpg

CrimsonPuma*

I would say the next guy with a chance is Stastny, provided we keep him here and he remains relatively productive.

Maaaybe Tanguay if he plays three or four more years and wins another cup with us, but that doesn't seem terribly likely at the moment considering his age and health.

Ha, no way that either Stastny or Tanguay gets their numbers retired. We wouldnt have any numbers left if players of their caliber got their numbers retired.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Hejduk deserves to get his number retired.... 1000 games, 800 points, Richard trophy, captain, and Stanley Cup all with the Avs.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Ha, no way that either Stastny or Tanguay gets their numbers retired. We wouldnt have any numbers left if players of their caliber got their numbers retired.

Hold your horses on Stastny. If he plays his entire career in Denver and the team achieves their previous levels of success, why wouldn't it warrant retirement of his number?

Again, we're ascribing talent when it's nothing more than the value of a player to the organization and fans, sentimental as that sounds, but if retirement of a player's number isn't a sentimental exercise, I don't know what is.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad