Hejduk officially retires

SuperTheGreat

Swim Instructor
Jun 3, 2012
Colorado
Hejduk deserves to get his number retired.... 1000 games, 800 points, Richard trophy, captain, and Stanley Cup all with the Avs.

Just reading through the thread to see if anyone else mentioned this. I think it gets retired, because of the Foote retirement. As for whether I think it should be.....don't know, don't really care. But, if players coming in won't wear it out of respect - sort of "I'd never presume that I'll be that good. I can only hope to play like Hejduk" - then they may as well retire it.

But back to henchman's point:

Number of Colorado Avalanche players to win the Rocket Richard trophy: 1 -->Milan Hejduk.

Not bad. Thanks Duke.

Joe Sakic

Kaut + 1st
Jul 19, 2010
Colorado
Hejduk deserves to get his jersey retired without a single doubt.

He's done so much for this franchise and has taken pay-cuts multiple times for us.

I'm not going to lie I wish we would have given him another shot this year and signed him to a 1 year deal. I view his situation and Hejda's situation similar - except Hejda had a contract past last year. I truly believe Hejduk would have found his game again with another year removed from being captain and playing under Patrick Roy and re-united with old friend Alex Tanguay. If Hejduk was playing with us this year I bet he would have definitely had a good year (25G 25A). Last season Hejda was also found in Sacco's doghouse a few times and people were also calling him too old just like Hejduk supposedly is. Now he is our #2 defenseman.

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
Hopefully if MacKinnon switches to 22 he has a talk with Hunwick first. :naughty:

The fact that Hunwick was allowed to keep his number after we drafted MacKinnon is utterly baffling to me. Plus after we drafted him I had got used to seeing #13 on MacKinnon's jersey, but I digress.

I realise my posts in this thread have been an assortment of complaints about the Avalanche's number retirement policy (#26 and especially #40 won't be, come on) so I'll add what I have to say about Hejduk... until we got Tanguay back last year he was the last guy playing from when I first got into hockey and it was sad for me in that respect, although like all of the Avalanche's best players before him the end of his career had been considerably more ignominious than the first ~75% owing to factors both within and outwith his own control (ie injuries slowing him down and Joe Sacco existing), and really it makes me sad that all of our best players' careers have ended the way they have. Sakic's last season was about ten games long and ended by a combination of an old man injury and a freak injury that came in what is unquestionably our worst season, Forsberg left the team before he began to decline but then became a sideshow afterwards as he constantly tried to do what his body couldn't, and then when he finally gave up the ghost it came after two games where he looked the best player on the team (man, him feeding Duchene was filthy) and then it was made worse by us losing like 9-0 to Calgary the next game, Foote could barely move by the time he was done and The Best Final Shift in Hockey as Kyle Keefe deigns it didn't do him justice, even though I remember grinning from ear to ear as I was watching it.

Of course, in remembering the less than glorious end-times of these players, it's important to remember what they were able to achieve. I hadn't realised he was the only guy to play more than 1,000 Avs games (and to the person saying they value this more than a Sakic or a Foote who played for Quebec, I get what you're saying, but even if it were relevant those guys meant more to the Avalanche than Hejduk, and that's not a knock on the Duke), and I think that spoke to how he played the game. He wasn't a game breaker, he wasn't a consistent star as a lot of people seem to be insinuating (even in the 50 goals year Forsberg should take a lot of the credit), but he was a player who was still important to the team, there was an elegance to his play which suited virtually everyone he played with. He was always a threat when he played, a shot that was overshadowed by having Sakic on the team that could score from anywhere (case in point - I still remember the second game of the season in 11-12 where we beat Boston 1-0 away (also the first game where I saw Varlamov and I said "that's it, that's the guy") and he scored the only goal five hole on Thomas with a shot so quick that it was in before you even knew it had left his stick), and that's what everyone including his team-mates seem to have been saying, a consistent class of person coupled with class of player that made him both a threat on the ice and one of the best people we could hope to have representing our team in the process.

Towards the end of his career I'd hoped his drop in offense could be made up for with a switch to a Jere Lehtinen type-role in terms of defensive play, but it wasn't to be. As I said before it's a shame the way his career ended, but I'm still glad he'll go down as having only played for us. If there's a person we could have as a model for what Avalanche players should be, you'd be hard pressed to find someone to compare to Hejduk. We should be thankful for that, and hopeful that we can get players in the future who compare to what he was able to achieve.

nanzenkills

Jan 31, 2007
Ontario, California
Oh whatever. I wish this debate were put to bed already. Yes, it was silliness and a bit of showmanship on the part of Lacroix to retire Ray's number and before the Bruins had a chance, but it's done. I'm done talking about it, and fans from other teams can snicker about it all they want. It's up there, and it shouldn't come down.

But the notion that there should be some sort of "universal standard" for retirement of numbers is hogwash. It's up to the individual organizations what they should or shouldn't do. Just because player A is a surefire Hall of Famer and player B isn't doesn't matter. It matter how important that player was to the organization and their fans.

And yes, Foote and Hejduk deserve to have their numbers retired. To say otherwise is asinine. Both dedicated most or all of their careers to the Avs and were key components for the team's longstanding success. I think his should be the last one though for a good, long while. But again, that's my opinion.

I agree with you on all of your points here. I agree that Foote and Hejduk both deserve their numbers retired. And I agree with you that #77 should never have been retired, but now that it's up, it shouldn't come down. In all honesty, I would have retired #4 before I retired #77, and in a vacuum, I wouldn't have retired #4 either.

I think one thing that has to be kept in mind for those who think we are retiring too many numbers too early is that we, as a team, had a unique level of success early on
in our history. Few other teams got to enjoy 2 Cups, another couple Conference Final finishes, and 6 consecutive division titles in their first 6 years. Those who heavily contributed to that success should not be penalized for its immediacy.

Team success is cyclical. As more time goes on, the number of our jerseys that are retired will balance out more with the rest of the teams in the NHL. I don't see any more numbers being retired in Colorado for at least 15 years going forward now. Though I do expect to see 3 more going up in 15-20 years, but not before then.

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
I agree with you on all of your points here. I agree that Foote and Hejduk both deserve their numbers retired. And I agree with you that #77 should never have been retired, but now that it's up, it shouldn't come down. In all honesty, I would have retired #4 before I retired #77, and in a vacuum, I wouldn't have retired #4 either.

I think one thing that has to be kept in mind for those who think we are retiring too many numbers too early is that we, as a team, had a unique level of success early on
in our history. Few other teams got to enjoy 2 Cups, another couple Conference Final finishes, and 6 consecutive division titles in their first 6 years. Those who heavily contributed to that success should not be penalized for its immediacy.

Team success is cyclical. As more time goes on, the number of our jerseys that are retired will balance out more with the rest of the teams in the NHL. I don't see any more numbers being retired in Colorado for at least 15 years going forward now. Though I do expect to see 3 more going up in 15-20 years, but not before then.
Exactly...I don't expect the trend to continue. I don't expect to see Talbot get his number retired if we win in the next two years. I don't expect to see #26 retired unless Pauly wins the Cup here...or retires after 20 seasons as an AV. It's incredibly early to even contemplate Dutchy, ROR or anyone else even coming close to having this kind of honor bestowed upon them.

Retire #23 and then get back to me in a decade or so and see how I feel about the rest.

As Mr. T would say, "I pity the fool" who wants to take #23 for the Avalanche.

SuperTheGreat

Swim Instructor
Jun 3, 2012
Colorado

I'm with both of you here, too. I think about it this way: Take the Devils from the same era. Is it so much of a stretch to think that Niedermayer, Stevens, Brodeur, all are in the rafters one day together - (the first two are up already) --- and hanging next to Daneyko (also already up, for the same reasons noted by Av merican). Anyone anywhere gonna argue those retirements? Then take the Red Wings (puke) from the same era. Safe to say that no one would balk at the retirement of Lidstrom, Shanahan, Yzerman, and I've heard talk that some wouldn't mind seeing Osgood go up. Then take the Stars --- with just one cup. I don't find it a stretch to see Modano, Belfour, Zubov, and maybe Niewendyk go up and some may argue for Hatcher and Sydor. I don't think we're too far off of those groups.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad