Recalled/Assigned: Heineman & Norlinder Sent Down to Laval

ChesterNimitz

governed by the principle of calculated risk
Jul 4, 2002
I would have kept Norlinder. Brief as it was, he was showing something , finally, and I wanted him to roll with it.
Let him roll with it in Laval and build on what was a much more promising pre-season. If his upward trajectory continues he will be among the first call-ups when the inevitable parade of injuries begins.

CrAzYNiNe

who could have predicted?
Jun 5, 2003
Montreal
This isn’t the last wave of cuts. The Habs must shave money off from the cap if they plan to keep Price in the roster for that cap relief (if im not mistaken, best time to LTIR Price is on the moment the Habs make a trade and take on salary)

Armia is 1.15M in cap relief
Lindstrom is 950k
Heineman is 897.5k
Norlinder is 859k

That’s about 3.9M in relief and they still need +/- 2.2M

Since it appears Habs are keeping 3 goalies since they don’t want to risk Primeau on waivers, are they trading Allen?

ZUKI

I hate the haters...
Oct 23, 2003
montreal
Logical decision because those two didn't need to be waived .

About Gallagher, could a 3 teams deal an option ( with 2 teams taking on part of the salary ) ?

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
MSL likes Barron and his game, when jumping into the play....
Clearly, Barron believes he had a great camp so that must mean that his affirmations to the media are working.

Vd1XfJr.gif

Last edited:

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I thought it would be Barron. But I'm glad Norlinder will get a lot of playing time in Laval. After all the time he's missed due to injury, it will be good for him to play a lot.

Norlinder - Mailloux
Trudeau - Lindstrom
Struble - Tourigny
Barron got the nod also on account of his handedness however how much will he play? Not sure this is the best move for him as I don’t see him getting a lot of minutes but then again, he can be sent down the case arising. Up to him to step up now.

Ezpz

No mad pls
Apr 16, 2013
This isn’t the last wave of cuts. The Habs must shave money off from the cap if they plan to keep Price in the roster for that cap relief (if im not mistaken, best time to LTIR Price is on the moment the Habs make a trade and take on salary)

Armia is 1.15M in cap relief
Lindstrom is 950k
Heineman is 897.5k
Norlinder is 859k

That’s about 3.9M in relief and they still need +/- 2.2M

Since it appears Habs are keeping 3 goalies since they don’t want to risk Primeau on waivers, are they trading Allen?
They paper'd down RHP, Harris and Guhle as well.

ChesterNimitz

Jul 4, 2002

About Gallagher, could a 3 teams deal an option ( with 2 teams taking on part of the salary ) ?
Some bad deals you just have to eat. I would greatly hesitate in expending any assets and treasure in undoing this patently horrible deal. Let it serve as a warning to both management and the fans as to the risks of making a long term commitment to the then current favourite toy.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
They'll be back.

Norlinder impressed, but it was only for a few scrimmages and preseason games. Let's see if he can keep it up.

That's probably the message norlinder was given.

He's moved up the depth chart, and if he continues where he has left off, he will have basically twisted Montreal's hand.

Now, norlinder's task is to show what he did in the preseason wasn't a flash in the pan.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
Pretty disappointing. I thought both Heineman and Norlinder outplayed Ylonen and Barron.
The problem was always going to be that none of our lefties performed that well on the right side except for Matheson. They clearly don't want to play him there which is a mistake IMO he has the most experience and could have been paired with Ghule.

I never thought Barron was going to start in Laval but he tried to prove me wrong with his poor play. Harris was noticeably better on his left side and Norlinder wasn't going to displace either he or WiFi.

We have some serious decisions that have to be made this season. Who are we going to dangle to improve our forward group.

That's probably the message norlinder was given.

He's moved up the depth chart, and if he continues where he has left off, he will have basically twisted Montreal's hand.

Now, norlinder's task is to show what he did in the preseason wasn't a flash in the pan.
I noticed this was the happiest I've seen Norlinder since he first came over. I get the feeling he knows he can/will be an NHL player somewhere. It won't be here though other than the odd call up if we need him.

Last edited:
Reactions: Runner77

ChesterNimitz

Jul 4, 2002
I thought it would be Barron. But I'm glad Norlinder will get a lot of playing time in Laval. After all the time he's missed due to injury, it will be good for him to play a lot.

Norlinder - Mailloux
Trudeau - Lindstrom
Struble - Tourigny
Probably one of the strongest defensive corps we have seen for a Montreal farm team over rhe past ten years. One can actually see a few legitimate future NHLers playing for our farm team.

Last edited:

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
Probably one of the strongest defensive corps we seen for a Montreal farm team over rhe past ten years. One can actually see a few legitimate future NHLers playing for our farm team.
Finally, not having to rush the kids, is happening.
It's called development.......who knew, not Bergevin that's for sure.
We have been building towards this....

Ezpz

No mad pls
Apr 16, 2013
Some bad deals you just have to eat. I would greatly hesitate in expending any assets and treasure in undoing this patently horrible deal. Let it serve as a warning to both management and the fans as to the risks of making a long term commitment to the then current favourite toy.
Honestly except for HOF players you don't extend a guy more than 1-2 years (ages 27-29) into free agency except on 3-4 year deals. 29-30 is when most drop off, some extend to about 32. Petry took a team friendly term and cap hit while still an RFA and still ended up falling off in the final year heavily. If guys are hitting UFA at 31 let them go or trade them. Never been a cup winner built with entirely 30+ players. Vegas last year might have been the oldest cup winner I've seen but still had Eichel in his prime as the leading point getter and they're looking to dump Marchessault despite winning the Conn Smythe because he's nearing his expiration date. Pietrangelo is that HOF-level player I'm talking about. Stone is too arguably. We've seen many teams win with an entire core under-25 though.

Gallagher isn't the type of guy you give big money six year deals to. Every long deal an aging player got in Vegas is for half the salary Gally gets if the term was similar or half the term if the salary was similar. Martinez got a three year deal after winning two cups in LA and being a big part of a conference finals run in Vegas (and now a third cup). Whitecloud got a 6 year deal but at 2.75. I guarantee Vegas will move out one or more of the 30+ guys within the next year as well and recoup quality assets while not retaining because they didn't overpay anyone.

I am still in disbelief of the Gally extension, I am pretty sure I was one of very few that hated it immediately. I thought his first contract was Bergevin's best work (not signing Subban, Patches, or Price to 10 year deals was his worst, the bridge deals f***ed him three separate times. Patches wasn't as bad at least). Get Gally at 3.75 for his entire productive career and then flip him to Vancouver for a premium, it made perfect sense and Vancouver even had an idiot as GM in Jim Benning (who gave Guenther ++++ for OEL and their owner wanted to compete).

Except he then extended an already declining and injured Gally coming off a serious injury (same guy who didn't want to extend an extremely healthy Norris-winning Subban). The extension combined with Armia's cost us Kotkaniemi, which later led to Hoffman, Dvorak and Savard which cost us Lehkonen and the ability to take back contracts when teams were paying a first for the privilege. Molson should have fired Bergevin as soon as he refused an extension (and before that to be honest). Molson got too concerned with the optics of firing the GM after a finals run (where the GM should have been fired years ago and the team made zero additions to go on the finals run, made the playoffs by Calgary losing instead of us winning in a messed up division year, just a bunch of guys playing their hearts out knowing it was their final year in the league) and made a bad decision as a result.

Ezpz

No mad pls
Apr 16, 2013
Probably one of the strongest defensive corps we seen for a Montreal farm team over rhe past ten years. One can actually see a few legitimate future NHLers playing for our farm team.
I still think Barron ends up down. We can only carry 23 guys and have chosen 3 goalies and 8 dmen, leaving only 12 forward spots. We'd still need to waive and send down one more guy to get under the limit and I'm not sure they'll waive Ylonen and Pezz just so Barron gets press box time. Wideman and Dvo don't count cause of injuries. If we are keeping Barron I think we should expect a goalie traded/on waivers so we can keep 13 forwards.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
We're starting to be overwhelmed with D.

Next year Norlinder, Mailloux, and Reinbacher have serious shots at the NHL.

Then Engstrom and Hutson should be coming to also look to make the NHL or be in the AHL.

I still think Barron ends up down. We can only carry 23 guys and have chosen 3 goalies and 8 dmen, leaving only 12 forward spots. We'd still need to waive and send down one more guy to get under the limit and I'm not sure they'll waive Ylonen and Pezz just so Barron gets press box time. Wideman and Dvo don't count cause of injuries. If we are keeping Barron I think we should expect a goalie traded/on waivers so we can keep 13 forwards.
With Norlinder waived, we only have 7 D, no?

Reactions: themilosh

Ezpz

No mad pls
Apr 16, 2013

Then Engstrom and Hutson should be coming to also look to make the NHL or be in the AHL.

Matheson, Savard, Harris, Barron, Guhle, Xhekaj, Kovacevic. I guess you're right, I counted Lindstrom because capfriendly hasn't demoted him yet. Disregard that.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018

Gallagher's ice time will decrease gradually over the next 2 years. I'm not sure come summer 2025, he'll just want to LTIRetire, instead of always being between the 4th line, the pressbox, and Laval.

CharleyHorse

Sep 28, 2022
The message to Houle better be pretty effin clear: Give Norlinder PP time.
Kid surely deserves it.
I hope the message is something along the line: prioritize Norlinder's development as a defenseman. To me, Norlinder's offensive skills aren't in question, his defensive abilities are what need work.

HespelerGreenFlash

Dec 20, 2007
Justin weak soft awful in his zone Barron is safe...for now.

This Guy is better wake up soon because the way that he is playing defensively...he is better to do more than...60 points to establish himself in this league.

A defenseman except wizards like Karlsson and Coffey has to be at least average defensively..at least in my view to have some ice time on 5 vs 5 in the NHL
Please repeat that.

Reactions: dcyhabs

ChesterNimitz

Jul 4, 2002
Finally, not having to rush the kids, is happening.
It's called development.......who knew, not Bergevin that's for sure.
We have been building towards this....
What’s even more promising is that four of our best defensive prospects ( Hutson, Reinbacher, Engstrom and Bogdan) are not on this main feeder team. It’s been a while, but the cavalry is coming. And they are coming fast.

Last edited:

Egresch

Jul 10, 2022

Let's not forget Norlinder is 23. I am happy for him, but it is just two week pre-season camp. Trudeau is 2,5 years younger and was better most of last season.

Reactions: Gravity

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
What’s even more promising is that four of our best defensive prospects ( Hutson, Reinbacher, Engstrom and Bogdan) are not on this main feeder team. It’s been a while, but the cavalry is coming. And they are coming fast.

It will be very interesting to see how they leverage all of this.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Let's not forget Norlinder is 23. I am happy for him, but it is just two week pre-season camp. Trudeau is 2,5 years younger and was better most of last season.
Trudeau, Norlinder, Harris, Engstrom, etc... it's looking more and more like they're all NHLers.

At this point there are only 6 spots in Montreal. As long as they're all playing good minutes and in positions where they can develop, I'm happy - even if they aren't.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
It will be very interesting to see how they leverage all of this.

The Habs had even better crop around 1989-1990. They had enough depth to have two team's worth of solid defense.

They completely crapped the bed with those assets, even though they won a cup before it totally went to hell.

This pipeline isn't as strong, but hopefully they do a better job of managing it (that is assuming the prospects are actually the real deal).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad