Healthy Snacks - Suggestions

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
For those who also eat a popcorn like I do, the wife bought me some silicone bowl thing to pop it in the microwave with a plastic lid on Amazon for like $10. Sure does save a lot of money vs buying boxes of bags, or the pre-popped bags. Not sure why we waited so long, but it works really well. Just need to master the seasoning part.

Kitten Mittons

Nov 18, 2007
Any recommendations in brands/nutritional facts? I'm interested because I actually dig popcorn but never thought of it as a healthy snack.
850251004001.jpg

Even if you go nuts and finish the entire bag, it's only like 600 calories. With a bunch of fiber.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Any recommendations in brands/nutritional facts? I'm interested because I actually dig popcorn but never thought of it as a healthy snack.

I actually pop my own popcorn, super easy.

Oil popped or air popped are both super healthy, doesn't really matter.

4G of fat in like 2 cups of oil popped popcorn.. So even if you go crazy and eat a whole bowl you'll be at something like 10G of fat.. Which is not gonna kill you or your gains.

KapG

Dec 2, 2008
Toronto
For those who also eat a popcorn like I do, the wife bought me some silicone bowl thing to pop it in the microwave with a plastic lid on Amazon for like $10. Sure does save a lot of money vs buying boxes of bags, or the pre-popped bags. Not sure why we waited so long, but it works really well. Just need to master the seasoning part.

I have this bowl as well, it's one of the greatest inventions ever

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
popcorn is great.

It sure is and i cant eat it any longer, it gives me the worst cramps .. :) and I love the stuff too... I love it so much I knowingly eat it, fully understanding I will get bad cramps some time through the day.

Kitten Mittons

Nov 18, 2007
That's how I feel about Bare Granny Smith apple chips. There is 0 moderation when it comes to a bag of those but that's far too much sugar and fiber for my stomach to handle.

LarKing

Sep 2, 2012
Michigan
- sliced apples
- carrots/broccoli with a dip lower in calories
- any kind of nuts/legumes (more of a bulking snack though)
- popcorn without a ton of salt (seasoning)/butter
- salads of any kind basically (watch the fat grams from the ranch)
- whole wheat or whole grain bread with peanut butter
- bananas with peanut butter or plain

It's pretty obvious that I'm a big fan of fruits/veggies here. You can find other snacks that are low on calories/fat but they mostly have a lot of additives/fake sugars and just all around aren't as good for you when it comes to having energy to work out and get in better shape.

LarKing

Sep 2, 2012
Michigan
There is no way to cut it. Healthy food snacks absolutely suck. I understand we all chose the healthy lifestyle, but it's ok to admit. If calories and nutrition didn't matter, I'd eat cool ranch Doritos for days.

Maybe if you eat the healthy foods in a way that they don't taste good. It's very possible to love eating healthy food too. One thing that helps me is always thinking about how much better the salad is for me than the chips and it just automatically tastes a bit better for me.

Mad Brills*

peanuts are the only healthy food snack that even taste decent

LarKing

Sep 2, 2012
Michigan
Most healthy foods don't taste as good because most people are used to being overloaded with sugar and salt. Go a few weeks with less of that and it's amazing how different things start to taste. You taste flavors you really couldn't even taste before. Once you start to have more energy all the time it can become a healthy addiction.

Kitten Mittons

Nov 18, 2007
Most healthy foods don't taste as good because most people are used to being overloaded with sugar and salt. Go a few weeks with less of that and it's amazing how different things start to taste. You taste flavors you really couldn't even taste before. Once you start to have more energy all the time it can become a healthy addiction.
You do start tasting flavors you couldn't before but those flavors are not even close to being as satisfying as pizza, McD's fries and ice cream.

I did Whole30 thing for a month. Was lnice and ean, felt healthy, coworkers mentioned I was a complete ******* during that month (ruder and crankier than usual), and then went I back to eating normally (bad and good), I realized that healthy taste doesn't taste nearly as good as unheatlhy.

What you're saying is make-belief. It's great that you feel that way but it's a lie lol.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
This is crazy, I'm pretty sure I could cook you a day's worth of food that fits your macros perfectly and you'd find it even better than Mc'ds fries (If that's the best food you could come up with, I pity you.)

LarKing

Sep 2, 2012
Michigan
You do start tasting flavors you couldn't before but those flavors are not even close to being as satisfying as pizza, McD's fries and ice cream.

I did Whole30 thing for a month. Was lnice and ean, felt healthy, coworkers mentioned I was a complete ******* during that month (ruder and crankier than usual), and then went I back to eating normally (bad and good), I realized that healthy taste doesn't taste nearly as good as unheatlhy.

What you're saying is make-belief. It's great that you feel that way but it's a lie lol.

What are you referring to here?

Kitten Mittons

Nov 18, 2007
This is crazy, I'm pretty sure I could cook you a day's worth of food that fits your macros perfectly and you'd find it even better than Mc'ds fries (If that's the best food you could come up with, I pity you.)

Bruh, McD fries + their vanilla ice cream cone? like WHAT! Haven't had it in a decade but hot damn that was good. There's also nothing you can ever cook in your life that will taste better than a street dog or a pizza slice at 3am in the morning when I'm hammered.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh

I've chosen the healthy life, too, but i think i'd by lying to myself if I were to say healthy foods just taste better. More energy and a better body FAR outweigh how damn good a pizza/chips/etc. are.

ColePens

Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Bruh, McD fries + their vanilla ice cream cone? like WHAT! Haven't had it in a decade but hot damn that was good. There's also nothing you can ever cook in your life that will taste better than a street dog or a pizza slice at 3am in the morning when I'm hammered.

Been about.. 10+ years for fast food for me. But I drive by and want some Wendys!

LarKing

Sep 2, 2012
Michigan
I've chosen the healthy life, too, but i think i'd by lying to myself if I were to say healthy foods just taste better. More energy and a better body FAR outweigh how damn good a pizza/chips/etc. are.

Okay well maybe I should rephrase a bit. Healthy foods for me taste better paired with the clean feeling of conscience and energy I have compared to junk foo.

kanuck87

Oct 12, 2008
Okay well maybe I should rephrase a bit. Healthy foods for me taste better paired with the clean feeling of conscience and energy I have compared to junk foo.

That's kind of how I feel as well. I don't eat fast food anymore and I don't really crave it. I still have a minor sweet-tooth, but I've been conditioning myself not to have it too often, as it causes me to go on a sugar rush. I had a chocolate chip muffin earlier this afternoon and even that caused a minor sugar rush, so I'll probably smarten up next time I crave some sweets/baked goods.

ColePens

Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh

Absolutely agree and it's what i remind myself every day if I get a craving. Because honestly, going to sleep and waking up feeling awesome is a great feeling.

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
This requires a little work, but wife and I just grated some sweet potatoes, put them into a muffin tin and baked for a little while. Mixed some eggs up in a bowl, added some basic seasonings and chopped bacon. Poured into muffin tin, and baked again. Ate them with a little hot sauce. Holy smokes that was amazing.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad