RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
RXBARs.jpeg

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Rx bars are basically hitting every gym and supplement shop. A little high in sugar/carbs, if you ask me, but they put the ingredients right on the front. No denying that.

This is the chocolate and sea salt one.

chocolate-sea-salt-nutritional-facts.jpg

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
Rx bars are basically hitting every gym and supplement shop. A little high in sugar/carbs, if you ask me, but they put the ingredients right on the front. No denying that.

This is the chocolate and sea salt one.

chocolate-sea-salt-nutritional-facts.jpg

Saw one with chocolate had cocoa powder (no big deal at all) but also "natural chocolate flavors."

Still want to look a little more into that part.

Kitten Mittons

Nov 18, 2007
Kind of expensive though. I want more protein per dollar per calorie lol. But I respect how clean the ingredients are.

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
Kind of expensive though. I want more protein per dollar per calorie lol. But I respect how clean the ingredients are.

I enjoyed it enough and like that they're Whole30 compliant for when we're doing that. Which speaking of, on day 30 and dying for a beer. Might just put one in my coffee thermos tomorrow morning. Not serious.... ok maybe a little serious.

I'll probably splurge on them for breakfast. When I cycle into work I'm on the roads before 5am. That's just too early to eat any form of a meal, but a bar like that or a Lara Bar would be fine... and I like that these at least have some protein in them.

Kitten Mittons

Nov 18, 2007
Are you not gonna do the whole re-introduction phase where you test each type of food to see how you react to it?

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
Are you not gonna do the whole re-introduction phase where you test each type of food to see how you react to it?

Wife is actually going 60 straight days, and I'll probably pretty much keep up with the eating. I'll just add Gatorade Endurance to my long ride days. And wine. Other than those two exceptions, after this weekend I'll probably still keep up with it mostly.

I find when I follow it I ate a real heavy vegetable based diet, and I like that.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
I've looked at the stats on those. 14g of fat and 24g of sugar (the package stats 2 servings so i doubled obviously). In no way would I call this a good snack. I wouldn't even call it a good treat. You may as well just eat a cookie. 24g of sugar for 15g of protein. You aren't winning there.

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
I've looked at the stats on those. 14g of fat and 24g of sugar (the package stats 2 servings so i doubled obviously). In no way would I call this a good snack. I wouldn't even call it a good treat. You may as well just eat a cookie. 24g of sugar for 15g of protein. You aren't winning there.

It's basically a cookie with protein powder. :dunno:

Nothing good or healthy about it.

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
You really could, if you tried. However, I have no idea how satisfying or tasty those might wind up being. :laugh:

Captain Bowie

Jan 18, 2012
I have an Iogo yogurt and a Nature Valley "Nut and Seed" bar most days either as breakfast (when I don't make mini frittata's for the week) or as an afternoon snack.

The Iogo 0% individual yogurts only have 3 grams of sugar and 35 calories for 100 gram serving, and 4 grams of protein. Not completely clean ingridients but the best for all the mass produced yogurts on the market I've seen (Activia, Dannon, Yoplait, ect...)

The Nature Valley bars... man there are a lot of bad granola bars out there loaded with sugar, parading as "healthy" snacks. I looked at every box at the store one time and the best ones were these:

default.jpg

There are a few different flavours but I like the dark chocolate ones, and the peanut butter ones are good tood. Again low in sugar just 6 grams per bar and 140 calories.

Having these two together give me the satisfying crunch and flavor I need to get me from a lighter lunch (usually a salad) until dinnertime. Total just 175 calories and 9 grams of sugar, and 7 grams of protein.

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
Wife said she was going to make these banana pancakes. My first reaction was "lol that sound disgustig."

INGREDIENTS
2 eggs
1 banana (ripe)

Directions
Mash ripe banana well, add in whisk eggs.
Warm non stick or cast iron pan to medium, spray with oil. Cook silver dollar size pancakes 30 seconds on each side and serve.
(We use a small amount of maple syrup or agave on our pancakes).

248 calories
14g protein

Gotta say, they were actually pretty good. We don't have syrup/honey/butter to add... but first few we made were just as a test to see if it'd be worth making a big batch of. And must say, would definitely be worth it. Just need to make a fruit salsa of sorts to top them with to give them a little moisture and sweetness. Texture was like a normal pancake, just with a load of banana flavor added to it.

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
Dont hold out too much on honey and maple syrup, you could do a lot worst sugar wise.

There isn't anything I'd find myself wanting to eat that is better with those two, while still trying to eat healthy at the same time. Fresh fruit is almost more appealing for me personally.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
There isn't anything I'd find myself wanting to eat that is better with those two, while still trying to eat healthy at the same time. Fresh fruit is almost more appealing for me personally.

It's main use is as a sweetener. Instead of using plain white sugar, Syrup or honey contain a lot more nutrients.

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
It's main use is as a sweetener. Instead of using plain white sugar, Syrup or honey contain a lot more nutrients.

Obviously white sugar doesn't have any nutritious value, but lets not pretend honey or pure maple syrup are loaded with nutritional benefit. Most people need to eliminate white sugar from their diet entirely, and even with honey or syrup use moderately at best.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad