OT: Health and Fitness Thread ‎III

Bruinswillwin77

My name is Pete
Sponsor
May 29, 2011
Hooksett, NH
Im 6'1 and can't get over 175ish, no matter what I eat, feel too skinny though(currently at 165) but its like my body doesn't want to gain any weight.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Im 6'1 and can't get over 175ish, no matter what I eat, feel too skinny though(currently at 165) but its like my body doesn't want to gain any weight.

Pizza, fast food, cheez-its, M & M's, fried clams, vodka and lemonade, beer, peanut butter and jelly; crullers, ice cream

these all worked for me

good luck

Bruinswillwin77

My name is Pete
Sponsor
May 29, 2011
Hooksett, NH
Pizza, fast food, cheez-its, M & M's, fried clams, vodka and lemonade, beer, peanut butter and jelly; crullers, ice cream

these all worked for me

good luck

Haha, I think my problem is I don't eat breakfast, drink a ton of water and gatorade at work... I get home crack a beer, get too lazy to make food, finally do end up making dinner but it's just not enough.

But I know I've tried eating more its like it doesn't help, Also avoid the candy and stuff.

I also do a lot of work in people's attics and roofs and sweat an abnormal amount, so that doesn't help.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Haha, I think my problem is I don't eat breakfast, drink a ton of water and gatorade at work... I get home crack a beer, get too lazy to make food, finally do end up making dinner but it's just not enough.

But I know I've tried eating more its like it doesn't help, Also avoid the candy and stuff.

I also do a lot of work in people's attics and roofs and sweat an abnormal amount, so that doesn't help.

always told to eat breakfast- get protein in you

that is why I go for eggs

make a hard boiled egg if you have to

you need a plan

I am not preaching cause I admit I eat like **** far to much, I really try and do the 80/20 rule

tomorroow I know I'll be at a cookout before Pats game and eating dogs and burgers drinking beer and eating chips but I'll balance it during day

Look at your body like a high performance car and you dont want to put ****** gas in it and not have it tuned up

MY ADVICE- make a couple of subtle changes or change

I believe the % is nearly 85% success rate if you try to do one thing- one change, but drops to 30% if you add more than one

pick one for the next 2 months or at least till Labor Day and get in the routine like eating breakfast

I often make that mistake of a complete overhaul when one change will work until it becomes a habit

good luck

A fun thing I did before was taking a month and setting a goal regarding diet

for example- I dont eat after 8 PM, If I'm out I will drink a few beers or whatever but I wont eat any crap after 8 Pm

last week I was at the Yard house with a buddy of mine and we ate and had a few beers and were leaving and I walked out and my bud says ;hey, JP Licks is right there want to get an ice cream?'

I knew it was 9 PM so I was just trained to not do it even with a couple of 16 oz draft beers in me

Glove Malfunction

Ference is my binky
Jan 1, 2009
Pleasantly warm, AZ

I'm the opposite. (though also 6'1"). I have trouble with putting the pounds on. I'l admit I didn't eat great, and with traveling for work, I eat out far too much. It's been helped since my move last year when I could drive to my contract, so I'm home at night. After bouncing over 300#, I decided enough was enough. I bought into a commercial diet plan, and I've lost 25 pounds so far. My goal is to get to my college weight (and be able to stay there). It will take a while, but I'm optimistic about it for the first time in a long time.

smithformeragent

Sep 22, 2005
Milford, NH
I've fallen into the ice cream trap at night again as of late.

Been working out so hard that it doesn't seem to have had any effect as of late.
Pushing it super hard at the gym this week.

Another 5k tonight. The wife is going to be there, so it'll definitely be awkward.

Aeroforce

Apr 28, 2012
Houston, TX
Anyone looking for new things to try, I've done a couple of things this week with great results.

First the medicine ball for core. I've done challenging core workouts for quite a while, but the medicine ball made it sore for days; and it's only 10 lbs. And only fifteen bucks!

Also the Single Leg Romanian Dead Lift. I've been working on a single leg jump rope routine, and I can actually get the single leg double under; but I'm not as consistent with my weaker right leg.

So I decided to do some unilateral work. This not only creates a magnificent burn in the hamstrings, it's tremendous for balance. I was surprised I was able to get 4 sets of 10 with a 50 lb. dumbbell. Almost can't wait till next week to try it with a 55!
Single-Leg-Deadlifts-300x232.jpg

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
I`ll be heading back to the gym in my condo community here as I absolutely have to make sure I fit into my suit for our day in March, thing was too expensive to have to buy another one:)

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston
Got in 22 laps (550 yards) in the pool today. I think the pool was a tad too warm because I can't seem to cool down.

I definitely pushed it a little for the first day back in awhile but it felt good.

Kate08

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 30, 2010
Decided to make the switch to working out in the morning every day instead of the 1 or 2 days I was doing. It stings for a minute when the alarm goes off, but overall I'm loving it. I have a lot more energy and I really enjoy having my evenings totally free. I'm getting to bed earlier and sleeping better. Hopefully I can make it a habit before the depths of winter set in.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
Decided to make the switch to working out in the morning every day instead of the 1 or 2 days I was doing. It stings for a minute when the alarm goes off, but overall I'm loving it. I have a lot more energy and I really enjoy having my evenings totally free. I'm getting to bed earlier and sleeping better. Hopefully I can make it a habit before the depths of winter set in.

Morning is the only way to go for me. I'm back at the gym after a month of laziness and indulgence. I get up 430...get there about 445 and work out til 645. Been doing 4.5 miles cardio and weight training. Feels fantastic. I love that it's 'over for the day" and I go to bed earlier and sleep better. I'm not as tired during the day either.

Doing it in winter is hard, but the only way to go again.

Kate08

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 30, 2010
Morning is the only way to go for me. I'm back at the gym after a month of laziness and indulgence. I get up 430...get there about 445 and work out til 645. Been doing 4.5 miles cardio and weight training. Feels fantastic. I love that it's 'over for the day" and I go to bed earlier and sleep better. I'm not as tired during the day either.

Doing it in winter is hard, but the only way to go again.

My husband leaves for the day at 4:45. Eventually I can see myself getting up when he leaves, but now, depending on what's on the schedule for the day I'm up between 5:00 and 6:15.

Today I ran 2 miles, walked 1, and went to a 6 am yoga class. I've never done morning yoga before and I loved it.

Also hilarious that I ran a marathon 5 months ago and struggle with 3 miles after 2 months off from running.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Been crushing it at the gym, but eating like ****.

crushing twinkies:laugh:

I`ve committed to using our facility here in the building we live in starting in September, it`s not a massive gym but has all I need, I just bought my wedding suit and after paying for our destination wedding at Sandals, no money to buy another suit:laugh:

I started going to our gym here last January to look and feel a touch better about my waist before we hit Jamaica, lost about 11 pounds, added a "bit" of muscle and was feeling good but man is it hard to stay on top of things. Went only sporadically after we got home then not at all for last 2 months, not good

Glove Malfunction

Ference is my binky
Jan 1, 2009
Pleasantly warm, AZ
We have a small cardio room and an even smaller weight area, but I just can't seem to make myself go, even when I have the time. I'm going to keep trying though. At least my eating plan is going well. I'm down 25 pounds in about 6 1/2 weeks. Progress seems to come in fits and starts though, and that's frustrating.

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
We have a small cardio room and an even smaller weight area, but I just can't seem to make myself go, even when I have the time. I'm going to keep trying though. At least my eating plan is going well. I'm down 25 pounds in about 6 1/2 weeks. Progress seems to come in fits and starts though, and that's frustrating.

That's pretty damn good man.

Kate08

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 30, 2010

Trevor that's amazing.

Kate08

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 30, 2010
Trying a class at Orangetheory this morning. We'll see how this goes

smithformeragent

Sep 22, 2005
Milford, NH
I've been making it a point as of late to get up early to lift.
I don't want to fall into the habit of sleeping in.

School starts earlier this year and I'm going to need to be up at 4:45 every day to lift and run.

I'll be lucky to make it through the second period of the Bruins games.

Kate08

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 30, 2010
I am having the same issue. I had book club last night (aka get together with the girls once a month on a weeknight and drink wine and maybe talk about a book), and I had to leave at 9 because I was falling asleep.

Did my first class at Orangetheory this morning and it. Was. Awesome.

DarrenBanks56

May 16, 2005
Have a softball tourney and tennis tourney in the next couple weeks.
Also a bunch of roller hockey games.

Getting ready for the tennis tourney I definitely messed something up on the back of my shoulder serving.

I havent been able to sleep for 2 nites now. Not comfortable at all while laying down.
Was fine playing hockey last nite though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad