"Heads High, Stay Strong" - my thanks to you & my ode to my team

couture23

Jun 23, 2012
Toronto
Would I rather have the Sabres draft 1 than 13? Of course. But I mean, cheering for your team to STOP WINNIN isn't right.

It's just a catch phrase, don't take it too literal. We all want the team to win, but right now is not the best time. Franchise players available in this years draft, plus our team is not deep enough to get anything done.

Finishing really low in the standings this year will be the best thing for this franchise.

Afino

The Juice
Dec 2, 2003
Orchard Park, NY
you enjoy our little march to 9th place to instill false hope in the organization, I have a grasp with reality and what is actually best for this team.

In case it wasn't clear with my last post, I don't want that either. I guess I have to say that again. I WOULD RATHER HAVE US FINISH LAST THAN GET THE 13TH OVERALL PICK (which equals finishing in 9th place).

"Rather" =/= "want" or "rooting".

Because yes, it's in the best interests of the franchise. But being #1 overall or even #2 overall does not guarantee a player being a 20-year super stud. You can get that at 5, 13, or 130 as well if you can scout and find a player with a quality work ethic and drive to be the best.

With this group we could get the 5th overall pick and using a historical example it would be "BUT THOMAS VANEK SUCKSSSSSSS OMG WE DIDN'T GET ___" :cry:

"Craigs on it"
Apr 9, 2012
Canada
In case it wasn't clear with my last post, I don't want that either. I guess I have to say that again. I WOULD RATHER HAVE US FINISH LAST THAN GET THE 13TH OVERALL PICK (which equals finishing in 9th place).

"Rather" =/= "want" or "rooting".

Because yes, it's in the best interests of the franchise. But being #1 overall or even #2 overall does not guarantee a player being a 20-year super stud. You can get that at 5, 13, or 130 as well if you can scout and find a player with a quality work ethic and drive to be the best.

With this group we could get the 5th overall pick and it would be "BUT THOMAS VANEK SUCKSSSSSSS OMG WE DIDN'T GET ___" :cry:

sure, but in a season like this I want us to give ourselves the best possibly chance at a franchise player, this draft is extremly top heavy.

even if we get a guy like Monahan that should go along way into building a contender down the road, outside of Grigorenko who still has question marks we haven't had a top flight prospect in 10 years.

I think the top 2 fowards in every draft almost always become stars or franchise players, here are the top 2 fowards since 2003

Horton - Staal
Ovechkin - Malkin
Crosby - Ryan
Staal - Toews
Kane - JVR
Stamkos - Filatov
Tavares - Duchene
Hall - Seguin
RNH - Landeskog
Yakupov - Galchenyuk

of those guys only Filatov was a bust and he was a #6 pick, franchise defenceman went before him
2007 was considered a bad draft at the time, and looking back that seems to be the case, JVR went second.
Majority 90% of those guys would be considered star players in the league today, alot even superstars.

Last edited:

Myllz

RELEASE THE KRAKEN
Jan 16, 2006
Vegas
Armia isn't a "top flight prospect"?

Myers wasn't a "top flight prospect"?

You'd rather have Armia over RNH/Landeskog and Myers over Stamkos/Doughty? I know what argument you're trying to make here, but there's an obvious and major difference between picking first and tenth or fifteenth.

Montag DP

Sabres fan in...
Apr 4, 2007
...Maryland
I'll always cheer for the Sabres, but I wouldn't say my life or mood revolves around them. If they suck, I just lower expectations and move on with my life. Actually, I'm sure the team affected my mood in a much greater sense in the two years after the lockout when my expectations were much higher. Nowadays, I just watch the games when I can and understand that they'll be better someday.

MayDayMayDay

But what is grief, if not love persevering?
Feb 22, 2012
Peoria, AZ
I'm with you all on this one, I LOVE the Sabres with EVERY SINGLE OUNCE OF MY BEING. I'm 26 and living in little Charleston, IL. Every day, I've gotta deal with ignorant, uneducated bandwagonning/fair weather Hawks fans that root for the team now but were nowhere to be found 10-15 years ago when my family moved to Central Illinois from North Tonawanda and when their team was terrible. These are the same folks who used to yell at us to "get off their damn lawn" or "go play a real sport" whenever my brother and I would be playing three-bar in the street and the ball got away, and who three years ago, I had to inform a whole bar full of that they had just won the Stanley Cup b/c I was the only one in there who could follow the flow of a game and the puck and realized that puck had gone in past Mike Leighton.

The meanings I attach to the Sabres and to hockey in general are deeply rooted. In North Tonawanda, I was skating at 2. I remember my first game when I was 4, going to the Aud. Was a 5-0 win over the Hartford Whalers. My family was always kinda split because my moms side were all Sabre fans and my dads side were all Leaf fans, and they were always trying to sway us one way or the other. So naturally when my folks split and my dads side basically became estranged, the decision became easy (as if it wasn't already ;) ) Not to mention, this was right around the time Hasek and the boys were kicking the Laughs ASS in the ECF. It was a rough divorce and trying period for all of us, but at that point, this team became something that our family rallied around during a really dark time, they brought us closer together. To me, the Sabres represent family, love, and remembering what I come from. They're more than just a favorite hockey team. 26, 56, 106, or 6 feet under, my family and I will be there when this team wins it all. <3 Let's Go Buffalo!

aceface33

Feb 10, 2006
Herkimer, NY
I think the point Afino is trying to get at is that you should never be watching a game thinking "I hope they lose this game right now!" and getting mad every time the Sabres score a goal. I could never see myself doing that.

If they lose they lose and if they get a high pick, great. I'll never actively root for them to lose a game but it's not like that has an effect on losing actually happening.

Afino

The Juice
Dec 2, 2003
Orchard Park, NY
I think the point Afino is trying to get at is that you should never be watching a game thinking "I hope they lose this game right now!" and getting mad every time the Sabres score a goal. I could never see myself doing that.

If they lose they lose and if they get a high pick, great. I'll never actively root for them to lose a game but it's not like that has an effect on losing actually happening.

Right. Someone here understands my point.

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
Good post ,JBuds ...much needed.

As far as the the ones that hope and pray we get a lotto pick...

whatever.... your prerogative... I get the point...but personally find it foolish and childish.

I let the chips fall where they may... Id rather us go on a 10 game winning streak and mess up our chances at a lotto pick then have us lose game after game.... I'd rather watch good hockey than bad hockey... I'd rather see this group turn it around then see a complete overhaul... Part of being a fan...suckin it up when your team blows.

"Craigs on it"
Apr 9, 2012
Canada

whatever.... your prerogative... I get the point...but personally find it foolish and childish.

I let the chips fall where they may... Id rather us go on a 10 game winning streak and mess up our chances at a lotto pick then have us lose game after game.... I'd rather watch good hockey than bad hockey... I'd rather see this group turn it around then see a complete overhaul... Part of being a fan...suckin it up when your team blows.

I would rather watch bad hockey for 3 months, than mediocre hockey for 6 years. To each his own I guess

SabresFanNorthPortFL

Aug 9, 2007
North Port, FL
I'm 44, born before 1970 inagural season. I'm with you JBuds, I live and breathe Sabres Hockey. In my shop, I proudly have a Sabres clock, Sabres poster and a few Bills things. Living in Florida, you get people from all over the world, and for all of you who still live in the Buffalo area, let's just say getting picked on being a Buffalo fan is not uncommon.

The day the Sabres win the Cup, I will be openly weeping. I will be on my knees, crying like a little boy.

IMO, I think Pegula wanted a "love fest" when he bought the team. I think he thought DR/LR and the team didn't get it done because of outside influences. We needed this season's tank for Pegula to really see what he had, a mediocre GM & Coach, and stale players. I have my full faith in Pegula to right the ship and get it done.

I'll watch every game this year, be mad we suck but wake up the next day and put a Sabres tee shirt on and go to work!

Go Sabres....

Myllz

RELEASE THE KRAKEN
Jan 16, 2006
Vegas

I don't think you'll find a person on this board who would disagree with that. I'd wager 99% of the people on this board would take this group going on a tear and pushing a cup run over rebuilding everything. That's not really the point. The point is a lot of people realize that's just not going to happen, which means rebuilding is the next best thing. A top 3 draft pick would kick that off very well, so people want to see that happen. It has nothing to do with not being a fan or wanting the team to lose or any of that stupid ******** people like to spew.

Vito_81

Jul 23, 2006
Toronto
I couldn't have said it better myself, JBuds.

I'm with this team sink or swim. THESE are the years that make that Cup year all that more meaningful.

Fair-weather fans will always come and go, but when THE day comes it will be we die-hards with the tears of joy who can truly call ourselves fans.

1st overall be damned. If the Sabres are playing, I hope they win. Just like I've done for the past 20 years. And just as I'll be doing for however many I've got left.

I'd MUCH rather this team goes 15-5-4 in the second half,only to fall short and pick 13th again than sit here for the next two months posting "OMGZ troll goal" when a Sabre scores.

If the 1st overall pick is meant to be than I'll be happy with it after game 48. but there's no effin way I'm pulling for it as I watch game 20 of the season.

1TuchAnd1NoTuch

Jul 26, 2011
Buffalo
Is it weird that even though we lose every game I look forward to watching them and hate the nights when they don't play :laugh: amen and hey there will be better days

Push Dr Tracksuit

Gerstmann 3:16
Jun 9, 2012
It's like the Bills for 164 hours every week I hope they lose for picks. For 3 1/2 hours on Sunday they're my team and I want a win. Then the Titans score on the last possession and I'm back to good they lost mode. At this moment a loss tonight would help us. At puck drop I will punch you in the trachea for suggesting a loss would be better.

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
I don't think you'll find a person on this board who would disagree with that. I'd wager 99% of the people on this board would take this group going on a tear and pushing a cup run over rebuilding everything. That's not really the point. The point is a lot of people realize that's just not going to happen, which means rebuilding is the next best thing. A top 3 draft pick would kick that off very well, so people want to see that happen. It has nothing to do with not being a fan or wanting the team to lose or any of that stupid ******** people like to spew.

Yes...and I get that... I agree... It's not happening with this group..or atleast this "core" .. But I'm fine with that... It'll change..sooner or later it will. In the mean time I still watch wanting them to compete.. I still watch wanting them to win and would love every minute of a 10 game winning streak...even if it means missing out of a lotto pick.

jBuds

pretty damn valuable
Sponsor
Apr 9, 2005
Richmond, VA
I'm with you all on this one, I LOVE the Sabres with EVERY SINGLE OUNCE OF MY BEING. I'm 26 and living in little Charleston, IL. Every day, I've gotta deal with ignorant, uneducated bandwagonning/fair weather Hawks fans that root for the team now but were nowhere to be found 10-15 years ago when my family moved to Central Illinois from North Tonawanda and when their team was terrible. These are the same folks who used to yell at us to "get off their damn lawn" or "go play a real sport" whenever my brother and I would be playing three-bar in the street and the ball got away, and who three years ago, I had to inform a whole bar full of that they had just won the Stanley Cup b/c I was the only one in there who could follow the flow of a game and the puck and realized that puck had gone in past Mike Leighton.

The meanings I attach to the Sabres and to hockey in general are deeply rooted. In North Tonawanda, I was skating at 2. I remember my first game when I was 4, going to the Aud. Was a 5-0 win over the Hartford Whalers. My family was always kinda split because my moms side were all Sabre fans and my dads side were all Leaf fans, and they were always trying to sway us one way or the other. So naturally when my folks split and my dads side basically became estranged, the decision became easy (as if it wasn't already ;) ) Not to mention, this was right around the time Hasek and the boys were kicking the Laughs ASS in the ECF. It was a rough divorce and trying period for all of us, but at that point, this team became something that our family rallied around during a really dark time, they brought us closer together. To me, the Sabres represent family, love, and remembering what I come from. They're more than just a favorite hockey team. 26, 56, 106, or 6 feet under, my family and I will be there when this team wins it all. <3 Let's Go Buffalo!

The scary:
We are the same age....and...

Though it might not have been my first game (pretty sure dad sat me in his lap a few games at the aud as a baby)... The first game I remember attending was as a four year old, and was a 5-0 win over the Whalers. Wow.

That's awesome. Cheers.

slip

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 19, 2005
The scary:
We are the same age....and...

Though it might not have been my first game (pretty sure dad sat me in his lap a few games at the aud as a baby)... The first game I remember attending was as a four year old, and was a 5-0 win over the Whalers. Wow.

That's awesome. Cheers.

Feel good post of the week right here.

I can't see two posters 22 years from now reminiscing about that 7-0 drubbing late in the 2013 season that locked down a top 3 pick.

It's impossible to root against your team during the ebb and flow of the game. That's just built into the immutable DNA of fandom.

Prospero

Feb 23, 2013
Buffalo
This is coming from a third-gen Born in Buffalonian, in his early 30's. If I spent my time rooting for the Sabres, but they never won a championship, would I consider that time well spent? Depends on what I mean by 'rooting,' and what I mean by 'Sabres.' I can imagine ways in which simply attending the games, win or lose, could be time well spent. Blind worship of the logo, however, seems a little misplaced, to me. Personally, I don't like the current setup, so I find myself rooting for players on the team, rather than for the Organization. I could write an ode to Miller, more easily than I could the Sabres, atm.

jBuds

pretty damn valuable
Sponsor
Apr 9, 2005
Richmond, VA
This is coming from a third-gen Born in Buffalonian, in his early 30's. If I spent my time rooting for the Sabres, but they never won a championship, would I consider that time well spent? Depends on what I mean by 'rooting,' and what I mean by 'Sabres.' I can imagine ways in which simply attending the games, win or lose, could be time well spent. Blind worship of the logo, however, seems a little misplaced, to me. Personally, I don't like the current setup, so I find myself rooting for players on the team, rather than for the Organization. I could write an ode to Miller, more easily than I could the Sabres, atm.

I find this post pretty confusing. Would you mind clarifying a bit? Not trying to attack you, I just don't understand what you are getting at. You root for the players and not the team, is that what you're saying?

I consider it "time well spent" when I watch the team - whoever is playing for us - with my father, and my grandmother, nitpicking play after play. It's a lifestyle for me. You root for the individual players? If the team is filled with guys you dislike, are you temporarily a non-Sabre fan? Confused. You don't like "the setup"? Setup of what? And you don't like said setup (which I would assume would be the players), so you root for... Individual players? Still confused.

Again... Not being a {MOD EDIT} **** at all - just unclear what you are getting at.

Last edited:

SwordsgoneWild

WhenyougazeintotheabysstheBuffaloSabresgazeback
Mar 6, 2011
Lake Worth,Fl
If the "Bankruptcy Years" didnt kill my spirit then nothing ever will. Sabres hockey is all I know. Win or lose I will always be there to support them.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad