"Heads High, Stay Strong" - my thanks to you & my ode to my team

jBuds

pretty damn valuable
Sponsor
Apr 9, 2005
Richmond, VA
Not sure what the best way to start this is, and it's more of a rant than a debate so I don't expect many replies or any discussion to become of it. So I'll just get right into it, and thank you in advance for taking the time to read it.

There's a ton of doom and gloom around here regarding the state of the team, the staff, and the organization, both for the 'now' and the 'immediate future.' Rightfully so. But I feel the need to reiterate something that I've said a few times on here over the course of the last decade during the rough patches:

I live, sleep, breathe, and feed Buffalo Sabres hockey. I am PROUD to be a fan of this team. This is my family, this is my history, and this is my lifeblood. And a poor stretch won't change that. This sport consumes my life, and my passion for the team is unquestionably unwavering.

Talk of giving up on this team as a fan, or talk of rooting for another squad is beyond ridiculous to me. My father was born and raised in North Buffalo, went to Nichols, UB Law, etc.. When he moved down to where I was eventually born (NYC suburb), with him came his passion for Buffalo sports. It was genetically passed on to me. I grew up in, and still reside in, big-time Ranger territory. But I am a SABRES MAN through and through. I cheer when we win, I whine and ***** when we lose, but I will never, ever, EVER stop rooting for this team or this city until my time on this planet is over. I adore the fact that, after a good game or a piss poor game, I get to come on to these boards and talk hockey with some of the most knowledgeable fans on the planet. I love that I can come on to forum 18 and know that someone else will be ready and willing to discuss or debate what was seen, with fiestiness, enthusiasm, and intelligence. I love that I can disagree with a lot of you about a ton of things, but still respect your opinions because we have a mutual passion.

My mood, my energy, my routine, my lifestyle all revolve around this hockey club. My day's plans center around fitting in the DVR'd game at some point in the night, and the following day, my demeanor and my attitude are predetermined by the outcome of the prior night's game.

AND I WOULDN'T HAVE IT ANY OTHER WAY.

Right now, it sucks. But I am fully, 10000% undeniably obsessed with Buffalo Sabres hockey, and I'm ****ing proud to say it. This is me. This is us. This is what I do. This is what my son will grow up seeing; my insane love and passion for the sport, the team, and the city.

Part of being a fan is dealing with the tough times. They happen to every organization in every sport at various times. I encourage you all...keep your head up high. Stay strong. Remember why you are a fan. Realize that, when we finally do win Lord Stanley's Cup, all of the pain and suffering and **** seasons of borderline sickening play will all be forgotten. The tears of joy that will run down my face will be welcomed, my life will be complete, and I'd truly be able to say I saw my team accomplish it and I was a part of it. Realize that, when you're sitting with your Grandfather, or your Dad, or your sons and/or daughters, Uncles, Aunts, gumars, and everything and anything of the like, that this is part of what brings you together as family. It's a reason to spend time together, to bond, to ingest something you have in common with someone you love or care about or appreciate.

I wouldn't change a thing about it. Yes, I'm insane - I know this. I don't care. This is me. Teams go up, teams go down, teams stay stagnant...but we root and watch because we love the team and we live for the sport of hockey.

Thank you all for sharing my passion with me. Stay strong.

Things will get better. And the wait will be well worth it.

Proudly,
J Buddy

PS: your turn, now

Squantosawuss

Dec 10, 2010
B-lo
Not sure what the best way to start this is, and it's more of a rant than a debate so I don't expect many replies or any discussion to become of it. So I'll just get right into it, and thank you in advance for taking the time to read it.

There's a ton of doom and gloom around here regarding the state of the team, the staff, and the organization, both for the 'now' and the 'immediate future.' Rightfully so. But I feel the need to reiterate something that I've said a few times on here over the course of the last decade during the rough patches:

I live, sleep, breathe, and feed Buffalo Sabres hockey. I am PROUD to be a fan of this team. This is my family, this is my history, and this is my lifeblood. And a poor stretch won't change that. This sport consumes my life, and my passion for the team is unquestionably unwavering.

Talk of giving up on this team as a fan, or talk of rooting for another squad is beyond ridiculous to me. My father was born and raised in North Buffalo, went to Nichols, UB Law, etc.. When he moved down to where I was eventually born (NYC suburb), with him came his passion for Buffalo sports. It was genetically passed on to me. I grew up in, and still reside in, big-time Ranger territory. But I am a SABRES MAN through and through. I cheer when we win, I whine and ***** when we lose, but I will never, ever, EVER stop rooting for this team or this city until my time on this planet is over. I adore the fact that, after a good game or a piss poor game, I get to come on to these boards and talk hockey with some of the most knowledgeable fans on the planet. I love that I can come on to forum 18 and know that someone else will be ready and willing to discuss or debate what was seen, with fiestiness, enthusiasm, and intelligence. I love that I can disagree with a lot of you about a ton of things, but still respect your opinions because we have a mutual passion.

My mood, my energy, my routine, my lifestyle all revolve around this hockey club. My day's plans center around fitting in the DVR'd game at some point in the night, and the following day, my demeanor and my attitude are predetermined by the outcome of the prior night's game.

AND I WOULDN'T HAVE IT ANY OTHER WAY.

Right now, it sucks. But I am fully, 10000% undeniably obsessed with Buffalo Sabres hockey, and I'm ****ing proud to say it. This is me. This is us. This is what I do. This is what my son will grow up seeing; my insane love and passion for the sport, the team, and the city.

Part of being a fan is dealing with the tough times. They happen to every organization in every sport at various times. I encourage you all...keep your head up high. Stay strong. Remember why you are a fan. Realize that, when we finally do win Lord Stanley's Cup, all of the pain and suffering and **** seasons of borderline sickening play will all be forgotten. The tears of joy that will run down my face will be welcomed, my life will be complete, and I'd truly be able to say I saw my team accomplish it and I was a part of it. Realize that, when you're sitting with your Grandfather, or your Dad, or your sons and/or daughters, Uncles, Aunts, gumars, and everything and anything of the like, that this is part of what brings you together as family. It's a reason to spend time together, to bond, to ingest something you have in common with someone you love or care about or appreciate.

I wouldn't change a thing about it. Yes, I'm insane - I know this. I don't care. This is me. Teams go up, teams go down, teams stay stagnant...but we root and watch because we love the team and we live for the sport of hockey.

Thank you all for sharing my passion with me. Stay strong.

Things will get better. And the wait will be well worth it.

Proudly,
J Buddy

PS: your turn, now

What's wrong with the Rangers?

start winnin

NO MORE TANK BOYS
May 7, 2011
Buffalo
My problem is I love this team too much.

I cope by clinging to the hope that this team will suck so bad this year that we land Mackinnon.

Push Dr Tracksuit

Gerstmann 3:16
Jun 9, 2012
Sons of New York! Of Fort Erie! My brothers. I see in your posts the same fear that would take the heart of me. A day may come when the courage of Sabre Nation may fail, when we forsake the Swords and break all bonds of fandom, but it is not this day. An hour of Bruins and risen Devils when the age of Blue and Gold comes crashing down, but it is not this day! This day we cheer! By all you hold dear on this white ice, I bid you stand, Men of Western New York!

For Foligno!

sba

Mar 25, 2004
Buffalo, NY
As absolutely badly as this team sucks huge giant balls right now, and how mind-numbingly boring the games are right now. I still plan to watch all of them, and on days where that happens and I'm still at work, I leave in time to make them still or work from home on those days.

I'd never actively change teams (although I do tend to take an interest in my GF's Penguins, moreso if they're in the playoffs and we're not).

Duddy

Everyday is
Dec 24, 2005
I may not be a born Sabres fan, but I still spend nights watching this team. As much as they piss me off at times, I still can't see myself leaving and switiching teams.
As someone who went through his favorite soccer team fall into bankrupcy (is that a word?) and on the verge to off being folded, to the point were they won the league cup and championship just a few years after, makes me see the future bright for our team. I think Terry and Ted, will do whatever it takes to turn this ship around and win us Cups in the future.
And we all will cry when that day comes, sweet sweet tears of joy, making all these years of suffering worthwile. (I think jbuds wrote the same but diligaf)

for total selfish reasons I want Vanek to be on the team that wins the cup, so he can bring it overhere and I get a chance to see it.

In the end we're all part of the Buffalo Sabres.

Whammer

Sep 22, 2005
Grand Island
www.myspace.com
As absolutely badly as this team sucks huge giant balls right now, and how mind-numbingly boring the games are right now. I still plan to watch all of them, and on days where that happens and I'm still at work, I leave in time to make them still or work from home on those days.

Since 1972 I've watched this team from near and far and will always root for the Sabres, regardless of who is wearing the Blue & Gold. Players have come and gone, but I will be a Sabre fan until I die.

BowieSabresFan

Nov 18, 2010
Since 1972 I've watched this team from near and far and will always root for the Sabres, regardless of who is wearing the Blue & Gold. Players have come and gone, but I will be a Sabre fan until I die.

Bingo. I was 5 when the Sabres came into existence. I grew up on the French Connection. It's a bad season, but hardly the end of the world.

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
Love the team. I'm happy just to see them play. I lived in South Korea for a year and didn't see them play, Germany for five years and rarely saw them play, and Afghanistan for a year where I didn't see them at all. I don't care if they lose all the rest of their games this season... I'll be watching every loss.

They'll get better. Buffalo is going to win a Cup.

(edit: just not this year)

Clock

May 13, 2006
Bingo. I was 5 when the Sabres came into existence. I grew up on the French Connection. It's a bad season, but hardly the end of the world.

Blip on the radar in the big scheme of things. It's seasons like this that make those deep playoff runs so killer. I believe in the new ownership to steer the ship in the right direction, and it's not going to happen overnight. I remain excited for the coming years.

Taking a step back, if they had to really ish the bed to expose the shortcomings of the current team, a shortened lockout season was the time to do it.

jBuds gets my vote for "Most refreshing thread of the year."

Last edited:

ZemgusWho

Jun 19, 2007
Denver
100% Agree. Die hard Buffalo fan trough and through. I watch every game, not because its a chore, or a duty, but because as a Buffalonian living in NYC for the last many years, its the way I feel a link with the people, places, and city I grew up in and still love. I love hockey, love the Sabres, and I don't comment much these days because the negativity is a little excessive at times, but you're not going to ever see me turn in my fan card. Buffalo is where I came from and what made me who I am today. And yeah, maybe some folks don't get it, but Sabres hockey is part of that.

Let's go Buffalo.

Best in the World

Feb 23, 2013
Agreed. Born and raised in Buffalo in Elmwood Village. Born and raised a Sabres, Bills, Bandits, Bisons and Mets fan. I love this city and its teams. I wish everyone would stop being so negative. One day Buffalo will have a Stanley and a Lombardi. It will be even more special once we do since we've been waiting so damn long. Yes, this is the worst Sabres team ever but its not the end of the world.

Myllz

RELEASE THE KRAKEN
Jan 16, 2006
Vegas
I won't stop watching or supporting the Sabres, but at the same time I'll support other teams while Buffalo is awful. If Buffalo doesn't have a current chance to do anything, I'll support other teams to keep me sane.

MayDay

Oct 21, 2005
Pleasantville, NY
Blip on the radar in the big scheme of things. It's seasons like this that make those deep playoff runs so killer.

Yep.

The last time things were this bad on the ice was 2002-03.

Three short years later, the Sabres were in the ECF and one period away from the Cup Final.

Things can and will turn around. This is no time to jump ship. It's just a bad season. You need bad seasons in order to rebuild.

couture23

Jun 23, 2012
Toronto
I'll never miss a game. We were losing 4-0 to the Islanders and my dad wanted to watch another game. I said "not until this one is over". It doesn't matter how bad the team is doing, they still have to have a supportive fanbase or else they are not a team at all.

start winnin

NO MORE TANK BOYS
May 7, 2011
Buffalo
Anyone who roots for a team to lose (which is what you're doing) is no better than rooting for another team instead.

Thanks, jBuds.

That's awfully self-righteous, you don't see me telling you what a fan should or should not do. Is it wrong that I have accepted that this team is going nowhere and I would rather have a high draft pick than a middling one since we're going to miss the playoffs(and don't give me any of that 'we can still make it' crap because we're awful). To me being a fan means being loyal and never giving up on your team. Do you see me running off to be a fan of some successful franchise? No, because being a Sabres fan is who I am, and that won't change no matter what.

Shoey

Hello.
Jun 25, 2006
Buffalo, NY
www.ypoiw.blogspot.com
rah rah Sabres.

I was happy when I checked the schedule today and discovered I don't have to watch them play until tomorrow.

Look, I'm in it for the long haul and I'll always watch and love this team, but it doesn't mean I can't hate them sometimes. I would say that right now is certainly one of those times, I find it extremely hard to root for a team that doesn't give an honest effort on a regular basis.

but they play in Buffalo, so it's not like I have a choice.

Afino

The Juice
Dec 2, 2003
Orchard Park, NY
That's awfully self-righteous, you don't see me telling you what a fan should or should not do. Is it wrong that I have accepted that this team is going nowhere and I would rather have a high draft pick than a middling one since we're going to miss the playoffs(and don't give me any of that 'we can still make it' crap because we're awful). To me being a fan means being loyal and never giving up on your team. Do you see me running off to be a fan of some successful franchise? No, because being a Sabres fan is who I am, and that won't change no matter what.

Would I rather have the Sabres draft 1 than 13? Of course. But I mean, cheering for your team to STOP WINNIN isn't right.

"Craigs on it"
Apr 9, 2012
Canada
Anyone who roots for a team to lose (which is what you're doing) is no better than rooting for another team instead.

Thanks, jBuds.

or it's a fan realizing what is BEST for this team moving foward, don't come in here and question a fans desire for their team because he wants them to continue to lose in what has been a dreadful season, we are 29th in the NHL if we keep losing we will be that much better next year and for years to come, we have been a bubble team for the last 6 years, while we continue to get mid round picks other teams are bringing in franchise players are are contending for the Stanley Cup.

you enjoy our little march to 9th place to instill false hope in the organization, I have a grasp with reality and what is actually best for this team.

I think about this team non stop every day, nothing would be more satisfying than being a year in, year out cup contender

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad