Pre-Game Talk: Headline; Wood used to kill Sharks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
That is so hilarious, making a negative comment about one of the worst goalies in the league and now it is dump all over tippett time. Won;t be long until every ill of this team is laid at the feet of the guy that is gone.

Then we have the he is overplaying two of the best players on earth nonsense. Yeah lets cut their time and give it ryan or yamamoto.

Reactions: Broberg Speed

Kaptah2

Apr 30, 2020
That is so hilarious, making a negative comment about one of the worst goalies in the league and now it is dump all over tippett time. Won;t be long until every ill of this team is laid at the feet of the guy that is gone.

Then we have the he is overplaying two of the best players on earth nonsense. Yeah lets cut their time and give it ryan or yamamoto.
Maybe we should play them more? I bet they can do 35! :nod:

Reactions: Duke74 and elmeroil

Zguy370

Dec 25, 2007
Hrudey on HNIC says he thinks Tippett lost the room for the Koskinen comments after the Rangers game at the beginning of January. He also said an NHL scout told him that Tippett was playing McDavid and Draisaitl way too much.
wrong thread

Last edited:

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario

Time to move on, Dave.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Think this is an interesting perspective given how Drai and McD was very vocal in there support for Kosk. Might be something to it.
People are forgetting that Tippett torpedoed Drai himself in a post game comment earlier in the season saying "Its plays like that which cost us in the playoffs" It was a decidedly negative comment on Drai and I recognized right away it would be perceived as a slight. I said that on the board while othres were saying its nothing. But sure enough the next day Drai is commenting about it, bothered by it and saying "I'm sure I know how to play in the playoffs" Drai was very pointed in response, so much so that it was a given that the media would go back to Dave on his comments, how they were taken, and making Tippett clarify.

Thing is Drai AND Koskinen got hit by comments at different times. So that when you see Drai coming to Koski's aid at least part of that is that Drai understood the feeling of getting roastedto the media, by the coach.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting

This is my favorite Poll ever, not touched by @Cloned;

ayMAG6W_700b.jpg

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
People are forgetting that Tippett torpedoed Drai himself in a post game comment earlier in the season saying "Its plays like that which cost us in the playoffs" It was a decidedly negative comment on Drai and I recognized right away it would be perceived as a slight. I said that on the board while othres were saying its nothing. But sure enough the next day Drai is commenting about it, bothered by it and saying "I'm sure I know how to play in the playoffs" Drai was very pointed in response, so much so that it was a given that the media would go back to Dave on his comments, how they were taken, and making Tippett clarify.

Thing is Drai AND Koskinen got hit by comments at different times. So that when you see Drai coming to Koski's aid at least part of that is that Drai understood the feeling of getting roastedto the media, by the coach.
I forgot all about that with Draisaitl. One thing I found interesting was watching Leon answer the very first question.

Very first question directed at Leon and RNH about the coaching changes. Leon is asked to start first. I noticed he does two things, before he responds he scratches his neck. Then as he says "...two great hockey people lost their jobs, right" he scratches his right cheek.

Some would argue these are common signs of subconscious body language or "tells" when someone is about to or is being deceitful in their response to a question.

Reactions: oilers'72

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
Weird schedule this week. Road back to back in California. Home for one game to play the other California team. Back on the road to Winnipeg then back home the next day to play Minnesota.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I forgot all about that with Draisaitl. One thing I found interesting was watching Leon answer the very first question.

Very first question directed at Leon and RNH about the coaching changes. Leon is asked to start first. I noticed he does two things, before he responds he scratches his neck. Then as he says "...two great hockey people lost their jobs, right" he scratches his right cheek.

Some would argue these are common signs of subconscious body language or "tells" when someone is about to or is being deceitful in their response to a question.

Seems like everybody forgot the playoffs comment about Drai. (that were made in November of this season) I knew that wouldn't go over well, and it didn't. To me that was the start of trouble for Tippett. Even though he said he intended it to come off differently its what he stated and from that moment it seemed like his judgement and reads were off. Because I'm just a punter and I recognized immediately that Drai would not take, or sit down for that comment. Expectedly Drai pushed back on the comment. From that moment you knew that Tippetts read of what he could state, and how to state it, was way off.

Interestingly BOTH Mclellan and Tippett had infamous comments on Drai, that were not well received, and I think both coaches regretted it, and both were made to re explain their comments. In public speaking terms, generally, when you get push back on comments and have to apologize or spend ample time explaining or clarifying these are instances of poor statements that require clarification. Good speakers don't trip over their comments this much. McLellan f***ed up majorly in SanJose as well dissing Thornton and Marleau even before coming here.

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
Seems like everybody forgot the playoffs comment about Drai. (that were made in November of this season) I knew that wouldn't go over well, and it didn't. To me that was the start of trouble for Tippett. Even though he said he intended it to come off differently its what he stated and from that moment it seemed like his judgement and reads were off. Because I'm just a punter and I recognized immediately that Drai would not take, or sit down for that comment. Expectedly Drai pushed back on the comment. From that moment you knew that Tippetts read of what he could state, and how to state it, was way off.

Interestingly BOTH Mclellan and Tippett had infamous comments on Drai, that were not well received, and I think both coaches regretted it, and both were made to re explain their comments. In public speaking terms, generally, when you get push back on comments and have to apologize or spend ample time explaining or clarifying these are instances of poor statements that require clarification. Good speakers don't trip over their comments this much. McLellan f***ed up majorly in SanJose as well dissing Thornton and Marleau even before coming here.

Yep, I remember Mclellan's infamous "Leon skates for Leon" quote.

Makes you wonder how much finger pointing was going on behind closed doors with Tippett, especially on Koskinen with how often the players came to his defense.

I think Woodcroft knows how to communicate and/or criticize constructively without finger-pointing blame and that will go a long way building trust and relationships with the team. Look how hard Leon played defensively the first game. I haven't seen him play like that in a long time.

North

Jun 25, 2009

Makes you wonder how much finger pointing was going on behind closed doors with Tippett, especially on Koskinen with how often the players came to his defense.

I think Woodcroft knows how to communicate and/or criticize constructively without finger-pointing blame and that will go a long way building trust and relationships with the team. Look how hard Leon played defensively the first game. I haven't seen him play like that in a long time.

It seems like Woodcroft is very good at communicating expectations. I didn’t get that sense from Tippett.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting

Makes you wonder how much finger pointing was going on behind closed doors.

Knowing this org its interesting that both of the coaches picked Drai specifically to pile on. I say that specifically because of Lowe and Nicholson who have both been very acerbic to players in the past and it was Nicholson himself who threw dirt on Rieder blaming him for a season. Has to be remembered that Drai is MacT's pick. MacT went to the wall on that one (thank god) But he isn't Lowes or Nicholsons, and they remain here, and remain negative. Food for thought. I mean the team doesn't pick on Connor. Or Nuge. Only Leon and Nurse tend to get looked off by the org. I wonder what Nurse felt all the times that the club were making Larsson and Klef their stated D priorities.

Probably this org doesn't deserve great players but they've played nice with McD and Nuge at least.

Duke74

Jan 13, 2018
Knowing this org its interesting that both of the coaches picked Drai specifically to pile on. I say that specifically because of Lowe and Nicholson who have both been very acerbic to players in the past and it was Nicholson himself who threw dirt on Rieder blaming him for a season. Has to be remembered that Drai is MacT's pick. MacT went to the wall on that one (thank god) But he isn't Lowes or Nicholsons, and they remain here, and remain negative. Food for thought. I mean the team doesn't pick on Connor. Or Nuge. Only Leon and Nurse tend to get looked off by the org. I wonder what Nurse felt all the times that the club were making Larsson and Klef their stated D priorities.

Probably this org doesn't deserve great players but they've played nice with McD and Nuge at least.

The timing of the comments was weird too. Both of them were after wins where Drai did well, contributing to the winning goals. The McLellan comment came after a win against Boston and I think he phrased it like "tonight, Leon skated not just for Leon" or something like that. And the Tippett comment came after a preseason game against the Jets in which Draisaitl threw a backhand pass to Nuge for the winner. Tipp said something to the effect of "he makes those plays too often and they usually get picked off, which killed us in the playoffs." If you're going to publicly criticize a player, do it after a loss, or better yet, a string of them in which he's making particularly lazy efforts.

SwedishFire

Mar 3, 2011

Leon always scratch his cjin, its a comfort thing I think. Dont reain to much. Seen him doing that on nonsense questions as well.

Mr Kot

Jan 15, 2022
Not the thread, but has anyone done their taxes yet? How much did you get for climate rebate? Assuming they are still doing it. I may need to buy a crossbow.

Evilsports

Aug 18, 2015
They're not giving the climate rebate in taxes anymore. As of this year they will be sending out a separate cheque sometime during the year. I think ours was going to be $1000.

Sweetpotato

Jan 10, 2014
Edmonton

I think there's a lot of truth to this.

Draisaitl after the Flames game also said a lot of nice things about Koskinen.
#badleaders

Good on them for supporting him and I wouldn't be surprised if this was at least somewhat true for the players. With that said, if this was the case, someone needed to say something because our record would look very different if someone had the balls to tell Holland to turf Tippett after that game.

Juxta Position

Jul 2, 2006

Leon does these things every single interview. go back and watch any interview he's ever done and he is always scratching his neck, scratching his cheek, rubbing his forehead and eyes, rubbing his head. Now, either he's constantly lying in every interview, or another body language explanation is that these are subconscious self-soothing behaviors that some people do when they are nervous. personally I think it's the latter.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad