Head Coaching Candidates

Who would you hire?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

TheMule93

On a mule rides the swindler
May 26, 2015
Ontario
The front office absolutely destroyed our chances of drafting Dahlin. The odds of winning the lottery dropped substantially over the final 2 weeks of the season.

If by "absolutely destroyed our chances" and "dropped substantially" you mean dropped by like 3%, sure Third last place (where we were) has a 11.5% chance at dahlin. 5th last place has an 8.5%. Besides, how is it the front offices fault? Should Holland have demanded Blashill to start Coreau every game?

Reactions: kliq

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
Keep Blashill. He's won at every other level, he can win at this. Also can develop players.

Alternatives are Vigneault (offensive minded), Tippett (defensive minded), MacLean and McLellan. The two last ones being former assistants with the team.
AV had elite talent in Vancouver and New York. That makes it easier to have really good offensive production. The Wings were one of the highest scoring teams with Rafalski, Lidstrom, Z, Pavs and Mule.

We have zero elite players.

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
If by "absolutely destroyed our chances" and "dropped substantially" you mean dropped by like 3%, sure Third last place (where we were) has a 11.5% chance at dahlin. 5th last place has an 8.5%. Besides, how is it the front offices fault? Should Holland have demanded Blashill to start Coreau every game?
All I'll say is the Toronto Maple Leafs traded a goalie who was winning too much the year they won the lottery. If this team is truly committed to rebuilding and there's an elite talent at the top of the draft and you have already demonstrated you are probably the worst team in the league you should do whatever it takes to give you the best odds, just like Toronto did that year when they drafted Matthews.

I got news for you: we're not getting Dahlin.

kliq

Dec 17, 2017
Tippett is Mike Babcock without the winning. I'm more of a Babs fan than most, his early teams in Detroit were lots of fun. So perhaps a better comparison is Ken Hitchcock. They both take all the fun out of hockey. This team is trash, only reason to watch is to see the young guys develop. With that being the case Tippett would be awful. The stadium would look a lot like the Coyotes arena as far as attendance is concerned.

What I remember from Tippett was a guy who took a team lacking elite talent (sound familiar) and getting the most out of them. I don't think he has ever coached a team that was loaded.

I don't believe our team is trash. I know Wings fans will say that, and I get it, people are bitter, but I think we are a team with zero elite talent, a bad coach, and a ton of good depth guys where everyone is playing a line ahead of where they should be.

My worry is that guys like Larkin, Mantha etc. will be stunted by Blashill and I would love to see them get a better coach. But if we get better coach, I could easily see this team rising from the 25-31 range to the 18-25 range which means poor pick (which is why I hate the system), so I dont know what I want.

For the record, I'm not sold on Tippett, just an observation from watching him coach the Yotes.

kliq

Dec 17, 2017
All I'll say is the Toronto Maple Leafs traded a goalie who was winning too much the year they won the lottery. If this team is truly committed to rebuilding and there's an elite talent at the top of the draft and you have already demonstrated you are probably the worst team in the league you should do whatever it takes to give you the best odds, just like Toronto did that year when they drafted Matthews.

I got news for you: we're not getting Dahlin.

He had 11 wins in 32 games, was a backup to Bernier (stats may not appear that way, but I'm almost sure Bernier was hurt early), they were out of it, and he was about to be a UFA.

The Wings pretty much did this with Mrazek except Mrazek's stats weren't as good, but he was was on a hot streak when they moved him.

TheRatPoisoner

Feb 23, 2015
When only one guy shows actual development it's pretty much a given that it is the player, not the coach. Looks at how many guys have either regressed or never developed under Blashill and that will tell you everything you need to know.

Larkin is the exception, not the rule.

Flawed way of looking at it.

Should look at both the successes and failures of Blashill to evaluate the job he's done thus far. Even though his failures outweigh the successes, I would still consider Larkin's progression this season to be one of Blashill's accomplishments.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad