Head Coaching Candidates

Who would you hire?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
All those coaches are terrible.
Good.

Our team is terrible. Get a terrible coach, ensure the tank.

Once we finally have a decent team then go out and get a good coach.

What good is a guy like Tippet who will elevate this bad team into a possible playoff position only to lose in the 1st round, or 2nd round at best, like he did for so long in Arizona?

Long term outlook, our coach doesn't matter. Hire anyone, give em a ton of money so they aren't worried about job security, make it clear that their mission isn't to win games but to develop the kids. Give them ice time. Let them succeed. Don't bench them after 1 mistake. Don't rely on the 38 year old Zetterberg for 20+ minutes a night.

The Vancouver model. The Sedins know it's over. Play them like it's over. Because it's over.

Redder Winger

May 4, 2017
I voted Oates.
No more AHLers

Nelson playing the veterans over the kids in GR doesn't sit well with me, even if the kids there aren't that great.

Reddwit

Feb 4, 2016
Unpopular opinion but I wouldn't be opposed to Ruff. He's been around the block and strikes me as the kind of guy who is interested in becoming a better coach rather than finding a place where he can impose his hockey dogma. Kinda felt like he took a "back to school" approach after his time in Dallas. And the last thing we need as a team without direction or identity is a coach who takes a "one size fits all" approach. Would love Trotz for the same reason.

FMichael

Dec 22, 2010
Wisconsin
I want an old school guy behind the bench...A real hard-azz if you will...Someone who preaches the basics, and keeps the game simple.

My vote goes to...
DARRYL SUTTER

Reactions: lilidk

Lampedampe

Feb 26, 2015
Id rather keep our very own Tank commander in Blashill.

But if Blash had to go i'd rather see Nelson take the helm. It's not like it's gonna matter who's our coach in the coming 3-5 years anyway, and we might aswell see what Nelson has to offer.

njx9

Feb 1, 2016
Pick whoever is best at developing young players. The team's not going to win anything in the two years a new coach would last, so don't worry about grabbing the next guy who's really going to lead the team. I don't know that any of the above really fit that bill, but I can't pretend I know a ton about a few of the non-former NHL coaches on that list.

If Holland goes (and leaves the FO entirely), I'm not opposed to bringing back Blash, but I think the team continues to stagnate if both stay (in terms of player development).

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
I want an old school guy behind the bench...A real hard-azz if you will...Someone who preaches the basics, and keeps the game simple.

My vote goes to...
DARRYL SUTTER

HE would fit on the bill of "we need to get bigger and tougher"... and if they still draft players like Tkachuk...

DetroitRed

Crashes the Crease
Apr 7, 2013
Detroit
Of the guys on the list, Sutter would be interesting because he would probably bring the most contrast. That said though, I'm not sure the Wings necessarily need a guy who has such a different way. Hopefully, Joel Quenneville will be in the mood for a fixer-upper.

Joel, do you like projects?

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
I once coached my team of 12 year olds to a division 3 semi finals... can I get the job?
I would deffo hire you.

Pros:
  1. Knows how to work with the young kids
  2. Not experienced. Likely to help the necessary tank job.
  3. HFBoards member. I expect you to run a poll for every major coaching decision and follow the results.

DetroitRed

Crashes the Crease
Apr 7, 2013
Detroit
Yep i'm going with Dean Lombardi for GM and Darryl Sutter for Coach.
Everything is in just such a shambles, it's good to mention getting a new GM. That's what I think is the priority.

They absolutely need a coach who gets the players to play up to their potential and makes them always play hard. They need a coach who can instill that kind of work ethic in his team. Simultaneously, the reality is that the Wings' collective full potential may have them finishing in dead last if they don't start developing and minding finances better. Also, dead last is more or less where they'll stay regardless of who they draft, if they don't fix those issues. So, we gotta make sure we don't get the cart before the horse.

I think they could afford to sign another relative unknown like they did with Blashill, if they give a shorter leash. However, I don't think signing another wildcard coach is a good idea if Ken Holland is still in place. However, if you bring in a Todd Nelson with a different GM, like Lombardi, then it has potential to work really well. So, I can kinda see the Todd Nelson angle, even though I voted Sutter.

Last edited:

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville
I'm gonna make a push for our last coach Michel Therrien.

he is really good tu put a structure to a young team like he made here and in Pittsburgh ! for 2-3 years before you come contender he is your guys ! But Sheldon Keefe, Benoit Groulx and Jim Montgomery are the 3 best coach that can be your long time coach I think

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->