Head Coach

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Hound

Oct 10, 2015
I was all for Tippett, I’m leaning more towards Nelson now. Either would be an instant upgrade, so I won’t be mad over who we sign. I do think Nelson makes more sense with our core being pretty young. He seems like a guy players actually like to play for, more fitting for young players.

Todd Parchment

Apr 5, 2018
I find it hilarious how everyone here is talking about “systems” each coach uses like they know a damn thing about it. Me included. Using random numbers from years ago to back their argument like it’s actually relevant. You would think we would have a better discussion about coaching than “____ won ____ games 600 years ago” or “ ____ scored 30 goals under my favourite coach so he’s obviously an offensive genius”. “Lol this coach is a dinosaur”, “lol this coach has no experience”. Such fantastical insight.

McBooya42

Let's do this!
Jun 28, 2010
Edmonton
I was all for Tippett, I’m leaning more towards Nelson now. Either would be an instant upgrade, so I won’t be mad over who we sign. I do think Nelson makes more sense with our core being pretty young. He seems like a guy players actually like to play for, more fitting for young players.
You haven't been paying attention have you? Nelson by all reports is out.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Quite frankly, I just want a guy that coaches to the strengths of his roster and not be married to a one size fits all system. That was my biggest issue with Mclellan. If Tippett is one of those coaches then I’ll be okay with hiring him.
This is all I've wanted for a long time. A coach that is willing to adapt to his roster and play to it's strengths. A coach that gets the most of his roster.

Messrules11

6 Cups, elbows up.
Nov 23, 2018
well the piggly wiggly is a fairly iconic pop culture reference. Somehow spelunking in the sobeys lost n found just doesn't work as well. But I digress.

Part b. Assuming the rumor mill is accurate and they do hire tippet. As I said earlier the organization can be banked on to make the supposed safe choice which ultimately blows up in their faces . Aka oilers gonna oiler. The only surer bet is Taylor hall guiding his team to lotto glory every 2nd season. Chia ( I thought he actually did some good things up to the end of the playoff birth but followed it up with a whole lotta hey y'all watch this moves and he should have had supervision) , wrong Todd, he got them to play a system and sans fail~or fall they managed to stick to it. After surprising the whole league with their ability to stick to the plan 2 factors saw him shown the door, first was his lack of willingness to stick up for the team when they where getting shafted the 2nd was its easy to counter an outdated system. I don't recall the player but the gist of the post game interview was "oh yeah that power play, I haven't seen that in like 5 years. " The justification for both of those hires was their previous resume . Yet in the end it was discovered chia was a fraud and wrong Todd's toolbox was just an impressive hammer collection.

Tippet in turn is the safe play from that perspective . But He's been able to operate in a relative vacuum in markets where the fans give a crap meter barely moves, I think he wilts under the bright lights of a fanatical hockey market that has a lacking roster which will make wins tough to come by.

Unfortunately the one bold move the organization opted to take (eakins) was undertaken by mact who was completely unqualified to do so. You could see that going off the rails from donut day one.

It takes a truly tough nut to hack it here. Nelson had the brass to stick the bona fide coach assassin/ lotto lucky charm on the third line when he refused to play a team game. ( very much against the marching orders from upstairs ) That alone earns him my respect .

I see a lot of early exits after solid regular seasons under tippets name and one championship vs the 3 on nelly's list. Ooh and a jack Adams, but wasn't wrong Todd up for that one too? How'd his follow up season turn out? Ah yes I believe
it was a steaming pile...

I can confidently say nelson excels at building a game plan to fit the roster . There is a doubt tippet will get the buy in required on all fronts.
I'm also not ok with tippet being complicit in tanking a season to try and land the big draft fish of McDavid. I wasn't ok with the oilers decision to build panzers and build through the draft at the time either.
Nelsons 17 in 46 was bested by tippets hold my beer 30 in 82 performance. So yes I very much prefer nelsons philosophy on coaching and the fact he's never willingly phoned it in. Thus I'm predicting 3 seasons and a similar look on Holland's face to that of mact when he had to send the puppy to "the farm" .

have you ever known a really talented person who doesn't interview well? How bout the unqualified buffoon that can bs his way through an interview like a rock star? I'd put nelly and his cheap suit in the former category. Plus the nhl management and coaching gig is its own old boys club of expired best before dates, they're like a small town high school , everybody's dated everybody else. They just cycle through most of the time. Only Occasionally does a new girl move to town .
You claim Tippett ‘tanked’ to try and land McDavid? That’s rich, one look at the 14-15 season says you’re full of crap. The Yotes were terrible all year, OEL led that team with 41 points the second highest goal scorer was Gagner with a whopping 15 goals. Go look up their roster that year, the fact they even won 24 games is a miracle. 14-15 was also the year your boy Nelson was behind our bench, the Yotes went 5-0 against the Oilers that season. So what you’re saying is Nelson couldn’t even beat a tanking team. You should do some research before you spout off.

Reactions: bobbythebrain

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
I wonder if part of the delay on this is because Tippett is deciding what to do with assistants?

Might be touching base with our current staff to see where their heads are at.

jlockhart89

Humboldt Strong
Jul 16, 2004
Humboldt, SK

As usual, the hammerhead Craig Button craps all over the perceived favorite Tippett due to his coaching structure. When Lebrun brings up the valid point that a lot of the Coyotes structure was geared towards their lack of talent, and that with McDavid the structure would likely differ, Button just completely blows him off and ignores what he said... what a buffoon this guy must be to work with.

I'm sure if it was the Flames he'd have trumpets blowing and red carpet rolled out.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
I wonder if part of the delay on this is because Tippett is deciding what to do with assistants?

Might be touching base with our current staff to see where their heads are at.
I think Gulutzan would be the guy to go. Yawney is a good defensive guy and Viverios is good but didn't get much time with Gulutzan there.

Reactions: KYams17

Aerrol

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Sep 18, 2014
Quite frankly, I just want a guy that coaches to the strengths of his roster and not be married to a one size fits all system. That was my biggest issue with Mclellan. If Tippett is one of those coaches then I’ll be okay with hiring him.

I didn't like how he coached in Arizona but hey, I didn't like how Trotz coached in Nashville but his Washington team's, especially the cup winning squad, were fun to watch. So I'm definitely open to Tippett.

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
As usual, the hammerhead Craig Button craps all over the perceived favorite Tippett due to his coaching structure. When Lebrun brings up the valid point that a lot of the Coyotes structure was geared towards their lack of talent, and that with McDavid the structure would likely differ, Button just completely blows him off and ignores what he said... what a buffoon this guy must be to work with.

I'm sure if it was the Flames he'd have trumpets blowing and red carpet rolled out.
It seemed like Button just looked for an excuse to rip us and then when LeBrun cuts him off he gets irritated/angry

Weitz

Sep 23, 2014
It seemed like Button just looked for an excuse to rip us and then when LeBrun cuts him off he gets irritated/angry

Pretty hyperbolic here.

Button raised some good points in a calm way and LeBrun responded and Button mentions the game has changed which is true. Pretty easy level headed conversation going on there.

I don't know how I feel about the potential hire but I know these older coaches aren't seeing the success in the new NHL anymore. If he comes in and implements his Arizona style I don't see it being successful.

I do however feel he is a bright guy and knows this. Hopefully he took his time away from the game to change his approach in a beneficial manner.

BudBundy

May 16, 2005
I didn't like how he coached in Arizona but hey, I didn't like how Trotz coached in Nashville but his Washington team's, especially the cup winning squad, were fun to watch. So I'm definitely open to Tippett.
I would like to know what you didnt see in Trotz during his Nashville tenure. He got ridiculously good performances out of a lot of mediocre rosters. I found them to be hard and aggressive forechecking teams that were fun to watch.

jlockhart89

Humboldt Strong
Jul 16, 2004
Humboldt, SK
Pretty hyperbolic here.

Button raised some good points in a calm way and LeBrun responded and Button mentions the game has changed which is true. Pretty easy level headed conversation going on there.

I don't know how I feel about the potential hire but I know these older coaches aren't seeing the success in the new NHL anymore. If he comes in and implements his Arizona style I don't see it being successful.

I do however feel he is a bright guy and knows this. Hopefully he took his time away from the game to change his approach in a beneficial manner.

Button's initial point was correct, the game has changed; but when Lebrun argues that perhaps the roster structure lead to it and that the game plan with McDavid would likely change, it's as if Button completely ignores his point and just re-iterates that the old coaching style won't work in today's game. Granted I'm not a fan of Button, so perhaps I'm making more of it than there is.

Reactions: KYams17

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
I think Gulutzan would be the guy to go. Yawney is a good defensive guy and Viverios is good but didn't get much time with Gulutzan there.
Like the head coach himself I don't know that I really care, just as long as everyone is on the same page.

Last year Viverios was talked as a PP guru, yet Gulutzan was seen many times running the PP practices. Not sure how you bring in a guy to do one thing and then never really have him do that job.

Just seems like we had a year where we had all these people and they all had different opinions and never worked as a team. Different opinions is great, but you'd think when you sit down and do interviews that you and your assistants would have a game plan.

The one downside with Yawney is he doesn't like to show his guy's mistakes. He instead tries to just show them the positives and keep everything posivite. At some point if the guys are continuing to make the same mistakes, you have to show them their mistakes and work on them. That and some guys don't learn if you don't show them their mistakes. If you continue to give positive reinforcement, guys really aren't going to know that they are doing anything bad.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
Pretty hyperbolic here.

That trotz guy sure isn’t seeing success in this new NHL

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
Pretty hyperbolic here.

Only thing I would say about Button is that he has a real hatred about the Oilers, so its hard to really tell whether hes being honest or not. Anyone is allowed to have any skepticism around this team, the management has continuously made error after error so until they prove otherwise, I think its fine to be skeptical of the Oilers.

I think one thing really bothers me about Button is Evan Bouchard. Before the draft, he was raving about him and how he thought he would be a top pairing defenseman. By all accounts he had a pretty good year this year, did well in OHL regular season, had a good OHL playoffs and had a good AHL playoffs. But now since the Oilers drafted him, hes not even in the top 50 prospects? Give me a break. I am sure sure Button, makes some good points about stuff, but his bias is so over the top when it comes to the Oilers thats its hard to take him serious.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Only thing I would say about Button is that he has a real hatred about the Oilers, so its hard to really tell whether hes being honest or not. Anyone is allowed to have any skepticism around this team, the management has continuously made error after error so until they prove otherwise, I think its fine to be skeptical of the Oilers.

I think one thing really bothers me about Button is Evan Bouchard. Before the draft, he was raving about him and how he thought he would be a top pairing defenseman. By all accounts he had a pretty good year this year, did well in OHL regular season, had a good OHL playoffs and had a good AHL playoffs. But now since the Oilers drafted him, hes not even in the top 50 prospects? Give me a break. I am sure sure Button, makes some good points about stuff, but his bias is so over the top when it comes to the Oilers.
I don't even get it to be honest. On Gregor's show he's usually quite a straight shooter and doesn't really shit on the Oilers. Soon as he is away from EDM media he does a 360

russ99

Jun 9, 2011
I like Tippett.

He’s a known quantity, respected and it would be a coup to lure him away from Seattle.

We’ll have one of the youngest if not the youngest teams in the league again next year, so structure is essential. Tippett being able to adapt his systems for the roster he has goes a long way for me.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
I like Tippett.

He’s a known quantity, respected and it would be a coup to lure him away from Seattle.

We’ll have one of the youngest if not the youngest teams in the league again next year, so structure is essential. Tippett being able to adapt his systems for the roster he has goes a long way for me.
I think one of the other benefits to Holland that Tippett would bring is some insight into personal for management. Tippett has been identifying guys for Seattle and might have some info on guys that Holland either doesn't have or didn't think to have.

Reactions: Mcjlockhart89

PBandJ

If it didn't happen in the 80's, it didn't happen
Jan 5, 2012
Edmonton, Alberta
Not happy with Tippet. Dude hasn't coached for a few years and is a pretty consistent loser coaching at the pro level. His teams consistently get dismantled the moment they make the playoffs outside that outlier CF run.

GodPucker

Sep 27, 2017
Based on his body of work and reputation outside of Edmonton, he's probably a pretty good candidate and deserving of a head coach opportunity but one of the biggest myths around the Oilers has to be the idea that Oilers played well under him. They were more entertaining and a better at scoring goals, but they were still completely abysmal. Their GA/G shot up to 3.5 a game. They were wild horses; no structure at all and would have only drafted one spot higher based on Todd Nelson's point percentage had he been the coach all year.

Even Nail Yakupov, who people want to think was good in this period, scored only like 25 points in 51 games under Nelson. Imagine Alex Chaisson this past year, add a few assists and take away a couple goals and then picture him as the worst defensive forward the Oilers have employed in this century. That's what Nail was under Todd Nelson.

shhhhh. This doesn't fit the Nelson nut huggers narrative lol

Paperbagofglory

Nov 15, 2010
Tippett is apparently hated by a lot of players much like Babcock is disliked by a lot of former players that were on his roster. The difference is while Mike Babcock is a bit of a dick Tippett is on a whole other level. Rumors and stories of him not letting a player practice with the team because he had a personal problem with them, including not allowing them to practice in the arena even when the team was off the ice.

Don't take it as gospel, but i know a guy that guys a guy that knows a guy that plays in the NHL who dates someone who's a roomate of a cousin. There have been rumors for a while that players get sick of him pretty quick and hes inflexible, super critical, and will not adjust according to his players needs but more so his way or the high way. Hes gotten mad at players who told him they were injured and could not go despite him disagreeing and thinking that they weren't injured enough according to his opinion. Approach with caution.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad