Speculation: Head Coach Hunt 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I don't understand why an organization would spend $7 mil a yr on a small winger with more promise than performance, yet wants to go cheap on a HC.

If we assume a good HC is worth 15 more pts per season, that's enough to make the playoffs much more consistently, which means more revenue for the organization.
Bingo! We are going on a hope and a prayer, again. A cheap inexperienced GM, and now a cheap inexperienced coach. This may not end well. It would be nice if it works, but I'm not holding my breath.

MIGs Dog

Jan 3, 2012
From what I can find, NHL HC salaries range from 1-5 mil per season. Doesn't seem wise to save a few million when winning more games will more than makeup for the extra cost.

Reactions: Jakey53

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
From what I can find, NHL HC salaries range from 1-5 mil per season. Doesn't seem wise to save a few million when winning more games will more than makeup for the extra cost.

Here are the known ones:

Coaches - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

Have also heard elsewhere that Blashill makes 800k and DJ Smith 900k.

Also sounds like Brind'Amour is taking a big discount in Carolina with a 1.8 mil extension.

sundance74

Oct 13, 2013
North of Puszta
What about Marco Sturm? Assistant in LA since 2018, had some success with German national team (some quarter finals at the WC and Olympic silver medal), is young (42) and his contract expires this summer... Ok, as a German I'm maybe biased a little, but could be really worth a look since he hasn't been mentioned yet

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
What about Marco Sturm? Assistant in LA since 2018, had some success with German national team (some quarter finals at the WC and Olympic silver medal), is young (42) and his contract expires this summer... Ok, as a German I'm maybe biased a little, but could be really worth a look since he hasn't been mentioned yet
It seems his only head coaching experience is in international tournaments. He seems like a fine coaching prospect but he doesn’t have even half the experience I’d be looking for in an NHL head coach.

Reactions: sundance74

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
That’s the case for me only in the event of Eichel. If we need to give Jack a reason to be happy with us.

Is Quinn "young"? He's 54 but he has only been an NHL coach for a few years, and is only a few years removed from NCAA. That seems wildly different than a 54-year-old Paul Maurice for example who has been an NHL coach forever and who may be a little more crusty and stuck in his ways.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Also interesting that the NYR are supposedly in on Eichel but just canned the coach he loves.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Is Quinn "young"? He's 54 but he has only been an NHL coach for a few years, and is only a few years removed from NCAA. That seems wildly different than a 54-year-old Paul Maurice for example who has been an NHL coach forever and who may be a little more crusty and stuck in his ways.
Isn’t Tocchet 55?

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Don’t be surprised if Patrick Roy is the next coach of the NYR. They can pay him. He wants a big market. He wants some personnel say and he can get that with an inexperienced GM in Drury who also happens to be a former teammate. Oh and having a French speaking coach should help Laf feel more comfortable.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
I would put David Quinn in the same vein as Leaman in that Army has probably has seen his teams play a ton given Quinn coached at BU and Army was based in New England. Probably has a good book on him.

Coyotedroppings

Jul 16, 2017
I like him a lot. I’d be happy if we hired him. Having said that, BA’s first word when describing the new coach was “young”. At 51, Nelson isn’t old by any standard. But he’s not exactly young by most standards, either.

I have zero problems with his age - haha. But then again, I wouldn’t start my description of my ideal coach with the word “young”:dunno:

I think we should have hired Nelson four years ago instead Tocchet. That’s for sure.
He’s the guy I wanted. I think we’d be further along, for certain.

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
I don't know much about Quinn, but if he is still getting paid by the Rangers, perhaps he can be had for under market?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad