Speculation: HC Doug MacLean suggested that Jake Gardiner is a great fit for VGK

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
Just said on Hockey Central.

This comment seems pedestrian, but then you have to consider how close he is with Gerard Gallant. This could actually be a thing.

Who does VGK have that TOR needs?

WesMcCauley

Apr 24, 2015
Why?
Vegas already have Schmidt and Theodore signed longterm.
Giving Gardiner a big long contract would be stupidity, specially when they have a LH prospect like Brannstrom ready to step in next season most likely.
Vegas also have Holden, McNabb and Merill signed for atleast another season after this one and all are LH defensemen.
Either MacLean are just making up shit or GMGM is gonna lose his job in a couple of years for giving Gardiner a big contract.

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
Just said on Hockey Central.

This comment seems pedestrian, but then you have to consider how close he is with Gerard Gallant. This could actually be a thing.

Who does VGK have that TOR needs?

They JUST got Schmidt back and Miller started scoring from the point.

Plus Theodore had 2 goals the other day. The defense is finally getting some offense going, the team is playing faster with Schmidt in the lineup and their best deadline addition will be calling up Brannstrom.

Reactions: BHD

Holymakinaw

May 22, 2007
Toronto
Why?
Vegas already have Schmidt and Theodore signed longterm.
Giving Gardiner a big long contract would be stupidity, specially when they have a LH prospect like Brannstrom ready to step in next season most likely.
Vegas also have Holden, McNabb and Merill signed for atleast another season after this one and all are LH defensemen.
Either MacLean are just making up **** or GMGM is gonna lose his job in a couple of years for giving Gardiner a big contract.

Because Gardiner is better than any of those guys you mentioned?

Dustin

Sep 24, 2014
Whether he is or not so doubt Vegas would trade for him. They are not in contention and if they wait until the end of the year they can most likely offer him more than anyone else.

Reactions: heybuddyhowyadoing

WesMcCauley

Apr 24, 2015
Jake gardiner is a fit for any team that wants a defencemen that has no brains and needs to be sheltered
He is a decent player right now but has some pretty significant flaws in his game. The moment he loses a step, he is not going to be effective at NHL level anymore and will probably turn into a Marc Staal level defensemen with a bad contract.

varano

Jun 27, 2013
He is a decent player right now but has some pretty significant flaws in his game. The moment he loses a step, he is not going to be effective at NHL level anymore and will probably turn into a Marc Staal level defensemen with a bad contract.
No... Closer to a Kevin Shattenkirk. Signs a big deal as a free agent and then ceases to exist

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
although I wouldn't hate a Miller ++ for Gardiner (re-signed) deal, depending on the AAV and what those +'s are...

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
A team that has Theodore and Schmidt, plus Brannstrom in the system is a great fit for Gardiner? Plus Bill Karlsson as an RFA at the end of the year.

Methinks MacLean is reminding us again why he's no longer in hockey management.

Reactions: MisterT

NoName

Bringer of Playoffs!
Nov 3, 2017
He is a UFA next season and Toronto will pretty much assuredly have to let him walk if they resign Nylander in te next couple days and Matthews and Marner next spring, so if Vegas is willing to fork out the money, I think they can get him.

Ciccio1980

Mar 7, 2012
It's funny when it comes to Gardiner he's called a crappy d
But when it comes to other teams 5 or 6 d they are worth nylander

member 147413

Gardiner isn't having the greatest season so far.
Offensively no, but he’s playing great defense and maintains good advanced stats.

People shit on Gards for his 1v1 play which leaves more to be desired, but he’s got an elite breakout pass and makes his teammates job easier (when he doesn’t have brutal giveaways)

Reactions: Raymoondo

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
Offensively no, but he’s playing great defense and maintains good advanced stats.

People **** on guards for his 1v1 play which leaves more to be desired, but he’s got an elite breakout pass and makes his teammates job easier (when he doesn’t have brutal giveaways)

His counting stats decline make it easier for the leafs to keep him.

Reactions: FishManSam

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
Unless you think he's the difference maker in them winning the cup this season, why not wait? Toronto isn't a team I would bet money against letting somebody walk instead of trading them during the season. So if Jake isn't in their long term plans, I'd wait it out if I'm Vegas.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad