Ukraine: HC Donbas

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
Xokkeu
ok, I just thought that if Kolesnikov is involved in Shaktar, Ahkmetov is involved in Donbass as well. Now I know he is not.

ozo

Feb 24, 2010
Julius Supler is named as head coach of Donbass for next three seasons. Weak appointment. It's amazing how he still manages to find job in the KHL.

ozo

Feb 24, 2010
after a crap job he did with CSKA I am shocked that he's hired

So now there's a good chance (if Supler will have a saying in it) that there will be more Slovaks/Czechs on Donbass roster than Russians which could also impact the plans of the naturalization of players for National team purposes because .

Sokil

Ukraine Specialitsky
Apr 29, 2010
Toronto
supermensa.org
So now there's a good chance (if Supler will have a saying in it) that there will be more Slovaks/Czechs on Donbass roster than Russians which could also impact the plans of the naturalization of players for National team purposes because .

so you think they're going to naturalize czechoslovaks? interesting

mind you, when HC Budivelnyk tried starting up, the first thing they did was sign a bunch of czechs/slovaks as well

ozo

Feb 24, 2010

Wow, where the second part of my last post disappeared? :laugh: On a contrary. It impossible to find a Czechoslovak good enough who's not capped already for one their respective countries at junior level at least. A Russian? Whole another ball game.

Budivelnik dipped in Czechoslovak player pool because it's the biggest untapped market and the quickest way to build a competative roster. Lot of talant in those leagues which could do well in KHL if there were no foreigner restrictions in KHL.

Xokkeu

Apr 5, 2012
Frozen
So it is confirmed that Bratislava, Prague and Donetsk will all have KHL teams now.

Wow, truly a Kontinental league.

Czechs, Slovakia, Ukraine, Latvia, Russia, Belarus, Kazakhstan.

Next step just need to get the KHL into NHL 13. :)

Xokkeu

Apr 5, 2012
Frozen
Wow, where the second part of my last post disappeared? :laugh: On a contrary. It impossible to find a Czechoslovak good enough who's not capped already for one their respective countries at junior level at least. A Russian? Whole another ball game.

Budivelnik dipped in Czechoslovak player pool because it's the biggest untapped market and the quickest way to build a competative roster. Lot of talant in those leagues which could do well in KHL if there were no foreigner restrictions in KHL.

Hell Ukraine could do well enough just to keep our players from naturalizing in Russia.

smitty10

Aug 6, 2009
Toronto
So it is confirmed that Bratislava, Prague and Donetsk will all have KHL teams now.

Wow, truly a Kontinental league.

Czechs, Slovakia, Ukraine, Latvia, Russia, Belarus, Kazakhstan.

Next step just need to get the KHL into NHL 13. :)

It'd be nice to see the KHL expand to Japan or another decent hockey market in Asia. I don't know if that would ever happen, but it would be interesting to see.

Xokkeu

Apr 5, 2012
Frozen
It'd be nice to see the KHL expand to Japan or another decent hockey market in Asia. I don't know if that would ever happen, but it would be interesting to see.

Don't know about any of the logistics of it, other than Khabarovsk is already way too far from any other team, but it'd be interesting to consider Korea considering they are looking to build a reasonable program by 2018.

Anyway, more important is to get Sokil into the KHL. :nod:

smitty10

Aug 6, 2009
Toronto
Don't know about any of the logistics of it, other than Khabarovsk is already way too far from any other team, but it'd be interesting to consider Korea considering they are looking to build a reasonable program by 2018.

Anyway, more important is to get Sokil into the KHL. :nod:

Is there a need/big enough base for two teams in Ukraine? I'd think that Kazzinc-Torpedo or one of the big Belarussian teams would move up before Sokil.

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
wont happpen

mind you, when HC Budivelnyk tried starting up, the first thing they did was sign a bunch of czechs/slovaks as well
coach was Jandač, czech native, it is a reason why slovaks/czechs were signed. Btw, he is a new coach of HC LEV Prague.

ozo

Feb 24, 2010
Is there a need/big enough base for two teams in Ukraine? I'd think that Kazzinc-Torpedo or one of the big Belarussian teams would move up before Sokil.

You can tell this post was created in NA. :) No offence intended.

First off KHL doesn't really want anymore Kazakh or Belarussian teams in the league so unless they pull the necessary infrastructure and budget it's not gonna happen, there league will not be lenient like in Donbass' case. Ust-Kamenogorsk is a real hockeytown but their main arena is reall old and too small and their ownership is a mess. There was talks about second Minsk franchise but it was rebuffed by Belarussian hockey autorities (some even say Lukashenko himself), because they want Dinamo to have monopoly in the town, but there isn't city big enough to generate the KHL resources anywhere else in Belarus.

And about that fanbase thingy, no real Kiev sports fan will ever root for Donetsk sports team. Period. Even then Ukraine is a huge country in a first place, if it wasn't a former Soviet country it could support more than five franchises. Sure general hockey fans will follow DOnbass, but every will leave the bandwagon if the local KHL team would be to emerge.

cska78

Nov 27, 2006
USA
www.fc-rostov.ru
Hell Ukraine could do well enough just to keep our players from naturalizing in Russia.

your players CHOOSE to be naturalized in Russia, as there was no hockey future in Ukraine. With emergence of Donbas and somewhat of a pro league Ukraine has started a process, that may be some day, talented Ukrainians will no longer want to become Russian citizens to play good hockey.

Xokkeu

Apr 5, 2012
Frozen
your players CHOOSE to be naturalized in Russia, as there was no hockey future in Ukraine. With emergence of Donbas and somewhat of a pro league Ukraine has started a process, that may be some day, talented Ukrainians will no longer want to become Russian citizens to play good hockey.

Yes, that's why we wanted a KHL team.

Xokkeu

Apr 5, 2012
Frozen
You can tell this post was created in NA. :) No offence intended.

First off KHL doesn't really want anymore Kazakh or Belarussian teams in the league so unless they pull the necessary infrastructure and budget it's not gonna happen, there league will not be lenient like in Donbass' case. Ust-Kamenogorsk is a real hockeytown but their main arena is reall old and too small and their ownership is a mess. There was talks about second Minsk franchise but it was rebuffed by Belarussian hockey autorities (some even say Lukashenko himself), because they want Dinamo to have monopoly in the town, but there isn't city big enough to generate the KHL resources anywhere else in Belarus.

And about that fanbase thingy, no real Kiev sports fan will ever root for Donetsk sports team. Period. Even then Ukraine is a huge country in a first place, if it wasn't a former Soviet country it could support more than five franchises. Sure general hockey fans will follow DOnbass, but every will leave the bandwagon if the local KHL team would be to emerge.

Yep. Kiev is a long ways away from Donetsk and the two cities don't see each other in the kindest light. Kiev is also a city of 4 million and would be one of the largest markets in the KHL. The only problem is getting somebody to invest the money to "promote" Sokil.

ozo

Feb 24, 2010
Yep. Kiev is a long ways away from Donetsk and the two cities don't see each other in the kindest light. Kiev is also a city of 4 million and would be one of the largest markets in the KHL. The only problem is getting somebody to invest the money to "promote" Sokil.

As much as I would like to see Sokil in KHL, it's more likely it will be a new "Budivelnik" or Berkut because Sokil probably is neck deep in debt. Even Sokil's kid programme doesn't look good anymore, recently checked their kids tournament scores and saw that they are loosing with double digit scores to Moscow teams. :shakehead

Xokkeu

Apr 5, 2012
Frozen
As much as I would like to see Sokil in KHL, it's more likely it will be a new "Budivelnik" or Berkut because Sokil probably is neck deep in debt. Even Sokil's kid programme doesn't look good anymore, recently checked their kids tournament scores and saw that they are loosing with double digit scores to Moscow teams. :shakehead

Well beggars can't be choosers. I'd like to think the Sokil brand name would mean something, but I'd settle for Budivelnik getting in.

Then we could focus on Kharkiv getting a team. :laugh:

Sokil

Ukraine Specialitsky
Apr 29, 2010
Toronto
supermensa.org

well, I can see them selling the franchise then

or continuing to operate as they do in the PHL and having a new ownership group use/license the name

ozo

Feb 24, 2010
I'd like to think the Sokil brand name would mean something, but I'd settle for Budivelnik getting in.

The brand means a lot, but if obtaining it would mean that potential buyer has to spend extra money just to cover former debts, investor might be better off creating a new club. If I remember this correctly Budivelnik was created (on paper) exactly because of this reason. If Donbass will be a success (and I see why not, although Supler is still Supler), I see that someone will get a thing going in Kiev as well, because there simply too much potential.

So the new rules mean, Donbass will need 5 Ukrainians. Who are these 5 best available Ukrainians that will make the roster for sure?

finchster

Jul 12, 2006
Antalya
So the new rules mean, Donbass will need 5 Ukrainians. Who are these 5 best available Ukrainians that will make the roster for sure?

Question, is it 5 Ukrainians who can play for the national team? Or 5 players who can get/have a Ukrainian passport?

Tverdovsky is out of contract this year, I wonder if he comes back home to finish his career.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad