Ukraine: HC Donbas

Sokil

Ukraine Specialitsky
Apr 29, 2010
Toronto
supermensa.org
Looks like they'll be KHL-bound next year

HC "Donbass" prepares for the KHL!

On Saturday evening the President of Hockey Club "Donbass" Boris Kolesnikov in an exclusive interview to TV channel "Hockey" stated that regardless of the result, shown in the first team this season in the highest Hockey League in Russia, the Club is preparing for membership in the Continental Hockey League for season 2012/1013 Gg.
http://hcdonbass.com/home/news/news/16882?lang=ru

smitty10

Aug 6, 2009
Toronto
Looks like they'll be KHL-bound next year

Wow this is great for Ukraine. Will there be a team moving up to the VHL to replace them? And will an MHL team be created as well? This will be huge in helping the development of Ukraine and in retaining players for the National Team.

Sokil

Ukraine Specialitsky
Apr 29, 2010
Toronto
supermensa.org
I don't see why they would want to make a new team for the VHL. Haven't heard any other news yet, even the channel's site doesn't offer specifics on the interview itself....and I wait!

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
and will an MHL team be created as well?
I am almost sure that yes, it will. According to my knowledge, this newcomer should play MHL B (2nd tier) website here http://mhl2.khl.ru/

Swede Jim Brithen works for Donbass hockey school

ozo

Feb 24, 2010
This will be huge in helping the development of Ukraine and in retaining players for the National Team.

There's not a lot if anything to retain currently. In long term, absolutely.

I am almost sure that yes, it will. According to my knowledge, this newcomer should play MHL B (2nd tier) website here http://mhl2.khl.ru/

Swede Jim Brithen works for Donbass hockey school

I read somewhere that MHL side won't be playing in MHL system next year already, firstly because there's not enough talant currently to fill the roster. And Brithen successfully works with younger kids, not sure he should be a part of a potential MHL team

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
I read somewhere that MHL side won't be playing in MHL system next year already, firstly because there's not enough talant currently to fill the roster. And Brithen successfully works with younger kids, not sure he should be a part of a potential MHL team
maybe you are right. I just read that Donbass want to join MHL for season 2012/13, but I read it a few months ago. Plans can be changed. Btw, director of Energie Karlovy Vary said that Ukraine team will play MHL next season, he did not say if MHL A or B. Energie wants to join MHL this summer. He can have wrong informations (I would not be suprised) or has more detail info. Lets wait until summer.

to Brithen, yes he works with 1998 born kids as I read it at website. Mentioning his name I did not want to say he will work with Donbass MHL team. I pointed out that Donbass tries to do something with kids development.

finchster

Jul 12, 2006
Antalya
Ozo, I remember in another thread you stated how players with dual citizenship (Russian and Ukrainian/Belarussian/Kazakh etc) were not considered domestics unless they stopped playing internationally for their oringinal countries. However, recently Belarusians and Kazakh’s were made exempt of foreigner limit. If having a KHL team enables Ukrainians to be exempt from the foreigner limit, that would be the most important step to setting Ukrainian hockey back on track IMO.

ozo

Feb 24, 2010
Ozo, I remember in another thread you stated how players with dual citizenship (Russian and Ukrainian/Belarussian/Kazakh etc) were not considered domestics unless they stopped playing internationally for their oringinal countries. However, recently Belarusians and Kazakh’s were made exempt of foreigner limit. If having a KHL team enables Ukrainians to be exempt from the foreigner limit, that would be the most important step to setting Ukrainian hockey back on track IMO.

It would be nice, but frankly speaking how many still NT eligible Ukrainians currently are playing in KHL? Razin? Anyone else? There could be few more potential KHL-ers on Donbass roster, but that's it. The most import thing currently is to have more clubs with hockey pyramids like Donbass and Berkut have so that talanted kids wouldn't have to leave Ukraine at very early stages (Though I do think, that Kiev absolutely must have a KHL franchise).

finchster

Jul 12, 2006
Antalya
True, however I was thinking more in a sense of opportunities for younger players. If Ukrainians do not count as foreigners then players will not be putting their club careers at risk playing internationally for Ukraine. It would be easier to get players to commit to their national program if that is the case.

Sokil

Ukraine Specialitsky
Apr 29, 2010
Toronto
supermensa.org
http://www.hcdonbass.com/home/news/news/16997?lang=uk

rough google trans
Today Vice Prime Minister of Ukraine Borys Kolesnikov called and said they were going to apply "Donbass". This means that they decided to build a multipurpose arena that will be put up in 2015. Given the reconstruction of the arena, although they and not "dragged" her to 5500 seats, but, nevertheless, the vote may be exempted if we see that all decisions on funding taken. We remember how they built the first-class "Donbass Arena" for soccer "Shakhtar" - the more there will be the same European Basketball Championship in 2015, so the arena will surely be built, and there is no risk. " source: "Sovetsky Sport"

Sokil

Ukraine Specialitsky
Apr 29, 2010
Toronto
supermensa.org
True, however I was thinking more in a sense of opportunities for younger players. If Ukrainians do not count as foreigners then players will not be putting their club careers at risk playing internationally for Ukraine. It would be easier to get players to commit to their national program if that is the case.

yes. this is a big step in the long term.

Sokil

Ukraine Specialitsky
Apr 29, 2010
Toronto
supermensa.org
http://en.ria.ru/sports/20120410/172719398.html

Ukrainian champion Donbass Donetsk is to be admitted to the KHL, the hockey league's president Alexander Medvedev said Tuesday.
There was no timeframe indicated, but if the team is registered for next season's competition it would take the potential number of new faces to five.
That would mark a significant step forward in the KHL's quest to expand the Russian-centered league across the continent.
Donbass's Ice Palace Druzhba is a low-capacity arena at 4,500 seats, falling short of KHL requirement of 10,000, but Medvedev said the league was willing to turn a blind eye for now.
"Donbass will play as an exception, the arena hasn't been upgraded by 5,500 seats yet," he said.
Donbass is the only Ukrainian team to play in the Russian Major League after splitting with their affiliate, HC Donbass-2 following the 2010-11 season.
Meanwhile, the KHL will also have representation from Slovakia and the Czech Republic as Medvedev confirmed the participation of powerhouse Slovan Bratislava and Lev Poprad.
Poprad is a town in Slovakia but Lev is moving to a new arena in Prague after reaching an agreement with the Czech Ice Hockey Federation.
"Lev of Prague will definitely play, and Slovan will definitely play," Medvedev said.
The fate of two other teams negotiating entry into the KHL was unclear.
The Milano Rossoblu hockey club told RIA Novosti in March that it would make a final decision in April on whether to join the KHL.
The long-mooted addition of the Italians, from the second-tier Serie B, hangs on their financial security, and president Ico Migliore said he was loathed to enter his club next season without guarantees it can remain long term.
"Milan really wants to come in, but a lot of things need to be cleared up," Medvedev said.
HK Poprad, another team from the northern Slovak spa town, had been bidding to enter but reportedly had trouble providing guarantees of financial stability. Medvedev made no mention of the team.

whats this rubbish about 10k minimum? most teams have 5k

smitty10

Aug 6, 2009
Toronto
It would be nice, but frankly speaking how many still NT eligible Ukrainians currently are playing in KHL? Razin? Anyone else? There could be few more potential KHL-ers on Donbass roster, but that's it. The most import thing currently is to have more clubs with hockey pyramids like Donbass and Berkut have so that talanted kids wouldn't have to leave Ukraine at very early stages (Though I do think, that Kiev absolutely must have a KHL franchise).

Sergei Gaiduchenko is eligible and may play now that he won't be counted as a foreigner and Andrei Mikhnov plays in the KHL I believe.

Purple hippo

Jan 3, 2010
Louvain-la-Neuve
http://en.ria.ru/sports/20120410/172719398.html

whats this rubbish about 10k minimum? most teams have 5k

KHL now has requirements regarding clubs wishing to join the league or building a new arena.

here
Статья 2. Количество индивидуальных зрительских мест на спортсооружениях
1. Количество индивидуальных зрительских мест на спортсооружении должно со-
ставлять не менее 5500 (пяти тысяч пятисот).
2. Клубам, которые базируются в городах с населением менее 100 000 (ста тысяч)
человек, разрешается проведение матчей Чемпионата на спортсооружениях менее
5500 зрительских мест, но не менее 2500, в полном объеме отвечающих остальным
требованиям к спортсооружениям, предъявляемым настоящим Регламентом.
1. Проект нового спортсооружения, планируемого для проведения матчей Чемпионата,
кроме упомянутых выше требований Технического Регламента, должен предусма-
тривать следующее:
1.1. Количество индивидуальных зрительских мест – не менее 12 000 в городах с
населением более 500 000 человек. Для городов с населением до 500 000 человек
количество индивидуальных зрительских мест – не менее 9 000. Для городов,
в которых базируются два и более Клуба, участвующих в Чемпионате КХЛ,
количество индивидуальных зрительских мест – не менее 9 000;

ozo

Feb 24, 2010
Sergei Gaiduchenko is eligible and may play now that he won't be counted as a foreigner and Andrei Mikhnov plays in the KHL I believe.

There's no guarantee that bolded part is happening, and Andrei Mikhnov is Russian capped, he would require four consecutive seasons played in Ukraine to become Ukrainian eligible again (as would Shvidki, Zherdev, Babchuk if they wished to play for Ukraine).

smitty10

Aug 6, 2009
Toronto
There's no guarantee that bolded part is happening, and Andrei Mikhnov is Russian capped, he would require four consecutive seasons played in Ukraine to become Ukrainian eligible again (as would Shvidki, Zherdev, Babchuk if they wished to play for Ukraine).

I believe you're thinking of his older brother, Alexei. Andrei has represented Ukraine as recently as last year I believe.

Sokil

Ukraine Specialitsky
Apr 29, 2010
Toronto
supermensa.org
Well good thing we all know the rules can be bent. They are more like guidelines.

Yeah. In Donetsk's case, it's a guarantee that they'll be making a bigger arena for hockey & basketball, so I guess the KHL feels safe that they'll follow through.

Other teams with less security would want things up front.

Of course, watch the POR get decimated in the next parliamentary elections (unless they rig it massively) and should the POR lose the presidency then Donbas' owner could get run out of town (again)

Xokkeu

Apr 5, 2012
Frozen
Yeah. In Donetsk's case, it's a guarantee that they'll be making a bigger arena for hockey & basketball, so I guess the KHL feels safe that they'll follow through.

Other teams with less security would want things up front.

Of course, watch the POR get decimated in the next parliamentary elections (unless they rig it massively) and should the POR lose the presidency then Donbas' owner could get run out of town (again)

You think the POR is in any trouble in the Donetsk region? I think they are safe even if power changes in Kiev. It's almost their personal fiefdom.

Not to change this to a political discussion but it does involve the hockey team. Akmetov hasn't been swept away despite changes in political winds. I think the current Donetsk oligarchs are fairly safe and secure in the Donbass with their wealth and relative power.

Sokil

Ukraine Specialitsky
Apr 29, 2010
Toronto
supermensa.org
Before the POR got re-elected in '10, Akhmetov had to flee the country to Monaco and Kolesnikov was rung up on extortion/assassination conspiracy charges.

If Tymoshenko can't be kept safe from the POR, the other side is equally as in trouble if a power shift occurs again (though if that'll happen is anyone's guess, they're becoming pretty entrenched despite no popular support)

Xokkeu

Apr 5, 2012
Frozen
Before the POR got re-elected in '10, Akhmetov had to flee the country to Monaco and Kolesnikov was rung up on extortion/assassination conspiracy charges.

If Tymoshenko can't be kept safe from the POR, the other side is equally as in trouble if a power shift occurs again (though if that'll happen is anyone's guess, they're becoming pretty entrenched despite no popular support)

You are right that the Tymoshenko case sets a bad precedent for whoever loses the next election. Although I seem to feel that that wouldn't be able to get past the front man of Yanukovich and that Akhmetov and the Donetsk clan would generally remain untouched, like many of Tymoshenko's people in Dnipro.

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
guys, seems you know ukraine very well, it is logical. Could you pls answer these Qs?

1.who is owner of Donbass? Only Kolesnikov or Akhmetov as well? I googled and I found out Akhmetov is owner of Shakhtar and Kolesnikov is vicepresident of Shakhtar or so. Seems they are friends. Are both involved in Donbass?

2.POR - I suppose it is a political party. Which one? I dont know the abbreviation.

Sokil

Ukraine Specialitsky
Apr 29, 2010
Toronto
supermensa.org
guys, seems you know ukraine very well, it is logical. Could you pls answer these Qs?

1.who is owner of Donbass? Only Kolesnikov or Akhmetov as well? I googled and I found out Akhmetov is owner of Shakhtar and Kolesnikov is vicepresident of Shakhtar or so. Seems they are friends. Are both involved in Donbass?

2.POR - I suppose it is a political party. Which one? I dont know the abbreviation.

1. Just Kolesnikov; Akhmetov is just a friend/associate who runs in the same mafia / boys club. Akhmetov has no involvement in HCD.

2. Party of Regions

Xokkeu

Apr 5, 2012
Frozen
Sorry Vorky, I just use Akmetov's name as a catch all for the Donetsk group of very rich and powerful people. He's simply the richest of that group. But yes they are all friends and allies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad