OT: HBoards Migration to Xenforo Software

Status
Not open for further replies.

NHL1674

Whatever...
Sponsor
Aug 8, 2008
Minnesota
I'd usually get lost when trying to get to my avatar or profile to edit. Kind of like how hovering the cursor over our username/avatar at the top right of each page quickly pops up with an index for all areas that we can change.

Wait a minute.....we weren't able to delete our own posts before, right? Only the mods could do it. Looks like we may have that option now.

Reactions: TaLoN

Minnesnota

Apr 20, 2017
Denver
Well.

I still favor vBulletin. Things appeared much tidier and organized than this forum software.

Hopefully they introduce a new skin that is stylized to not make my eyes bleed.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Does this mean no more need to end threads once they've reached 1000 posts? I'm on a couple of other forums using this format, they have threads that are in the tens of thousands of posts in length, thousands of pages.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
It would be nice to have a signifier for a thread when you've posted a reply in it...
ie - in other forums I post in with this format, they will show your avatar, smaller, lower and offset slightly to the right in front of the avatar of the thread originator.

Sharppi

4 more years of Dub.
Jul 15, 2011
Finland
First thoughts after 5 minutes of use:
  • Color scheme is absolutely horrible and makes my eyes bleed.
  • Formatting options are handier.
  • It's hard to separate posts from another.
  • It's really hard separate topics in forum with whatever prefix they do have.
  • Feels like this board software emphasizes image usage a lot. On text-based forums, I think that's odd.

Lapa

Global Moderator
Feb 21, 2010
@StealthClobber - I notice your signature is no longer animated... if this new setup doesn't allow animated avatar images, that will put an abrupt end to what has been a fun tradition on HFboards...

Anyone having an issue with their avatars, try uploading your avatar again. Gif avatars should still work.

Minnesota

L'Etoile du Nord
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2011
Does this mean no more need to end threads once they've reached 1000 posts? I'm on a couple of other forums using this format, they have threads that are in the tens of thousands of posts in length, thousands of pages.

That's correct. We'll see if that tradition still carries over.

Technically, there was a server upgrade back when we still used vBulletin that allowed for threads to go over 1,000 posts. We had other reasons to close most threads at 1K, though.

StealthClobber

A Digital Frontier.
Feb 7, 2013
Minnetonka, MN
@StealthClobber - I notice your signature is no longer animated... if this new setup doesn't allow animated avatar images, that will put an abrupt end to what has been a fun tradition on HFboards...
I just haven't been on since the change.

The avatar editor now recommends an image size of at least 200x200 pixels, and doesn't say anything about a file size limit.

gphr513

Watch the world burn
Jan 14, 2014
Minneapolis, MN
I just haven't been on since the change.

The avatar editor now recommends an image size of at least 200x200 pixels, and doesn't say anything about a file size limit.
Higher quality gifs, for playoff avatars?

tumblr_nwbs9xppPt1ruza0go1_250.gif

StealthClobber

A Digital Frontier.
Feb 7, 2013
Minnetonka, MN
Higher quality gifs, for playoff avatars?

Maybe not. I'm trying to upload a 1MB higher frame rate version of my current avatar, and the uploader is just stalled. Has been stalled for the past 5 minutes. I'm starting to think there is a hidden limit.

I also don't like how small the avatars scale down to with normal board viewing. I mean christ they showed up actual size on the old forums.

StealthClobber

A Digital Frontier.
Feb 7, 2013
Minnetonka, MN
h24SJ2O.png

Yep. I officially hate this new board already.

On the one side, if the 100kb limit spreads to everyone now instead of just sponsors, it's a little easier for playoff avatars, but...

100KB?? WHAT EXACTLY DID WE UPGRADE HERE HF?

HollaHaula

Cynical Wild fan
Jul 28, 2015
I love the new website. The pages load much faster and Google Chrome's AdBlock actually works. You guys have just been here for too long :)

Vashanesh

Nope.
Jan 29, 2010
Minnesota
So no one sees an option to tone down this awful white background?

Guess I'm going on a vacation from the boards until it's fixed, this flat out hurts my eyes to look at.

Lapa

Global Moderator
Feb 21, 2010
So no one sees an option to tone down this awful white background?

Guess I'm going on a vacation from the boards until it's fixed, this flat out hurts my eyes to look at.

The option is listed in the Preferences section to change the theme, but there is no other theme yet. I would guess that at some point we will receive more options.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad