TV: HBO: Euphoria

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
Just watched it. Suprised there wasnt a thread on it considering all the backlash it got before it aired for being too risky.

Wowzers.

Dem kids are f***ed up.

Last edited by a moderator:

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
Just watched it. Suprised there wasnt a thread on it considering all the backlash it got before it aired for being too risky.
What's so risky/controversial about it?

Looking at the trailer it doesn't seem like something I'd be that interested in but I may check it out. Cool to see Hunter Schafer in this, heard about her through her modeling last year, had no idea she was going through the acting route. Seems like a huge role for the first time acting.

SouthGeorge

May 2, 2018
It's like a more realistic/raw Project X. Outside of that one scene in question and apparently it gets even tougher as the season goes on. Outside of that one scene seems like a pretty real depiction of most high schools.

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
What's so risky/controversial about it?

Looking at the trailer it doesn't seem like something I'd be that interested in but I may check it out. Cool to see Hunter Schafer in this, heard about her through her modeling last year, had no idea she was going through the acting route. Seems like a huge role for the first time acting.

It’s about teens and some very heavy drug use and sexual situations (possibility a statutory rape situation in the first ep, not sure how old she is) I understand its just entertainment but you know the moms of the world are all up in arms over it.

Reactions: Trap Jesus

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
I watched it and thought it was fine, I'll keep with it. They threw a lot at you very quickly, and that was clearly by design. The season is only 6 episodes, so they're going to race through a lot of stuff, whatever is more important they need to let marinate as opposed to just putting out there just to go there. These other characters have a backstory, we should hopefully find out what it is.

McOilers97

Jan 10, 2012
I watched it and thought it was fine, I'll keep with it. They threw a lot at you very quickly, and that was clearly by design. The season is only 6 episodes, so they're going to race through a lot of stuff, whatever is more important they need to let marinate as opposed to just putting out there just to go there. These other characters have a backstory, we should hopefully find out what it is.

8 episodes.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
It seems to me like a show that exists to be shocking in order to attract attention (viewers, media and accolades) while hiding behind the defense that it's "realistic." That's as far as I'll go in terms of judging it, though, since I haven't seen it.

For those curious about what, specifically, the show depicts, I found a user review that roughly summarizes the first episode:
Really now,
when did we start considering watching a 14-year old-looking girl in a pinafore dress and fishnet stockings who rides her bike to a cheap motel and gets raped by a dad of another teenager entertainment?

But no, she is really a he taking hormone shots so therefore we must embrace as HBO version of PRIDE right?

Then there’s the nerdy glasses wearing teen “body conscious” aka large girl (another paper mache’ cliche) discussing her bravery for oral sex while two eager even younger (grade school?) boys wearing braces watch on eagerly.

Later she leaves the room happy and hugging her friend, “I’ve lost my virginity.” smiley face!

All this at one party?

When the crazed jock (complete cliche character) watches his horny girlfriend have sex in front of the entire “party” to make him jealous, he verbally attacks the child-dressed trans character.

You know, the same one who just got raped at the motel (who rides bike to the party right after like nothing happened).

The trans character then slices herself with a knife in front of everyone at the “party” for attention.

Drunken jock stumbles home and camera pans in on his family portrait. Jock’s dad is the guy that met Trans at motel that night.

Ehhh!

No, we don’t need this “entertainment.”

HBO is just exploiting vulnerable teen situations such as body image, drug dependence, sexual confusion and perverting it by glossing it as entertainment and giving the characters no guidance, hope or love.

Degrading to real teens who are smarter and more multi-layered than these cardboard made for tv characters.

This is not a documentary.

Again, these actors may be over 18 but their characters are presented to be nude minors having sex.

So enjoy your Sunday night hour of creepiness!
I fall on her side of the fence (regarding what's entertaining to watch), so I strongly suspect that this show isn't for me.

Last edited:

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
It seems to me like a show that exists to be shocking in order to attract attention (viewers, media and end of year awards) while hiding behind the defense that it's "realistic." That's as far as I'll go in terms of judging it, since I haven't seen it. I can judge that it doesn't appear to be my cup of tea, though.

For those curious about what, specifically, the show depicts, I found a user review that roughly summarizes the first episode:

I fall on her side of the fence, so I know that this show isn't for me.
giphy.gif

Reactions: Zeppo

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005

[Edit: Big misinterpretation to follow] I don't really appreciate this. Do you have a more thoughtful response that you can give so that I can understand what your point is and defend or clarify mine?

Last edited:

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
I don't really appreciate this. Do you have a more respectful and mature response that you can give so that I can understand what your point is and defend or clarify mine?
If anything it was in support of yours. It was a reaction to what I read. That sounds horribly exploitative and reliant on manufactured emotion through shock. It's one thing to have multiple story threads interweave because of a rape (Big Little Lies). It's quite another to write a plot that seems to just try to cram in as many traumatic/harrowing experiences into a story as possible.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
If anything it was in support of yours. It was a reaction to what I read. That sounds horribly exploitative and reliant on manufactured emotion through shock. It's one thing to have multiple story threads interweave because of a rape (Big Little Lies). It's quite another to write a plot that seems to just try to cram in as many traumatic/harrowing experiences into a story as possible.

Oh. I took offense because I interpreted you to be wincing at and mocking me for being a prude, not wincing at the summary of the show (which didn't make it into your quote). My mistake.

Yes, in several of the reviews that I've read, it's been mentioned that there isn't much of a plot (at least so far) and that it's mostly just a string of explicit scenes. You mentioned Big Little Lies (which I have seen) and it does seem to me like this limited series was inspired by that one; i.e. instead of interconnected stories of parents behaving badly, it's interconnected stories of teens behaving badly. As you alluded to, though, the rape and domestic abuse in Big Little Lies are essential parts of the plot and not gratuitous (in fact, I don't think that the rape is even really shown).

Last edited:

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Oh. I took offense because I interpreted you to be wincing at and mocking me for being a prude, not wincing at the summary of the show (which didn't make it into your quote). My mistake.

Yes, in several of the reviews that I've read, it's been mentioned that there isn't much of a plot (at least so far) and that it's mostly just a string of explicit scenes. You mentioned Big Little Lies (which I have seen) and it does seem to me like this limited series was inspired by that one; i.e. instead of interconnected stories of parents behaving badly, it's interconnected stories of teens behaving badly. As you alluded to, though, the rape and domestic abuse in Big Little Lies are essential parts of the plot and not gratuitous (in fact, I don't think that the rape is even really shown).
No worries

SouthGeorge

May 2, 2018
It seems to me like a show that exists to be shocking in order to attract attention (viewers, media and accolades) while hiding behind the defense that it's "realistic."

What was unrealistic about the 1st episode?

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
I watched it the other day. It wasn't as bad as I feared, though that could've largely been because I knew what to expect and because none of the actors looked like teenagers, much less high schoolers. I still didn't like it, though. The subject matter isn't my cup of tea at all.

What was unrealistic about the 1st episode?

I wasn't really saying that it was unrealistic. I was suggesting that everything in it being familiar (or "realistic") to at least some people seems like an excuse to make a more shocking show. There's a fine line between realistic and exploitative, IMO.

Last edited:

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Sort of got a slower pace with the the second episode, far less going on, and doing some backstory which was definitely needed. It seems like the way they format, which is interesting, is that the start of the episode is someone's backstory, the touch on some of the other things happening, the obviously tough on Rue and her stuff, and then they set up a story with another character where their backstory starts the next episode.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
I'd say last night's episode was a little too gratuitous

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
It doesn't bother me if there is a penis on the screen. What I take issue with in that is that theoretically we're looking at a bunch from people who are under 18 years old, which is like...what? No, don't do that.

The scene with Kat skyping with the dude, I can understand body positivism, but that was far too gratuitous. What was the point other than to be shocking and disgusting on purpose? That guy not an important person on the show, he doesn't need to be shown doing that. You're just watering it down for something else that actually is important and heavy. Also I did turn away since I do have limits.

JetsWillFly4Ever

PLAY EHLERS 20 MIN A NIGHT
May 21, 2011
Winnipeg MB.
Yeah the amount of dick on this show is a little outrageous, the scene with the dude on Skype was pretty messed up. Nobody needed to see that, Jesus.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad