HBO 24/7 to debut December 14 on Sportsnet

Phelan

Jan 31, 2005
Toronto, Ontario
Thanks for the link, I've been trying to find info lately. I wonder if HBO's and Sportsnet's will be different, editing for language? I hope HBO doesn't change how they do it for Sportsnet's sake.

leafsfuture

Mar 30, 2008
Thanks for the link, I've been trying to find info lately. I wonder if HBO's and Sportsnet's will be different, editing for language? I hope HBO doesn't change how they do it for Sportsnet's sake.

Sportsnet will blur out the swearing.

Usually HBO uploads the episodes on youtube anyway the next day.

TootooTrain

Sandpaper
Jun 12, 2010
Does it just follow them through the winter classic or does it continue all season?

It only covers up to the winter classic I believe.

There's no way. They're military like in terms of upholding the copyright laws for their shows. Was this done in previous years?

Kessley Snipes*

There's no way. They're military like in terms of upholding the copyright laws for their shows. Was this done in previous years?

I dont know if HBO did it, but I managed to find the other series on the internet (including youtube) with no issues.

BonMorrison

Jun 17, 2011
Toronto, ON
If you don't have HBO (and don't want to stream it live online), just wait a day and download it. It's more worth it - Sportsnet will edit out swears and maybe even content as they have to fill commercial time while HBO does not.

leafsfuture

Mar 30, 2008

HBO knows that they get way more exposure in terms of ppl ordering their channel if they let shows like this online. Look at the boxing 24/7's, you can find them all on youtube.

Its also why HBO hasnt been more agressive in countering pirating of Game of Thrones... because they know that the more ppl pirate the show, at some point certain groups of ppl will just buy the channel

Remuskokafication

Jul 7, 2008
Scarborough
If sportsnet is going to pay someone to edit the swearing they should deal with the horrible misuse of "scores" too.

I.e. "Ovechkin got 2 scores in the 2nd period to tie the game"

Brutal HBO

Yosho

Logic
Mar 30, 2010
Kitchener, ON

No, it wasn't HBO. It was a private user who had the episodes private (link, only).

rojac

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2007
Waterloo, ON
If sportsnet is going to pay someone to edit the swearing they should deal with the horrible misuse of "scores" too.

I.e. "Ovechkin got 2 scores in the 2nd period to tie the game"

Brutal HBO

I don't care for that usage either; however, it is one that I have heard off and on since I was a child.

rojac

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2007
Waterloo, ON
So Sportsnet will always play it one day later?

Given that HBO is airing it Saturday nights when Leafs fans in Canada will be watching the Leafs, it's not surprising that Sportsnet chose to run it a different night.

Incidentally, I hope that people with HBO Canada are not expecting to see it there. I believe that Sportsnet has exclusive Canadian rights.

And if Sportsnet does bleep the swearing, does it make that much of a difference? You have to be pretty stupid to not know what is being said under the beep.

BonMorrison

Jun 17, 2011
Toronto, ON
And if Sportsnet does bleep the swearing, does it make that much of a difference? You have to be pretty stupid to not know what is being said under the beep.

Not 100% sure but Sportsnet will likely edit content as well because they have to edit for commercial time while HBO doesn't have that issue.

LeafOfBread

Feb 25, 2010
Mississauga, ON
Not 100% sure but Sportsnet will likely edit content as well because they have to edit for commercial time while HBO doesn't have that issue.

They definitely will. Whenever HBO shows get shown on other channels (like Curb Your Enthusiasm on Fox) they always cut out 8-15 minutes worth of content depending on the length of the show.

wulfio*

If you don't have HBO (and don't want to stream it live online), just wait a day and download it. It's more worth it - Sportsnet will edit out swears and maybe even content as they have to fill commercial time while HBO does not.

You dont even have to wait a day. Just wait 30 minutes after it's been aired on HBO, and download an HDTV version of the episode off torrents. That's how I watch Game of Thrones.

BonMorrison

Jun 17, 2011
Toronto, ON
You dont even have to wait a day. Just wait 30 minutes after it's been aired on HBO, and download an HDTV version of the episode off torrents. That's how I watch Game of Thrones.

Well yeah, I do the same. I was just assuming because of the smaller viewership, it would take longer to upload online.

rojac

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2007
Waterloo, ON

Or maybe they'll show it in a 90 minute slot.

Or maybe because it is being made to air on both, the episodes will edited to a shorter length.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad