Proposal: Hayes / Faulk

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
Where is Faulk going to play on the Rangers? They have ADA, Pionk, Shattenkirk on RD, along with Smith who can/has played RD for them. I assume they are going to give the first two a shot at the NHL although they could send Pionk down without waivers but he showed some promise at the NHL level last year. I don't think they are moving Shattenkirk. (yet if they could get a good return they probably should in my opinion) ADA is a question mark I think, but a rebuilding team should probably find out what they have there before they go another direction.

As far as value, I'd guess 1 for 1 is pretty close even with Faulk having a 2nd year, Hayes seems to be on an upswing to a point, he showed he was not bad at being a good match-up center who still was able to provide some offense last year, but I'm not sure I see the Rangers adding in a RD unless they are subtracting one, and it would leave them needing some center among their prospect pool to really step up.

Faulk I have not followed much for the past couple years but he seems to have been overtaken by several defenders, not sure if that is just circumstance or if he is having some sort of difficulty, maybe a little of both?

I'd probably rather see the Rangers keep Hayes, use him until nearer to the deadline, see what the returns could be, see what it would take in an extension, then see them make a more informed choice. Rangers risk injury, as does Hayes given this is his contract year, but that is true for any pending free agent.

Lindberg Cheese

Apr 28, 2013
Cambodia
Where is Faulk going to play on the Rangers? They have ADA, Pionk, Shattenkirk on RD, along with Smith who can/has played RD for them. I assume they are going to give the first two a shot at the NHL although they could send Pionk down without waivers but he showed some promise at the NHL level last year. I don't think they are moving Shattenkirk. (yet if they could get a good return they probably should in my opinion) ADA is a question mark I think, but a rebuilding team should probably find out what they have there before they go another direction.

As far as value, I'd guess 1 for 1 is pretty close even with Faulk having a 2nd year, Hayes seems to be on an upswing to a point, he showed he was not bad at being a good match-up center who still was able to provide some offense last year, but I'm not sure I see the Rangers adding in a RD unless they are subtracting one, and it would leave them needing some center among their prospect pool to really step up.

Faulk I have not followed much for the past couple years but he seems to have been overtaken by several defenders, not sure if that is just circumstance or if he is having some sort of difficulty, maybe a little of both?

I'd probably rather see the Rangers keep Hayes, use him until nearer to the deadline, see what the returns could be, see what it would take in an extension, then see them make a more informed choice. Rangers risk injury, as does Hayes given this is his contract year, but that is true for any pending free agent.

I’d like to see this
Skjei Faulk
Smith Shatty
Staal Pionk

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
I’d like to see this
Skjei Faulk
Smith Shatty
Staal Pionk

What happens to ADA?

I mean, I am not convinced in him and am not making any debate that he is going to make it, but I doubt his trade value is much, so shouldn't they try to see what can come from that?

tradenashnow

Feb 17, 2018
Hayes/Faulk - Possible? What are adds if any?

No on every level from the Rangers. We already have an offensive defenseman who is average at best defensively in Shattenkirk. We don't need another one making a nice salary. Pionk deserves a full season and they just spent a first rounder on a righty defenseman who is very mature already in his game. Rangers need young wingers. Not more defenseman. I can't grasp why our fan base doesn't understand this. Anybody calling Faulk a top defense pair in this league must watch games with their eyes closed. He was awful last year and the Canes have been shopping him for 2 seasons trying to find some sucker out there. Faulk was easily one of the worst defensive defenseman I saw play games last year. Shattenkirk wasn't much better. At least he had an excuse. He played all year hurt and had to shut it down.

Last edited:

Kakko Schmakko

Feb 24, 2018
makes no sense for the Rangers. Hurricanes are tanking, so doesn't make much sense for them either.

Kakko Schmakko

Feb 24, 2018
Rangers add easy... Hayes is great but, Top RHD are a premium compared to shutdown playmaker centers, The Rangers would have to add some sort of prospect and pick

Hurricanes
-Hayes
-Day
-4th

Rangers
-Faulk

HAHAHA, only if Marc Staal is added as well.

NYR713

Jun 26, 2012

Top pairing, RD with Skjei on the left. They start there and figure the rest out.

Maybe ADA can go off in a trade, paired up with a more valuable asset to get a better "quality" return prospect, pick and/or young player. (Most likely)
Or they keep him and if he proves he's a better option than Pionk or Shattenkirk in the 4 spots behind Faulk, and one of them get traded. (Least likely)
Or they keep him and he spends a career in the AHL while bouncing up for injury replacements. (Adam Clendening style - Very likely)

Point is, ADA should never even be a thought in anyone's head when thinking of a trade for Faulk. He's irrelevant to the situation.

I would be all over a Hayes+ for Faulk swap as long as Rangers are confident they could get an extension signed after the 2nd year. NYR spend the next season figuring out how to ditch Staal and Smith and get the young guns up for the final month or so for experience.

NYR go into 19-20 season with:
Skjei - Faulk
Hajek - Shatty
Lindgren - Pionk

Miller and Lundkvist developing behind them for near future push as well.

tradenashnow

Feb 17, 2018
Don't make the same stupid mistake the Rangers did with Yandle. You don't trade for bad defensive, defenseman.

Kupo

MAFIA, MOUNT UP!
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Stamford CT
Then don't trade for Faulk.
Did I suggest we should.....?

No.. No I didn't.

giphy.gif

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
Why would NYR want Faulk? He's been on a downward trajectory, isn't a young player, and they're openly rebuilding.

If his numbers bounce back, he'll be worth more than Hayes in a trade, considering the extra year of term on his contract. It's not a high risk gamble; Faulk's shooting percentage in 17-18 was about half of what it was over the prior three seasons.

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
If his numbers bounce back, he'll be worth more than Hayes in a trade, considering the extra year of term on his contract. It's not a high risk gamble; Faulk's shooting percentage in 17-18 was about half of what it was over the prior three seasons.
Eh, I'd rather have Hayes to insulate our top prospects who are also centers than throw them to the wolves to have a d-man we don't really need.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad