Proposal: Hayes / Faulk

The S5

Jul 27, 2017
Life long Ranger fan and now also a fan of hometown team Hurricanes, I would think the Canes would have to add.
I would think one of the defensive prospects would work...Bean, Fox

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
Life long Ranger fan and now also a fan of hometown team Hurricanes, I would think the Canes would have to add.
I would think one of the defensive prospects would work...Bean, Fox

7 cost-controlled years of Bean or Fox is worth significantly more than a rental Hayes. That is without including Faulk.

I think a straight swap is workable. I’d like to see NYR add a bit for 1 year vs 2 but it isn’t a dealbreaker.

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013
I think a 1-1 deal makes sense.

The insane notion that CAR add a 1st plus Fox/Bean that was posted a few days ago in one of the other Hayes threads makes absolutely no sense for CAR.

Edit-Faulty memory on my part- the post referred to above was not for Faulk ++, but for additional assets that would absolutely make no sense for CAR to give up.

Last edited:

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
I think a 1-1 deal makes sense.

The insane notion that CAR add a 1st plus Fox/Bean that was posted a few days ago in one of the other Hayes threads makes absolutely no sense for CAR.

Really? Faulk, PLUS a 1st, PLUS Bean/Fox for 1 year of Hayes was proposed? Sheesh.

With Darling / Mrazek and the youngest team in the NHL, the Canes could very well be drafting in the top 5 again. Wouldn't trade the Canes 1st alone for 1 year of Hayes much less add more on top of it. At the deadline, when the Canes know where they stand, it may be a different story.

Reactions: Unsustainable

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
196111.jpg

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013
Really? Faulk, PLUS a 1st, PLUS Bean/Fox for 1 year of Hayes was proposed? Sheesh.

With Darling / Mrazek and the youngest team in the NHL, the Canes could very well be drafting in the top 5 again. Wouldn't trade the Canes 1st alone for 1 year of Hayes much less add more on top of it. At the deadline, when the Canes know where they stand, it may be a different story.

My apologies, it wasn’t Faulk +. Here’s the proposal: (I’ve edited my post above)

“min.: unprotected Car 2019 1st + McKeown + unsigned Fox's rights as a throw in [remember, he's going educational route, not directly to pros, and is a risk to be lost for nothing].
More if competitive bids drive up cost”

That’s a very unrealistic ask just the same for 1 year of Hayes.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
My apologies, it wasn’t Faulk +. Here’s the proposal:

min.: unprotected Car 2019 1st + McKeown + unsigned Fox's rights as a throw in [remember, he's going educational route, not directly to pros, and is a risk to be lost for nothing].
More if competitive bids drive up c

Ah...ok. Regardless, the unprotected 1st is a completely no-go in my book. As I stated, that could easily be a top 5 pick and Hayes is a UFA in 1 year.

Reactions: Unsustainable

FoxysExpensiveNYDigs

Boo Nieves Truther
Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
My apologies, it wasn’t Faulk +. Here’s the proposal: (I’ve edited my post above)

“min.: unprotected Car 2019 1st + McKeown + unsigned Fox's rights as a throw in [remember, he's going educational route, not directly to pros, and is a risk to be lost for nothing].

The S5

Jul 27, 2017
7 cost-controlled years of Bean or Fox is worth significantly more than a rental Hayes. That is without including Faulk.

I think a straight swap is workable. I’d like to see NYR add a bit for 1 year vs 2 but it isn’t a dealbreaker.
The idea would be that the Canes could sign Hayes to a longer term contract.
At this stage, Hayes is a better player than Faulk. It could be argued that he is much better. Adding a player that might not have a place to play with the Canes isn't too much to ask. Fox isn't even signed. Bean might be a different story.
With that being said, I don't see Hayes coming to Carolina. I thing he moves in a trade deadline deal.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
As an outsider, I don’t see why Carolina would do a 1 for 1 swap unless it’s agreed upon that Hayes would sign an extension. I would think Carolina could get more team control of the players in another offer from someone else.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
At this stage, Hayes is a better player than Faulk. It could be argued that he is much better.

That idea is usually a fan idea. Currently, he's a UFA in one year and the Canes would need to value him at that. He's not likely to sign a long term extension in Carolina unless they agree to over-pay him, or he/his agent will just go the UFA route for top dollar. Carolina isn't exactly a destination for players right now.

Faulk had a down year, no doubt, but the 3 prior seasons, he and Hayes scored the same number of goals (48) and they both have the same career high in points (49). I get that Hayes is a C with good size, but he's signed for 1 year and that's what we have to assume in a valuation. Faulk's SH% was half of what in normally was and I'm very confident that he'll bounce back into the ~15G range next year.

Adding a player that might not have a place to play with the Canes isn't too much to ask. Fox isn't even signed. Bean might be a different story.
With that being said, I don't see Hayes coming to Carolina. I thing he moves in a trade deadline deal.

Canes fought to get Fox in the deal. Saying "he isn't even signed" or "might not have a place to play with the Canes" isn't relevant. Waddell said they are going to do everything they can to get him signed and if he's as good as advertised, they'll find a spot. Also, Canes will likely be losing a defenseman in the next expansion draft so we don't know what the team's needs will be a year or two from now.

I do agree with you though that Hayes, if moved, will likely be moved at the deadline.

Reactions: jayhamm

780il

edm
May 29, 2018
Edmonton AB
I dont know if this makes sense for the Canes. If it was Hayes RFA rights then I think it would be a good deal with an add like a 2nd from the Canes. But Hayes is 1 year from UFA and being a center is going to get PAIIIIDDD.

Reactions: DaveG

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014

That is as relevant as me saying "The Canes should pay nothing and get him for free in Free Agency.” To which you say "But you might not get him in Free Agency" to which I'd say "Yeah, but if he'd re-sign with the Canes right now when he clearly doesn't want to play in NYR then the Canes would probably have a good shot in Free Agency.". Around and around it goes.

Pointless argument, trade-and-signs almost never happen. It sounds great as a NYR fan saying "Think of how much more value we get as a long-term piece!". It doesn't translate.

At this stage, Hayes is a better player than Faulk. It could be argued that he is much better.

It could also be argued that Hayes and Faulk are both 26 year olds and both have a career high of 49 points. One is a defender signed to a cheaper Cap for 2 years instead of 1.

Adding a player that might not have a place to play with the Canes isn't too much to ask.
Fox or Bean's hypothetical spot on the Canes doesn't increase or decrease their trade value. Again, that is just opposing fans wishful thinking: "They have so many great young defenders, of course they will trade us one for pennies on the dollar".

Fox isn't even signed. Bean might be a different story.
All indications from the Canes have Fox signing after this year. I don't expect you to follow the Canes so I am letting you know.

Agreed. A trade deadline acquisition for a late 1st or 2nd + prospect is much more likely. The Canes interest will be determined by their place in the standings at that time.

Reactions: AKL

FoxysExpensiveNYDigs

Boo Nieves Truther
Feb 27, 2002
Colorado

Yeah that's a bernmeister proposal, dont take it seriously.

Reactions: DaveG

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Feel the Bern! Bernmeister is one of my favorite posters.

Thanks BBA.
You are one of mine as well, esp for all things Canes.

The bottom line is both sides will get more on the open market for their guys than a deal of 1:1 with them as cores here.

That Hayes is on the rise and Faulk arguably worth not as much last season as opposed to recent prior, is not enough of a factor here. Both positions - big C who skates well and righty shot RD - are in short supply and some other team will overpay for each.

Stickpucker

Playmaka
Jan 18, 2014
Canes do it and add Cliff Pu rangers add that Russian forward that is pretty good. Then the Canes add a 3rd then the rangers add a 6th. Then the Canes add Rask. Then the Rangers add Staal then the Canes add a 6th. Then the Rangers add a 3rd. Then the Canes add something else....you fill in the blanks then the Rangers get Trouba the Canes get some forward who doesn't suck and the Rangers get Faulk.

Reactions: Boom Boom Apathy

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad