Value of: Haydn FLeury to Habs

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
What’s the justification for calling Fleury a “struggling prospect”? He finished post-draft year 4 as an NHL regular. Perhaps we now have greater clarity about his ultimate upside (not a #1), but 17-18 was a good step on the path to Fleury becoming a smooth skating, NHL-level Top 4 complimentary defensive defenseman.

jfhabs

May 21, 2015
Fleury is underwhelming in the fact he wouldn't return a pick equivalent to where he was picked and a lot of players picked after are doing better no + look better for the future. I don't think he looks like a top 4 defenseman now, but has an outside chance of becoming one. I don't think he has the value or potential to be the main piece for a top 6 forward which is what Gallagher/Drouin and Galchenyuk are. Lehkonen looks better now and he has the potential to be a top 6 too, just like Fleury, he's on the outside looking in in terms of chance of it happening. But, Lehkonen floor is already a top 9 forward. Scoring on average 18g/82 games. I would have little interest in Fleury, unless we could have him for a plyer with no long term future with the team.... Maybe Paul Byron would be a win-win, I think I would prefer some picks at the deadline for him better anyway....

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
So Lehks, who was drafted in 2013 and has a career high 28 points in 2 seasons "has the potential to be a top 6" and Fleury, who was drafted in 2014 and just completed his 1st NHL season (and defensemen can take longer to develop that forwards), only has an "outside chance" of becoming a top 4 D.

Cool.

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
neutral fan - Fleury is worth more than Lekhonen. Fleury seems to have about the same odds of being a 2nd pairing defenseman as Lekhonen does of becoming a 2nd line forward. top 15 drafted defensemen have a good track record in the last 6-7 years of putting it together eventually: Pulock, Nurse, Morrissey, Dumba, Trouba, Rielly, etc, its a gamble with good upside

Reactions: Classic Devil

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
Dude only ONE habs fan want this struggling prospect. WE don't want him. We have much better options in our top 6D.

LMAO:help::ha::help::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:

You don't get it. We habs DONT want him so your team needs dont make Fleury more valuable.

Ok

A habs fan wanted to know. Sorry. That doesnt change the Canes asking price if that Habs fan called or 900000 of them did.

Legend123

Jul 3, 2016
You're bad at numbers bro

First Lehks had more than 30 goals and now 1/2 = 99%

Yeesh
ehmmmm lehks does have 30 goals in the NHL LMAO 'bad at numbers' and I dont remember saying he actually did have 30 goals. I said he scored close to 20 goals in his rookie season, which is true (18 is very close plus he scored twice in the playoffs). then he scored 12 which is very close to my educated guess of 13 goals (without checking the stats).
So plz before calling others out, clean ur own shit up LMAO!!!!

So Lehks, who was drafted in 2013 and has a career high 28 points in 2 seasons "has the potential to be a top 6" and Fleury, who was drafted in 2014 and just completed his 1st NHL season (and defensemen can take longer to develop that forwards), only has an "outside chance" of becoming a top 4 D.

Cool.
HUHHH????? I said a top 6D as in playing defense for Fleury. Lehks is a solid 3rd line winger. And I never said Fleury cant become a top 4D, just thats hes been struggling since being drafted top 10.
When I said we have better options at top 6D, I meant we have better Dman NHL ready or NHL players atm.
I dont see Fluery beating any of Petry, Weber, Juulsen, Mete in the top 4, thats also excluding any likely trades or signings to play with Weber on that top pairing. Then on the bottom pairing, we already have players like Alzner, Rielly, and others who either are good enough to play or must play due to terrible contracts.
So yes, we clearly dont need Fleury. Keep him. We keep Lehks, one of our only defensively minded forwards who can kill penalties effectively. Both sides are happy, move on.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jared Dunn

Dec 23, 2013
Yellowknife
neutral fan - Fleury is worth more than Lekhonen. Fleury seems to have about the same odds of being a 2nd pairing defenseman as Lekhonen does of becoming a 2nd line forward. top 15 drafted defensemen have a good track record in the last 6-7 years of putting it together eventually: Pulock, Nurse, Morrissey, Dumba, Trouba, Rielly, etc, its a gamble with good upside

All the guys you listed have always had much more upside than Fleury ever has though, I think that's the difference. I agree he's more valuable than Lehkonen but I think that's solely due to D being more valuable than wingers, Lehkonen has shown a bit more at the NHL level honestly

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
All the guys you listed have always had much more upside than Fleury ever has though, I think that's the difference. I agree he's more valuable than Lehkonen but I think that's solely due to D being more valuable than wingers, Lehkonen has shown a bit more at the NHL level honestly
that wasn't the perception at draft time or he wasn't going as high as he did, I think Nurse was a very comparable prospect for upside

Lekhonen's had the benefit of a couple of years in the league where Fleury's really just established himself, and I agree that the position has a lot to do with the positional disparity, draft pedigree would still factor a bit too imo

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
HUHHH????? I said a top 6D as in playing defense for Fleury. Lehks is a solid 3rd line winger. And I never said Fleury cant become a top 4D, just thats hes been struggling since being drafted top 10.

I wasn't even responding to you. I was referring to JFHABS post, which was directly above mine, so try to keep up.

His post seemed to imply that Lehks had top 6 potential but a 21 year old defenseman who just had his 1st NHL season only has an "outside chance" of being a top 4.

Maybe stop with all your LOL, PLZ, LMAO, :help:, :facepalm: and other nonsense and stop getting so worked up that you mis-read other fans posts, miss obvious jokes, and fail to follow the discussion.

You don't want Fleury, that's fine, then maybe stop posting in a thread where that is being discussed? :dunno:

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014

Fleury is directly comparable to Nurse, Morrissey, Pulock, etc. Your argument boils down to "Small market prospects are worth less than big/Canadian market prospects because I have heard more about the big market prospects".

Case in point: Almost immediately after Buffalo/Carolina won #1/2 both Dahlin and Svechnikov essentially dropped off the first Prospects page. Now Zadina/Wahlstrom/Hughes/Tkachuk are the hot topics.

When I said we have better options at top 6D, I meant we have better Dman NHL ready or NHL players atm.
I dont see Fluery beating any of Petry, Weber, Juulsen, Mete in the top 4, thats also excluding any likely trades or signings to play with Weber on that top pairing. Then on the bottom pairing, we already have players like Alzner, Rielly, and others who either are good enough to play or must play due to terrible contracts.
So yes, we clearly dont need Fleury. Keep him. We keep Lehks, one of our only defensively minded forwards who can kill penalties effectively. Both sides are happy, move on.

"Struggling" at what? Struggling at having Jaccob Slavin and Noah Hanifin in front of him in the lineup? He's a big two-way D with a defensive focus, please elaborate on the dozens of viewings that you have had of him that would be required to make that determination. What are his three main issues? Peeking at HockeyDB doesn't cut it.

Jared Dunn

Dec 23, 2013
Yellowknife
Fleury is directly comparable to Nurse, Morrissey, Pulock, etc. Your argument boils down to "Small market prospects are worth less than big/Canadian market prospects because I have heard more about the big market prospects".

Case in point: Almost immediately after Buffalo/Carolina won #1/2 both Dahlin and Svechnikov essentially dropped off the first Prospects page. Now Zadina/Wahlstrom/Hughes/Tkachuk are the hot topics.

Have fun with your victim complex.

EDIT: When I said upside, I meant offensive upside my bad

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
Have fun with your victim complex.

Well then please elaborate on why Fleury's ceiling is "much" lower than Darnell Nurse's, as you state. When was the last full game you watched Fleury? Talk us through it, be specific. What were his issues? What is holding back his ceiling?

Reactions: SaskCanesFan

Jared Dunn

Dec 23, 2013
Yellowknife
that wasn't the perception at draft time or he wasn't going as high as he did, I think Nurse was a very comparable prospect for upside

Lekhonen's had the benefit of a couple of years in the league where Fleury's really just established himself, and I agree that the position has a lot to do with the positional disparity, draft pedigree would still factor a bit too imo

I meant offensive upside not just upside I misspoke. Still though I think Lehkonen's rookie season was more impressive than Fleury's, that may be mostly due to opportunities given however

Well then please elaborate on why Fleury's ceiling is "much" lower than Darnell Nurse's, as you state. When was the last full game you watched Fleury? Talk us through it, be specific. What were his issues? What is holding back his ceiling?

I misspoke, I meant offensive upside. He has never been considered to have the offensive potential other players listed have which is valued more now than when he was drafted

Last edited by a moderator:

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
I meant offensive upside not just upside I misspoke. Still though I think Lehkonen's rookie season was more impressive than Fleury's, that may be mostly due to opportunities given however
ya I agree, Nurse wasn't an impressive offensive prospect either and seems to have settled in as a guy who can move the puck efficiently but probably won't be a PP quarterback

and agree that Lekhonen's rookie season was more impressive than Fleury's, bit he seems to have taken a bit of a step back and Fleury seems to be taking the long road to development

Jared Dunn

Dec 23, 2013
Yellowknife
ya I agree, Nurse wasn't an impressive offensive prospect either and seems to have settled in as a guy who can move the puck efficiently but probably won't be a PP quarterback

and agree that Lekhonen's rookie season was more impressive than Fleury's, bit he seems to have taken a bit of a step back and Fleury seems to be taking the long road to development

Yup, I think Nurse was valued higher because of the mean streak he can possess. I think Fleury will be a good top 4 still, Lehkonen I think settles in asa high end third liner as he's pretty much already there

Legend123

Jul 3, 2016

"Struggling" at what? Struggling at having Jaccob Slavin and Noah Hanifin in front of him in the lineup? He's a big two-way D with a defensive focus, please elaborate on the dozens of viewings that you have had of him that would be required to make that determination. What are his three main issues? Peeking at HockeyDB doesn't cut it.
Well for one, Haydn is missing an E in his name.
He struggled in his Draft+1 year in juniors relative to the past season. Top ten picks are expected to progress not regress. Meh numbers in the AHL. Then 8 points in the NHL in 67 games. For a former top 10 pick, I would expect a lot more.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
Well for one, Haydn is missing an E in his name.
He struggled in his Draft+1 year in juniors relative to the past season. Top ten picks are expected to progress not regress. Meh numbers in the AHL. Then 8 points in the NHL in 67 games. For a former top 10 pick, I would expect a lot more.

You're seriously using points to as a reason that Fleury is struggling?

Legend123

Jul 3, 2016
You're seriously using points to as a reason that Fleury is struggling?
are u using points to suggest lehks isnt a top 6 F? No fan has watched AHLers play on a consistent basis, i doubt u even did or any other canes fan. You guys are Canes fans, so we're never gonna take ur biased word for it.... The best way to assess a player is by looking at his career trajectory. He only played 5 games in the U20, and only once. Usually, non-disappointing prospects play twice and more than just 5 games.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
are u using points to suggest lehks isnt a top 6 F? No fan has watched AHLers play on a consistent basis, i doubt u even did or any other canes fan. You guys are Canes fans, so we're never gonna take ur biased word for it.... The best way to assess a player is by looking at his career trajectory. He only played 5 games in the U20, and only once. Usually, non-disappointing prospects play twice and more than just 5 games.

1st off I never said a single thing about Lehkonen, so I have no clue where that came from. 2nd off, look at my avi... does it look like I'm a Canes fan?

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006

Ha. He's not a Canes fan. Maybe the Avs avatar and the the Location = Denver should have been a clue for you. ;)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad