Recalled/Assigned: Hayden Fleury Back Down to Charlotte

WreckingCrew

Feb 4, 2015
She’s amazing. I love the way she’s embraced the Canes and her role in covering them. Like she was the perfect hire for the Carolina fan base, she gets it. I sure hope she stays here for a while.
I bit the bullet and subscribed to the Athletic just for this reason. She fits in well as a Canes fan (cynically optimistic and sarcastic) and her coverage is solid, informative, and interesting. I know a lot of us questioned her at first but she has been about perfect for the role and I hope she sticks with the Canes for a long time!

My Special Purpose

Apr 8, 2008
Actually now I'm curious too. Does anyone want to tweet Sara that guys at F26 would like to know how the logistics of assignments and recalls work in practical terms between Raleigh and Charlotte?

Do Bishop and Kuokkanen listen to audiobooks, or does the one not driving read aloud? How do Canes cater that a 20-y.o. boy from out of town can be the best he he can be when on NHL ice?

You can say you're asking for a shy friend who don't dare to come talk himself.

I would assume that with a guy like Fleury -- who's been on a yo-yo -- there is some communication from the team. For example, RBA may pull him aside and say, "we're sending you back to Charlotte for All-Star weekend so you can get game action, but you'll be back for practice on Monday," so Fleury can schedule things. I'm fairly certain the players aren't learning about recalls and getting sent down the same time we are when the transaction comes across Twitter.

I know we've had conversations before about how a player can be in Raleigh in time when the transaction just happened at 3 p.m., but it's likely that the player was told the night before or early in the morning, and the actual transaction was not urgent.

I'm sure they also have rooms on permanent reserve at a local hotel for situations like these.

It's really just the actual transportation that I wonder about.

Cardiac Jerks

Asinine & immoral
Jan 13, 2006
Long Sault, Ontario
Maybe they get comped rental cars. I had a job that would do that and it was fun getting to drive different cars all the time

The company I work for does this. They make all your travel arrangements within an hour of submitting a very simple request form.

Guys in the American division have access to a special service where they can basically show up and take any car they like.

cptjeff

Reprehensible User
Sep 18, 2008
Washington, DC.
I would assume that with a guy like Fleury -- who's been on a yo-yo -- there is some communication from the team. For example, RBA may pull him aside and say, "we're sending you back to Charlotte for All-Star weekend so you can get game action, but you'll be back for practice on Monday," so Fleury can schedule things. I'm fairly certain the players aren't learning about recalls and getting sent down the same time we are when the transaction comes across Twitter.

I know we've had conversations before about how a player can be in Raleigh in time when the transaction just happened at 3 p.m., but it's likely that the player was told the night before or early in the morning, and the actual transaction was not urgent.

I'm sure they also have rooms on permanent reserve at a local hotel for situations like these.

In terms of housing, IIRC the CBA requires teams to provide an extended stay hotel room for a certain period of time after a trade or assignment before the player has to find housing. For a guy like Fluery, I'd bet the arrangement right now is that he lives in Raleigh and has an extended stay hotel in Charlotte. Or he might just crash with a buddy down there, who knows.

Anton Babchuk

Nov 3, 2005
Raleigh-Durham
twitter.com

Players on a two-ways get paid based on days they are on the roster rather than on games they are on the roster for, so that's why every call-up gets announced seemingly last minute. Like you said, the players are notified in advance so they can be here on time.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $25.00