Post-Game Talk: Hawks win Jets gonna Jerts

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
I forced myself to watch that game, so hard to watch a team that's going nowhere but I really do want to see how some of our younger and fringe players are doing.

I sigh when I hear things like "The assistant coaches will all be back next year. Paul Maurice thinks they had a big hand in the 99 point season that got us in the playoffs last year".

Granted, this came from Lawless so I will take it with a CUBE of salt but if this is true it does not bode well for next year.

Our special teams are atrocious. Our goaltenders seem to go from being world beaters to garbage after they get exposure to our goaltending coach.

We are stuck with players who will not help us make the playoffs (Stuart, Pavelec, Thorburn) or be successful in the playoffs (Byfuglien).

I am normally a very positive person but I am worried about these things.

I'm going to try and focus on the good, but whilst I think we might overcome a few weaknesses in our lineup I don't think we will overcome poor coaching considering the state of our special teams. The whole assistant coaching staff needs to be turfed.

MrBoJangelz71

Jan 14, 2014
Not saying a star player. Just someone who sees how the play unfolds on the ice at a deep level.

Seeing and understanding the plays while they unfold is dfferent for players and coaches. Players must react in the moment, coaches do not.

Its one thing to understand the correct play, its another having to execute under the pressure of a forecheck.

Listen to Stuarts interviews, he talks and sounds like a coach. One of his last interviews he called himself out, stating it was no secret he was playing poorly prior to his injury.

He would be solid as an assistant learning with the Moose, working with our prospects, instilling his values with them. He embraced the community, married a local lady that works with True North, seems like a fit to me.

MrBoJangelz71

Jan 14, 2014
I forced myself to watch that game, so hard to watch a team that's going nowhere but I really do want to see how some of our younger and fringe players are doing.

I sigh when I hear things like "The assistant coaches will all be back next year. Paul Maurice thinks they had a big hand in the 99 point season that got us in the playoffs last year".

Granted, this came from Lawless so I will take it with a CUBE of salt but if this is true it does not bode well for next year.

Our special teams are atrocious. Our goaltenders seem to go from being world beaters to garbage after they get exposure to our goaltending coach.

We are stuck with players who will not help us make the playoffs (Stuart, Pavelec, Thorburn) or be successful in the playoffs (Byfuglien).

I'm going to try and focus on the good, but whilst I think we might overcome a few weaknesses in our lineup I don't think we will overcome poor coaching considering the state of our special teams. The whole assistant coaching staff needs to be turfed.

I would not put that much stock into these games, when winning has become secondary to the team.

Puckatron 3000

Glitchy Prototype
Feb 4, 2014
Offensive Zone
I'll have to pay more attention to Stu's interviews, because I haven't heard what you guys have. Then again, I sometimes skip over his interviews - never thought they were that interesting.

As a comparison though, if you'd said the Jets were interested in Jay Harrison (another lackluster d man) as an assistant coach, I would have immediately thought, "I can see that". So it's not about on ice talent.

I get that there's differences involved in processing the play from the ice vs the bench. But still, Stu never struck me as particularly cerebral on or off the ice. Again, my impression could be totally off.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
I would not put that much stock into these games, when winning has become secondary to the team.

You're right, and that is why they are really hard to watch. I am more just looking at guys like Melchiori, Dano, Armia, Copp, Tanev and whomever else ends up playing to see what their skillset and effort level is.

raideralex99

Whiteout Is Coming.
Dec 18, 2015
West Coast
I'll have to pay more attention to Stu's interviews, because I haven't heard what you guys have. Then again, I sometimes skip over his interviews - never thought they were that interesting.

As a comparison though, if you'd said the Jets were interested in Jay Harrison (another lackluster d man) as an assistant coach, I would have immediately thought, "I can see that". So it's not about on ice talent.

I get that there's differences involved in processing the play from the ice vs the bench. But still, Stu never struck me as particularly cerebral on or off the ice. Again, my impression could be totally off.

The majority of the time ... Good players make lousy coaches. It's the bad players that make good coaches.

Board Bard

Dane-O-Mite
Jun 7, 2014
Please don't hire Stuart for any position that puts him near a Jet or a Moose when he retires, down to and including bus driver. He can practice being a great guy and a community leader at one of Chipman's car lots.

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014

I guess 4 games is enough to make that determination, good grief. :shakehead

Of course that also completely ignores his contribution in winning a Stanley Cup in Chicago. I know, I know, Defense, Defense.

Ducky10

Nov 14, 2014
I guess if one good thing that can be said about Stu is that he's been able to play as long as he is has in the NHL with such a limited skill set. I suppose that might lend one to believe he has a very good sense on what it takes to be a pro,which I suppose could be imparted on young players.

Other than that I'm not really sure why anyone would think he'd make a very good coach, especially from a technical perspective.

Duke749

Savannah Ghost Pirates
Apr 6, 2010
Canton, Georgia
I guess 4 games is enough to make that determination, good grief. :shakehead

Of course that also completely ignores his contribution in winning a Stanley Cup in Chicago. I know, I know, Defense, Defense.

I really don't know how someone can objectively say that after his second half to this season. Byfuglien ha simply reached another level. He hasn't only been solidifying himself as a #1 defenseman, he would almost certainly be in the Norris conversation if we were a winning team. He is elite offensively and has become elite in his own zone as well. And the reads he makes against the rush in the neutral zone are among the best in the league from the back end. How many times do we see him break up a pass or simply intercept it every game? It's become a common occurrence.

Duke749

Savannah Ghost Pirates
Apr 6, 2010
Canton, Georgia
I guess if one good thing that can be said about Stu is that he's been able to play as long as he is has in the NHL with such a limited skill set. I suppose that might lend one to believe he has a very good sense on what it takes to be a pro,which I suppose could be imparted on young players.

Other than that I'm not really sure why anyone would think he'd make a very good coach, especially from a technical perspective.

Honesty, Wheeler and Scheif could probably do the same thing and they're much more talented.

Ducky10

Nov 14, 2014
Honesty, Wheeler and Scheif could probably do the same thing and they're much more talented.

Oh I completely agree, I just meant in the context of finding some use for Stu if they are intent on doing so. No comparisons intended.

Ducky10

Nov 14, 2014
I really don't know how someone can objectively say that after his second half to this season. Byfuglien ha simply reached another level. He hasn't only been solidifying himself as a #1 defenseman, he would almost certainly be in the Norris conversation if we were a winning team. He is elite offensively and has become elite in his own zone as well. And the reads he makes against the rush in the neutral zone are among the best in the league from the back end. How many times do we see him break up a pass or simply intercept it every game? It's become a common occurrence.

I guess I really do need to use these more :sarcasm::sarcasm:

veganhunter

Mexico City Coyotes!
Feb 15, 2010
Calgary
Maybe on a team whose top 6 has huge scoring talent and one of the few ppgers in the league.

Overall at some point when you look around the league you're going to need actual production because other team's third lines are loaded with players who get ~.5ppg if not more. Burmi isn't getting even half of that, at some point a weaker corsi player, but stronger scorer (like Stafford) must be more valuable to a team. When you can't even get .25ppg your possession metrics begin to mean eff all. Yes you'll outshoot and outchance them, but you won't score and they will and at the end of the day that means you lose and they win.

God no, by every measure of goal differential Stafford is awful and that's despite scoring 20 himself. He is bad defensively and he is a bad possession player who had his numbers pulled up by playing over 40% of his even strength ice time with some combination of Ladd, Wheeler, Little, Scheifele, and Perreault.

winnipegger

Dec 17, 2013
Hammer should put together a Stuart "highlights" video. Would be pretty comical.

I would make a donation towards someone putting a Stuuuu compilation together...we could then paste that all over social media and try to put real pressure on TNSE. Seriously, he's not playing NHL calibre hockey and if he's gifted a spot over Morrissey next season I will threaten to stop watching the games (and then continue to watch and *****).

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
I was at the game but had to rewatch just in case I missed something, but at around the 10 minute mark of the 3rd there was the play where Wheeler tried to hit Ehlers on a breakaway pass, but it didn't connect and Seabrook coasted back for the icing. They had the faceoff in the Jets zone so I assume icing was the call. Why were the Jets allowed to change?

TheGovernment

Jan 13, 2012
I could barely stomach watching this game. I gave up my seasons for the last few games for free just because I would rather sit and do nothing, rather than go to the games lol.
Its almost like the entire organization is trolling everyone. Everyone can see what the problems are, EVERYONE... But the true North just doesn't seem willing to make the proper changes for the jets to succeed.
Watching Pavelec just makes me angry, he over commits to sooooo many shots and then is completely out of positions for the rebounds. Just makes you want to go to the jets front office amd slap everyone one of them lol

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
I could barely stomach watching this game. I gave up my seasons for the last few games for free just because I would rather sit and do nothing, rather than go to the games lol.
Its almost like the entire organization is trolling everyone. Everyone can see what the problems are, EVERYONE... But the true North just doesn't seem willing to make the proper changes for the jets to succeed.
Watching Pavelec just makes me angry, he over commits to sooooo many shots and then is completely out of positions for the rebounds. Just makes you want to go to the jets front office amd slap everyone one of them lol

Losing is in our best interest right now so everything that would normally drive me crazy has a silver lining right now. I know I had about 6 tickets left when I went to Mexico that I didn't bother dealing with. I am exhausted from slinging on Kijiji this season. I just needed to get my seat inventory right for the future which I did so come next season it will be fine.

I have enjoyed the week in Mexico away from things but last night I did watch bits and pieces of the game on NHL Game Centre ( when it was working) and I kind of enjoyed it. It will be nice when this season is done.

Koonta

The Boss Wears White
Jan 1, 2012
Thunder Road
I'm gonna cheer hard for team USA in the World Cup so guys like Wheeler and Buff have something to celebrate.

Secondly will cheer Hellebuyck and Scheifele for team North America (Scheifs better be named with his play)

Team Canada can fail miserably for all I care and I'm about as patriotic as can be but can't stand the usual glam boys and full on media blitz of team Canada when there is no individual players for me to cheer for.

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
Stuart: "Aaahh! I've got the puck! Quick: turn backwards and dish it behind the net. Trouba will get us out of here!"

I swear that's what goes through his mind lately. Poor Trouba. Stuart was never that good - lately, he's been downright awful. He MUST not be a regular on the roster next year.

His descent is bad for even him:
CfAVnGqUUAEme9M.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad