GDT: Hawks Vs Sens - 7:30PM CT on NBCSCH+ -- Meet Your 18/19 Goalies

Status
Not open for further replies.

Putt Pirate

Dec 15, 2015
I think Sikura has been just mediocre at best in every game he has played. He is not NHL ready yet in my eyes.

Ace Card Bedard

Back in Black, Red, and White
Feb 11, 2012
Saad and Schmaltz both had bad games.
Toews looked good.
Slim Seabsy tripped over his own skates (lucky not to be a goal against)
Anisimov looked decent.
ManDog looked decent.
Joker had some good moments and some bad turnovers.
Gus too.
Rutta was our best D by far.

Sikura invisible.
Johnson hustled as usual.
Kahun's timing was off.

Brinksy looked good.
Forsberg lost the net a few times but made some nice stops too.

Reactions: KennyWharramPeace

BobbyJet

watch the game, everything else is noise
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
Are you implying it was weak? I just want to make sure I am on the same page.

I'm not about to get into a pissing contest about what constitutes a weak goal or not. Forsberg didn't get a lot of action in this game but overall I think AF looked pretty good in the net this night.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
I'm not about to get into a pissing contest about what constitutes a weak goal or not. Forsberg didn't get a lot of action in this game but overall I think AF looked pretty good in the net this night.

Pissing contest?

I just want to know if you think it is weak or not.

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
I am going to say it right now, this team is going to better than last year...you can see the effort and difference in Toews, Keith, and Seabs already...Crow gets back in the next 3-4 weeks and this team can challenge...

I'll believe it when I see it. Hawks had an awesome preseason last year too. Then followed it up with complete ass-whoopings to PIT and CBJ. Then had a great 1st period against Toronto. For the first 7 periods to start the year, they looked fantastic...then 10 months later we're picking 8th in the draft.

It's preaseason. Against Ottawa and Detroit no less. Ward, Forsberg, and a best-case rusty Crawford are going to torch the Hawks this year. If Crawford doesn't come back, it's going to be worse than 2011 Turco goaltending.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
I'll believe it when I see it. Hawks had an awesome preseason last year too. Then followed it up with complete ass-whoopings to PIT and CBJ. Then had a great 1st period against Toronto. For the first 7 periods to start the year, they looked fantastic...then 10 months later we're picking 8th in the draft.

It's preaseason. Against Ottawa and Detroit no less. Ward, Forsberg, and a best-case rusty Crawford are going to torch the Hawks this year. If Crawford doesn't come back, it's going to be worse than 2011 Turco goaltending.
its not the results, it is the effort being shown, the commitment some of these guys did this off season, trust me I understand we saw a great start last year only to be fooled...this year just looks different to me, many kids stepping up as well adds to the motivation

Reactions: ChiHawks10

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
its not the results, it is the effort being shown, the commitment some of these guys did this off season, trust me I understand we saw a great start last year only to be fooled...this year just looks different to me, many kids stepping up as well adds to the motivation

I think we'll see a lot of individual growth for players but team success will still be at the mercy of our goaltending...and Q

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011

I’m expecting this season to at least be watchable, unlike last year. Record wise I don’t see us being significantly better with these defense and goaltender situation.

Robsker

Nov 8, 2014
Several observations. One, the crowd was dead. Very quiet and the game justified the sleepy feel in the building - it was boring. It seems so well... just like last year. Nothing changes.

Two, Toews seems sharp. That is, of course, a good thing. Three, Forsberg looked solid. That too is good. Man... I wish Q was gone and a new system deployed and that the Hawks would play exciting hockey. But alas, Q is still here for this season and it is same ol same ol boring hockey.

Game suspension

Feb 11, 2018
Several observations. One, the crowd was dead. Very quiet and the game justified the sleepy feel in the building - it was boring. It seems so well... just like last year. Nothing changes.

You had two bad and boring teams playing so I guess what did anyone expect. If you take Kane off the hawks they are very hard to watch. Even with him it's tough at times.

Both coaches know they have little depth so they are trying to have their teams learn very tight defensive systems in order to not get blown out every game. You can blame Q but I blame Bowman. He has done nothing to help this team in the offseason and is the reason the team is as boring as they are.

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
Bowman is playing the long game, as he should. With the D crop coming and the 2019 draft looking really good at forward, as well as a few big UFAs hitting market in 2019, its fine to be patient and let things shake out. This team isnt a contender and wasting money on any of the UFAs this summer or trading the 8th pick/Justin Faulk wouldnt have changed that. This team has the potential to be really good again if they hit their picks and spend the cap space wisely. Toews and Kane still have a lot of hockey left in them.

DeBrincat a home run pick, Joker was a good pick, Mitchell, Beaudin and Boqvist look good. Colliton took a rockford team that missed the playoffs consistently and had them go deep year one of his tenure...can see the bright spots in the org, just will look grim this year but 2019/2020 will be fun again.

Robsker

Nov 8, 2014
I agree that, as you said, "Bowman is playing the long game." It would appear that he is looking towards 2020 (and to a lesser extent 2019) more so than this year. I assume he realizes that the "Cap casualty" that is designed to give parity in the NHL has hit the Hawks (as it hits all teams who had their run) and that nothing can be done this year (except put a few bandaids on gunshot woulds as others have said). It would appear that he is gearing up for the future and make moves to make the team in a couple of years a once-again contender.

I would guess Bowman has the longer-range big picture in view. That big picture would have been nicer had Q been ousted already - but that is coming soon (end of this season likely).

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
I am willing to guarantee that the FO sat down with Rocky and McD and laid out going for it now and building for the long term. Clearly they made the choice to go long term. It makes way more sense to build for the longterm.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
this team could have over $20 mil in cap next year, obviously that doesn't include resigning Schmaltz, but I can't recall the last time we have ever had that....we can do a lot next year while expecting our kids to jump up as well.

featherhawk

Dec 13, 2006
this team could have over $20 mil in cap next year, obviously that doesn't include resigning Schmaltz, but I can't recall the last time we have ever had that....we can do a lot next year while expecting our kids to jump up as well.

This is true and great Potential exists but whatever they do will be irrelevant if Q is still the coach

migi

Feb 25, 2015
I'm hoping the plan is to get a top 10 pick and then sign Panarin

Panarin, Hughes and Kane as superstar forwards, Toews, Schmaltz and DeBrincat providing ”pretty good” secondary scoring.

Then we hope Boqvist and others are as advertised and we are ready to compete for loong time.

;)

Robsker

Nov 8, 2014
This is true and great Potential exists but whatever they do will be irrelevant if Q is still the coach

You are absolutely correct. Q must go in season this year (unlikely) or at seasons end.

With 20M the Hawks may be able to pick up 3 or 4 FA players (depending, of course, on individual costs) --- either way, that is huge. Couple this with the reality that Scmaltz, D-Cat, Hayden, Sikura, Kahun, and Jokiharu will be more seasoned and maybe Beaudin, Boquist or Mitchell will be ready and all this adds to a much better next season than this season -- especially if a new coach and a new system and a new hope is in place. It is paramount, however, that Q be gone for next season.

I wish it were now - that a new coach and a new system were in place now.

RememberTheRoar

“I’m not as worried about the 5-on-5 scoring.”
Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
for the first time in a long time, we "could" be major players in free agency next year, and Panarin tops that list for me as well..

Should they go after a guy like Mark Stone instead of Panarin? Seems like a guy who could fill that missing Hossa role as Saad doesn’t seem to be capable of doing it.

KWP

Aug 18, 2018
The Nearest Gin Joint
One big thing from yesterday vs. Wings was the powerplay. Now we see how big difference is the functional PP vs bad. Yesterday was total garbage ...

Hawks are, from what I reading, copying the Caps' PP.
But that model requires a muscle guy in the middle and Schmaltzy isn't that type. Anisimov can stand in there but his 1-timer ... I've never even seen him take one.

What the PP needs is criss cross movement in the paint. The Hawks can do that. Kane and/or Cat on the half wall w/ 3 guys constant flow thru / by the crease. Movement movement movement. The "QB" d-man up at the blue line as an reset outlet & "safety" against any shorthanded breakout.

My model sure ain't the Caps' but this stuff ain't brain surgery either.
GoHawks.

Last edited:

KWP

Aug 18, 2018
The Nearest Gin Joint
Actually it was Joker that caused the problem. Instead of clearing the puck out from behind the net (even though he was first to it), he avoided the hit by tying up his man. That meant that Keith had react to come down low to get the puck, leaving the slot wide open. If Joker takes the hit to make the play, there is no scoring chance.

Touche but still kinda see it differently. Agree Joker kinda froze an instant too long & that started the problem, but Keith went low - I think he expected Joker to get him the puck. When it went to the other side I think Keith shoulda gone net front. Kahun was a stride slow too and "rookie" - or make that rookies - mistakes / miscommunication a part for sure.

Still, I think it was Keith's move to get back to the net .- and even cover / expect the rooks to FU. I mean #2' see it all plenty of times over. (Why he makes the big bucks, right? ;-))

Agree to disagree? And just my two cents probably not worth even that much. ;-)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad