Post-Game Talk: Hawks sweep Western Canadian leg of the Circus Trip, down Flames 3-2!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
He only benched Pirri. Oduya saw 12 more shifts after the goal. Only the kids are held accountable.
Pretty sure I saw at least a couple shifts where Roszival was with Hammer. He may not have been beched as long as Pirri, but he was.

Absolutely. He also took a stupid needless interference penalty in the second. If it was an isolated incident with Q it'd make sense.

But it's not, and blaming Pirri and Pirri alone for a goal when they had a 3 on 3 rush the other way isn't really fair.

But if it was Bollig, you would have no problem blaming the whole thing on him. I agree, it's not Pirris fault completely, but you can't h0onestly say he had a decent game. He was fighting it for most of the game.

moose vasko

Mar 3, 2011
The Bryan Bickell disaster of a contract is looking so bad when he is really, not missed at all by this team when he is out. Like, that's $4m we could have used elsewhere. Could still have Frolik for another year. We have a surplus of forwards who could play for this team even when Bickell is hurt.

Disaster? Seriously? He has 5 goals playing mostly on the third line and with no regular PP time. Not a fast start but hardly a disaster. The mistake that Stan made on Bickell was not re-signing him late in the regular season when the rumor was that the sides were close at about 2 million per. That said, I could care less if he finishes with 15 as long as he brings it in the spring.

Easton Modano Curve

Jun 19, 2013
Chicago
Kane great, Pirri deserved better and we mailed that game in yet still won, huh.

Kind of a tangent, but I think it is really interesting how young guys in hockey (and sports in general) are treated compared to older guys. On HFBoards, our rookies are the future, our hope, the guys we want to invest in, and play. Much, much different than the real world.

You go into sales and you often times start off working for commission, you become a doctor and you go through internship and residency and you are bottom of the barrel, you become an associate attorney right out of law school and you get worked like a dog, etc, etc, etc. Most jobs in the real world you have no leash.

The difference with hockey (and sports in general) has an added twist since performance is highly tied into athleticism and physical fitness (which favors younger guys). Still in sports (just like other jobs) experience, seniority, leadership, etc do matter. Interesting balance.

Obviously a lot of guys here don't like how Q balances that line. While I don't like everything Q does I do think he gets a little too much flak sometimes. While we focus on on-ice talent, coaches also have to think about team chemistry (not just chemistry b/t individual players), camaraderie, leadership, rewarding players who meet performance evaluations, building a roster to go deep into the playoffs while balancing regular season wins and development, etc. I think coaching talented a talented roster is harder than it look (look at Pittsburgh).

Like many have said here coaching is highly tied into who has relationship in the old boys club (the old boys club runs the real world too :laugh:), but professional sports is tied to performance as much as any job out there. I know people hate hearing this, but at the end of the day Q has performed well when it's mattered. Whether we like his decisions or not he'll be around for a little why longer.

Marotte Marauder

Aug 10, 2008
I think I recall Sharp missing a couple of wide open nets early on, just as bad IMO.

I'd rather a player miss the net, than cough up a puck resulting in a GA.

So you think it's a bigger impact to turn the puck over 150' from your net because it may, if all things go the opponent's way, turn into a goal against than to miss scoring on a 90% open net?

Which will result in a goal more often?

HockeySauce

Jan 26, 2011
He's a teenager playing against men. He'll come up, have a move that works and teams will adjust. It happened with Kane his rookie year. He'd gain the zone, immediately pull a sharp curl move and make himself time and space. Teams adjusted and would pressure him. It took him about a dozen games for him to learn when to blow past the forward and when to hold up.

If TT is everything I keep hearing he is, I'm really excited to see what he does in the NHL. Like Kruger before him, numbers in a Euro league don't mean much to me. Skillset does.

Teravainen's skillset is much, much higher than Kruger's and obviously, I've been one of Kruger's biggest backers.

They really aren't comparable talent-wise.

HockeySauce

Jan 26, 2011
As for the game, I thought the Hawks played as well as they have been playing. Sharp miffed a couple, the Flames had some big blocks and Berra made some nice saves though 50 minutes.. but once Chicago got one, the bubble burst.

The Flames are a hard-working team. They played well. I don't think that means Chicago played poorly though, they just weren't cashing on opportunities they usually bury.

zac

Apr 29, 2009
Clearly Q agreed it was terrible effort as he benched the kid

Also for my use of Humiliating ,, When it comes to the Bears D I stand by that remark "100%" of time ,, Also when it comes to McClellin :nod:

Pirri had two bad plays, and one of which was debatable as he was trying to stay on side. The problem with Q is that he is inconsistent with his judgements as certain players are unfairly punished for actions that others don't. Toews was very bad, especially by his, standards all night. He had the great set up Sharpie whiffed on, but was off on face offs, had numerous TOs/bad passes, and was largely invisible. Did he get benched? Did anyone question his effort? Of course not, because it's ludicrous. Just as it was to bench Pirri.

Benchings should be reserved for repeated mistakes and effortless play. Pirri has not been doing these things; defensively he's been responsible and offensively he's made some plays plays despite the recent lack of points. He's a young player who's learning his way and Q has to be a dumbass and drop Pirri from 2c and senselessly bench him for the rest of the game.

I can't believe you came to Qs defense on this. The irony is the person making the most repeated and inexcusable failures on this team is Q. Recusing himself would help a lot more than benching Pirri. What a dunce.

chicagoskycam

Land of #1 Overall Picks
Nov 19, 2009
Fulton Market, Chicago
chicagoskycam.com
Pirri had two bad plays, and one of which was debatable as he was trying to stay on side. The problem with Q is that he is inconsistent with his judgements as certain players are unfairly punished for actions that others don't. Toews was very bad, especially by his, standards all night. He had the great set up Sharpie whiffed on, but was off on face offs, had numerous TOs/bad passes, and was largely invisible. Did he get benched? Did anyone question his effort? Of course not, because it's ludicrous. Just as it was to bench Pirri.

Benchings should be reserved for repeated mistakes and effortless play. Pirri has not been doing these things; defensively he's been responsible and offensively he's made some plays plays despite the recent lack of points. He's a young player who's learning his way and Q has to be a dumbass and drop Pirri from 2c and senselessly bench him for the rest of the game.

I can't believe you came to Qs defense on this. The irony is the person making the most repeated and inexcusable failures on this team is Q. Recusing himself would help a lot more than benching Pirri. What a dunce.

Q always seems to have a whipping boy. Just how it is.

Bubba88

Toews = Savior
Nov 8, 2009
Bavaria
Q sits rookies that make mistakes in the own zone. Call me shocked. That's normal for about every coach with rookies. At least the good coaches do this. That's what is called developing. Make them pay for their faults and show them there is more than scoring goals. Next game he'll get his normal ice time again

EmeticDonut

Oct 7, 2006
Q is definitely a believer in the tough love school. If that makes players turn out to be better all around players then I am all for it.

BobbyJet

The accountability era?
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
Watched the 3rd period on PVR last night… was a bit surprised that Pirri did hit the ice after the turnover leading to a goal. I noticed 2 shifts after that, but in the last 10 minutes nothing. In the post game celebration on the ice, Pirri was one of the first to greet Raanta, and seemed quite upbeat (FWIW). Versteeg had a pretty decent period I thought. He hasn’t buried many but he has had some real good chances. If he can stay responsible defensively and regain that scoring touch, it will make us that much more formidable.
However, in general the game was a dud for the Hawks, and they were fortunate to get the 2 points, but let’s move on. They will need to be better against Dallas, and that includes Q.

Salvaged Ship

Oct 9, 2013
I can't remember, was Pirri already gone for the game before Kane scored the first goal? I'm not remembering exactly when he got benched.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
So you think it's a bigger impact to turn the puck over 150' from your net because it may, if all things go the opponent's way, turn into a goal against than to miss scoring on a 90% open net?

Which will result in a goal more often?
I don't care about the miss GF, I care about the GA. We can get more opportunities to score throughout the game, it's all about limiting the oppositions chances to score...that's pretty basic hockey right there.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
Pirri had two bad plays, and one of which was debatable as he was trying to stay on side. The problem with Q is that he is inconsistent with his judgements as certain players are unfairly punished for actions that others don't. Toews was very bad, especially by his, standards all night. He had the great set up Sharpie whiffed on, but was off on face offs, had numerous TOs/bad passes, and was largely invisible. Did he get benched? Did anyone question his effort? Of course not, because it's ludicrous. Just as it was to bench Pirri. .
What a joke, I'm pretty sure Toews at his worst is still far better than Pirri. Why would we sit a player that is MUCH more important than a 10-12min/game player?

Common sense is wonderful.

DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawk Down
Jun 19, 2004
South Side
I don't care about the miss GF, I care about the GA. We can get more opportunities to score throughout the game, it's all about limiting the oppositions chances to score...that's pretty basic hockey right there.

Right, but he took a chance when he had numbers behind him. It didn't even lead to an odd man rush.

People are acting like he was the last man back and tried to dance around a forechecker. Yes it was a mistake but it was hardly the blunder Q made it out to be.

DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawk Down
Jun 19, 2004
South Side
What a joke, I'm pretty sure Toews at his worst is still far better than Pirri. Why would we sit a player that is MUCH more important than a 10-12min/game player?

Common sense is wonderful.

Toews is a terrible player to use as a comparison - I didn't even think he was that bad - but Bollig was easily the worst forward on the ice for us and he has never been benched.

Salvaged Ship

Oct 9, 2013
The thing about it all is we were down 2-0 for the night for over 45 minutes with Pirri playing. He get benched and we outscore them 3-0 the final 12 minutes. And from that people are upset. What are the priorities?

I would like to see Pirri put on the second line and let him play through his mistakes, but coincindence or not we turned the game around with him sitting. When certain veterans make bad plays people call them washed up and want them off the ice. When a rookie makes a mistake people want him to stay in there and play thay through them no matter what. There is this star in the making mentality with rookies who had great minor league numbers. While I would like Pirri out there to play through mistakes that obviously isn't the coaches idea of how to win games and develop the kid. If benching the kid gets him more conscious about making mistakes and improves his game in the long run (and we still win) then fine. I care more about winning.

DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawk Down
Jun 19, 2004
South Side
The thing about it all is we were down 2-0 for the night for over 45 minutes with Pirri playing. He get benched and we outscore them 3-0 the final 12 minutes. And from that people are upset. What are the priorities?

I would like to see Pirri put on the second line and let him play through his mistakes, but coincindence or not we turned the game around with him sitting. When certain veterans make bad plays people call them washed up and want them off the ice. When a rookie makes a mistake people want him to stay in there and play thay through them no matter what. There is this star in the making mentality with rookies who had great minor league numbers. While I would like Pirri out there to play through mistakes that obviously isn't the coaches idea of how to win games and develop the kid. If benching the kid gets him more conscious about making mistakes and improves his game in the long run (and we still win) then fine. I care more about winning.

You keep bringing up AHL statistics like that's the reason I want him in our top six. I've wanted him in our top six for three years now. And I love the line about as soon as he was benched the teams started scoring goal. I think it probably had a whole lot more to do with dropping the anchor that is Handzus off of Kane's line.

I always want the Hawks to win. Go back and read the GDT. When we were down 2 I was claiming the Hawks would win this game when everyone else declared the game over.

I care about winning. I think we will win a lot more hockey games moving forward if we use Pirri correctly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad