Post-Game Talk: Hawks stop Canucks winning streak at 2

mathonwy

Positively #toxic
Jan 21, 2008
Canucks have to show canny business sense and read the situation for what it is.

Canucks should begin looking at assets to see where they can make changes. The AHL players should be cycled through and assessed. Then, at the trade deadline sell off players that do not figure in the 2016 season.

This Summer build toward a new model and re-emerge as a different team next season. To accomplish that, they need to be working toward it right away. They will need to do some painful things, like buyouts and bridge burning trades. Friendships must be put aside and the team needs to be all business.

It's gonna take some smart people to try to un**** this cluster.

Or hell of a lot of luck.

vancityluongo

curse of the strombino
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2006
Edmonton
When people inevitably start negative chants at games, can they at least chant 'Fire Aquillini, preferably out of a cannon into the sun' instead 'Fire WD', or 'Fire Benning'.

I don't think enough people will be going to games by the time the casual population has realized how ****** the team is.

Aquilini might just leave himself hahah.

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
y2khockey's got a beef with the Sedins.

Linden's got a beef with Miller.

It's just a thing thing.

I don't think the two situations are comparable, although I will admit that my comment was unfair tonight as Miller seemed okay.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
It's gonna take some smart people to try to un**** this cluster.

Or hell of a lot of luck.

Really this tire-fire belongs more to the GM than the coach imo....can't recall a thinner Canuck roster in recent memory....and that blueline....it was bad before even Sbisa and Hamhuis went down....now it's farcical.....I can't understand why they're not using Pedan instead of Weber....could he be any worse?....this blueline was totally exposed in the Flames series a year ago, and for reasons best known to Benning and Linden, they brought them all back....oh well, by the time mid-January rolls around this team will be firmly ensconced in lottery-land...let the sell-off begin.

Johnny Canucker

Jan 4, 2009
Really this tire-fire belongs more to the GM than the coach imo....can't recall a thinner Canuck roster in recent memory....and that blueline....it was bad before even Sbisa and Hamhuis went down....now it's farcical.....I can't understand why they're not using Pedan instead of Weber....could he be any worse?....this blueline was totally exposed in the Flames series a year ago, and for reasons best known to Benning and Linden, they brought them all back....oh well, by the time mid-January rolls around this team will be firmly ensconced in lottery-land...let the sell-off begin.

The problem is, I am not sure management is capable enough to even trade pieces off and get picks. I have 0 confidence in this group of management. When with a top 3 pick we would somehow screw it up or trade it for Sbisa 2.0. Trading 1 vet isn't going to do it. Unless we can move 3-4 of Hamhuis, Higgins, Vrbata, Burrows, Edler then it's a fail. Also the return on all of the above (except Edler) will be minimal.

Edler - late first / early second
Hamhuis / Vrbata - 2nds
Higgins/Burrows - 3rds (maybe 4th for Higgins)

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
I'm fine with Weber as a 7D or a 6D in case of injury.

I'm not fine with Weber getting spoon fed PP time because he's a RHS and actively causing SH chances.

There's a reason Montreal played him mostly as a 4th liner over a D. I'd be fine with him in that role but obviously that's not going to happen.

Take that up with the dolt that made him the #4D and the other dolt that plays him 20 mins a night. Seriously have to wonder what goes through the head of GM that sees him expecting to go better in the playoffs and icing Weber as his #4..........

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
it is how the kings got doughty. The canucks came into the season with little depth. since things have gone wrong with injuries, the bottom has fallen out.

I would say "gone wrong with injuries" is "gone as expected for any NHL team with injuries". The bottom fell out but it was well on its way to falling out when healthy.

But I digress...thought it was not a great effort by the club despite the hometown channel praise they were getting after 2 periods. Seemed the ice was tilted very much in the Hawks favor for good scoring chances all night long. A lot of missed nets by the Hawks who showed Canuck finish through two.

Horvat....struggling but also getting so many defensive zone starts this year. They supposedly acquired Sutter for that job but that's the role Horvat gas had all year. They are treating him like a 400 game vet rather than a sophomore who should be expected to carry any part of a team.

Miller...not the problem on the night. Then again we shouldn't have to talk about whether the 6 million dollar starter was a problem after every games.

David Bruce Banner

Nude Cabdriver Ban
Mar 25, 2008
Streets Ahead
I hope he develops into a very good 2nd line center. If he develops into a third liner it will suck big time.

This is a huge learning year for Horvat, but from what I've seen of him, he has the skill and hockey IQ to come out of this a better player. Maybe he'll "only" top out as an elite 3rd liner like Malhotra. If so, I'd be grudgingly okay with that.

Schneider would be wasted on this team, though. He'd be spending his prime years raising us just enough to weasel into the playoffs and get buried in the first round. In 5 years time (which is how long it will take before this team is good again, IMHO), he'll be on the downslide, and hopefully, Horvat will be at the top of his game.

Now, if you want to argue that we should have drafted Nichushkin instead, well... :popcorn:

Index

Fillmore, I'm on it!
Mar 24, 2013
I don't think the two situations are comparable, although I will admit that my comment was unfair tonight as Miller seemed okay.

Cheer for your Canucks but accept losing gracefully and with enthusiasm because it's going to pay off down the road.

Best reconciliation I can offer to you.

Goon42

Apr 12, 2013
The problem is, I am not sure management is capable enough to even trade pieces off and get picks. I have 0 confidence in this group of management. When with a top 3 pick we would somehow screw it up or trade it for Sbisa 2.0. Trading 1 vet isn't going to do it. Unless we can move 3-4 of Hamhuis, Higgins, Vrbata, Burrows, Edler then it's a fail. Also the return on all of the above (except Edler) will be minimal.

Edler - late first / early second
Hamhuis / Vrbata - 2nds
Higgins/Burrows - 3rds (maybe 4th for Higgins)

Benning got a 2nd for bieksa and you think edler might go for a 2nd?

Drevilriiiiiiiight.jpeg

Tinhorn1

Aug 7, 2007
Yeah starting to look like last year was the anomaly, not this year.

Do you know what anomaly means? Horvat had played in two NHL seasons, which is not enough time to declare either one anomalous. You make it sound like Horvat has had five bad years and one good one. He's been so-so for about a third of one season. So what?

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
Do you know what anomaly means? Horvat had played in two NHL seasons, which is not enough time to declare either one anomalous. You make it sound like Horvat has had five bad years and one good one. He's been so-so for about a third of one season. So what?

Pretty much; players don't develop in a straight line (up).

Huggy

Respectful Handshake
Jul 22, 2014
Vancouver
I really blame the coach for Horvat's slump.

When you have the worst coach in the league you have to think a 20 year old player playing as a 2c against the top QoC, with the top face off% on team, playing on a line with Benning's pet project Baertschi.

If Horvat had 5/6 more points no one would blink.

Frustrating to go 20 games without a goal, but Burrows and Higgins are about 26 years older than Horvat, I think the blame lies with them

Proto

Jan 30, 2010
Luongo used to be a franchise goalie. Sure wasn't when we traded him. And we did get our current backup for him. Oh and got away from that contract too.

He has a .922 SV% and a .938 at 5v5 this year. He's still a top 7-8 goalie in the NHL.

Edit: also, the longer he played for the Canucks, the less likely they were to be penalized for his contract. Not that they ever will be, mind you. He'll stop playing with an injury and go on LTIR at some point...

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
Usually people say no cause they don't want to see Sedins in Leafs jersey. Guess not a problem for you.

Nope. I prefer a team that has a future and can eventually be a contender. I value winning a Stanley Cup over not wanting to see the Sedins in a Leafs jersey.

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
Cheer for your Canucks but accept losing gracefully and with enthusiasm because it's going to pay off down the road.

Best reconciliation I can offer to you.

How about I cheer for the team and the players that are helping this team. I can't cheer on players that are actively hurting this team. I also don't have any faith in a rebuild with dumbo running it.

Last edited:

fancouver

Jan 15, 2009
Vancouver
Luongo would have at least made this team interesting even if we were losing. The interviews would be quote-worthy.

But as for the game, this is the Chicago dynasty. 4-0 seems like a fitting score.

coldsteel79

Sep 28, 2015
sask
He has a .922 SV% and a .938 at 5v5 this year. He's still a top 7-8 goalie in the NHL.

Edit: also, the longer he played for the Canucks, the less likely they were to be penalized for his contract. Not that they ever will be, mind you. He'll stop playing with an injury and go on LTIR at some point...

If he goes on ltir are the Canucks on the hook for their portion of the salary?

opendoor

Dec 12, 2006

I don't see why the Panthers would want to go down that road. They'd have to pay him cash to sit on the sideline (contracts of that length aren't insured), whereas if he retired early they'd get dead cap space which would allow them to hit the floor without spending any money.

The only way I see that happening is if he's legitimately injured and forced to retire.

Proto

Jan 30, 2010
I don't see why the Panthers would want to go down that road. They'd have to pay him cash to sit on the sideline (contracts of that length aren't insured), whereas if he retired early they'd get dead cap space which would allow them to hit the floor without spending any money.

The only way I see that happening is if he's legitimately injured and forced to retire.

/sadface

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC

That may be but I guess I have a stricter expectation for a "franchise" player. Being at the top rather than near the top for one.

Anyway it's not my intention to run Luongo down, he was a great player in his time here. For a variety of reasons his time was nearing an end and I don't bemoan the loss.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad