Post-Game Talk: Hawks stop Canucks winning streak at 2

mathonwy

Positively #toxic
Jan 21, 2008
What is that suppose to mean?

Crosby 31gp 19 pts.
Toews 30gp 17 pts

Play with crappy linemates or if a power play isn't clicking can be the same as having a crap defense with forwards who aren't getting the job done.

I've watched every game and Miller is the least of our worries. His numbers are in large part a result of a mistake prone team and if he goes down based on Markstrom's showing it's gonna be a fast track to the basement.

y2khockey's got a beef with the Sedins.

Linden's got a beef with Miller.

It's just a thing thing.

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
Also, if you score zero goals, you're probably going to lose. Miller's the least of our problems.

No scoring.

No secondary scoring after the Sedins.

No defense.

Not a winning formula.

mathonwy

Positively #toxic
Jan 21, 2008
Also, if you score zero goals, you're probably going to lose. Miller's the least of our problems.

No scoring.

No secondary scoring after the Sedins.

No defense.

Not a winning formula.

The offense on this team is created from our defense.

Whenever we've had a modicum of success, it's always been because our blue line is making things happen.

As well, none of our forwards are skilled enough to create opportunities by themselves.

So when we got the **** blue line that we got right now, it's not unexpected to see scoring to go way down as well.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that they're related. Scoring and defense. At least it is for this team.

clunk

Dec 10, 2015
I'm gonna..
Exactly. If the Sedins have an off game this team won't win.

Yep. Aquilini is probably still confident that this team can make the playoffs as well. If they buy at the deadline to bow out in the first round again for playoff revenue, many people should be boycotting the Canucks. When a team has to rely on two players to be even decent, it's pretty sad. Team needs to transition the Sedins into secondary scoring roles and that takes rebuilding. Hopefully every tradable asset is thrown around at the TDL and they can be replaced with more young guys or AHLers.

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
y2khockey's got a beef with the Sedins.

Linden's got a beef with Miller.

It's just a thing thing.

meh, difference here is that the sedins are elite players

miller isn't even a top twenty GK, visually or statistically, yet he's being paid like a top ten one.

but it's just a weird thing to point out after this game.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
Please bench Weber as he has done nothing to help the team. One good example, he had the puck, controlled the puck and has choice but he choose to shoot wide and around the rink, leading to a 2 on 1 against. Just a poor decision altogether. If you are going to shoot, shoot at the net and maybe there won't be 2 on 1 against leading to second Chicago goal. His shot is not accurate lately and is wide most of the time. Please get Pedan in for the next game. I want to see what Pedan can do for the team.

Chris Higgins does not belong in the line with McCann and Vrabata. I would promote Baertschi to play with McCann and Vrbata. He has a good night with the offensive side but Horvat has done nothing to do with the offense. He is a good shutdown center, but not offense, not yet anyways. You would have the secondary scoring if you promote Baertschi. Baertschi is a playmaker and has a good shot, why not throw them all together in a line.
Weber can't do anything right other than skate fast. Even easy passes D to D are a problem right now.

Higgins has been awful. What bugs me most is his lack of compete on the forecheck.

KeninsFan

Fire Benning already
Feb 6, 2012
Yep. Aquilini is probably still confident that this team can make the playoffs as well. If they buy at the deadline to bow out in the first round again for playoff revenue, many people should be boycotting the Canucks. When a team has to rely on two players to be even decent, it's pretty sad. Team needs to transition the Sedins into secondary scoring roles and that takes rebuilding. Hopefully every tradable asset is thrown around at the TDL and they can be replaced with more young guys or AHLers.

Well I mean they could.

Sedins+Tanev+Edler+Hansen = ~26M. We have a whole lotta cap space after those key guys to fill out a playoff worthy roster in a dreadful division.

If Aquaman brings in a new GM this season I wouldn't be surprised if the new GM made some drastic trades to push for the playoffs.

Rotting Corpse*

Sep 20, 2003
Kelowna, BC
Well I mean they could.

Sedins+Tanev+Edler+Hansen = ~26M. We have a whole lotta cap space after those key guys to fill out a playoff worthy roster in a dreadful division.

If Aquaman brings in a new GM this season I wouldn't be surprised if the new GM made some drastic trades to push for the playoffs.

Sedin(7) - Sedin(7) - Hansen(2.5)
[empty] - [empty] - Vrbata(5)
Higgins(2.5) - Horvat(1) - Burrows(4.5)
[empty] - [empty] - [empty]

Edler(5) - Tanev(4.5)
Hamhuis(4.5) - [empty]
Hutton(1) - Biega (0.5)

Markstrom (1.5)
[empty]

That's a team where -- you have around $26M to fill 9 holes. If spent wisely we could still have a pretty good team -- let's say, 13M on 2 top-six forwards, 6M on a top-4 D, 3M on a 4th line and 1M on another goalie. You could make this a playoff-team and still have cap space. Bring in a coach with success at the NHL level and who knows.

I'm not sure it's a better idea to punt seasons when the Sedins are still productive so you can rush Virtanen and McCann to the NHL. Bleh.

Intangibos

High-End Intangibos
Apr 5, 2010
Burnaby
Miller is bad, but he wasn't tonight.

This team can't score goals, and this team can't play defence.

Our 4th line coasted back on a Chicago 3 on 2, so not only are they a bad 4th line, but they're not even the hardest working 4th line in the NHL.

geebaan

7th round busted
Oct 27, 2012
Miller is bad, but he wasn't tonight.

This team can't score goals, and this team can't play defence.

Our 4th line coasted back on a Chicago 3 on 2, so not only are they a bad 4th line, but they're not even the hardest working 4th line in the NHL.

Surely that can't be true, seeing how much that lines makes salary wise.

clunk

Dec 10, 2015
I'm gonna..
Why spend available money on true secondary scorers when you can spend it on an 'elite' fourth line?!?! Who needs a second line? Just run a first, third and two fourths! #RecipeForSuccess #FoundationalPlayers #MeatAndPotatoes #RealGood

thepuckmonster

Professional Winner.
Oct 25, 2011
Vancouver
On the twelfth day of Christmas
my true love sent to me:
12 Sedins PP goals
Eleven prospects playing
Ten scoring chances
Nine Prusts' a fighting
Eight missed nets
Seven PK goals allowed
Six powerplay chances
Five Weber SHGssss
Four in scoring for Daniel
Three for Vrbata against Buffalo
Two win streak
and a high pick hopefully... maybe.

StrictlyCommercial

Oct 28, 2006
Vancouver
When people inevitably start negative chants at games, can they at least chant 'Fire Aquillini, preferably out of a cannon into the sun' instead 'Fire WD', or 'Fire Benning'.

Canadian Canuck

Hughes4Calder
Jul 30, 2013
Kamloops BC
my true love sent to me:
12 Sedins PP goals
Eleven prospects playing
Ten scoring chances
Nine Prusts' a fighting
Eight missed nets
Seven PK goals allowed
Six powerplay chances
Five Weber SHGssss
Two win streak

I actually :laugh:

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
I'm not a Miller fan by any means, but he's not someone I would be blaming tonight, especially with 0 goals scored.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
my true love sent to me:
12 Sedins PP goals
Eleven prospects playing
Ten scoring chances
Nine Prusts' a fighting
Eight missed nets
Seven PK goals allowed
Six powerplay chances
Five Weber SHGssss
Two win streak

:xcheers:

Brock Boeser

Mar 11, 2013
Lol this hurts to watch now but when Hank n Dank retire? LOL, think I just puked in my mouth :laugh:

•We probably won't do too bad with proper drafting and our prospects improving. Maybe the twins play till 42 as third liners¿▪

JuniorNelson

Jan 21, 2010
E.Vancouver
Canucks have to show canny business sense and read the situation for what it is.

Canucks should begin looking at assets to see where they can make changes. The AHL players should be cycled through and assessed. Then, at the trade deadline sell off players that do not figure in the 2016 season.

This Summer build toward a new model and re-emerge as a different team next season. To accomplish that, they need to be working toward it right away. They will need to do some painful things, like buyouts and bridge burning trades. Friendships must be put aside and the team needs to be all business.

TheWanderer

Nov 15, 2013
Canucks have to show canny business sense and read the situation for what it is.

Canucks should begin looking at assets to see where they can make changes. The AHL players should be cycled through and assessed. Then, at the trade deadline sell off players that do not figure in the 2016 season.

This Summer build toward a new model and re-emerge as a different team next season. To accomplish that, they need to be working toward it right away. They will need to do some painful things, like buyouts and bridge burning trades. Friendships must be put aside and the team needs to be all business.

well we sure have the wrong crew at the helm for that, now don't we?

JuniorNelson

Jan 21, 2010
E.Vancouver
well we sure have the wrong crew at the helm for that, now don't we?

Not really. I think when ownership has their moment of clarity they'll embrace change. They have assembled a good crew for a renovation. Benning is a good scout. Desjardins system would work with an anonymous roster.

coastal_nuck

Jun 28, 2006
Quite frankly not disappointed that we lost. These are games we should be losing if we have any hope of getting a top draft pick this coming year. Holding onto the illusion that we are a contender is what is truly holding this team back.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad