Post-Game Talk: Hawks Squeak Out a Win in a SO, 2-1 Hawks

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
You don't speak for the board.

Do yourself a favor.

Carry on and enjoy propping up this deplorable org and all it does. Somebody somewhere might agree with you.

in the meantime I'll call it as it is and as this disgusting org fully deserves.

Cool, don't let the door hit you on the way out. But wait, you're stil here "propping up the org." Actions speak louder than words.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
The whole "draft high to get elite players" strategy right now is not paying dividends.

RNH
Yakupov
Gagner
Paajarvi

We wasted 4 years to get these guys and none of them are star players. Two are gone for nominal returns, the other two aren't lighting it up. Lower picked players like Eberle and Hemsky turned out better, but the whole point of doing this was to get players better than Hemsky that we couldn't via trade/UFA. Hasn't worked.

Hall is the only one that's remotely in that upper tier and he's reckless/injured a lot of the time.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Cool, don't let the door hit you on the way out. But wait, you're stil here "propping up the org." Actions speak louder than words.

Are you a mod here?

What actions? That I continue, somehow, to be an Oilers fan? I have been since 72. Hard habit to quit.

Doesn't mean that the view is pretty or that I'm going to lie about it. Again, this org in present form deserves contempt. Nothing but.

You see it differently oh eternal optimist?

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
Are you a mod here?

What actions? That I continue, somehow, to be an Oilers fan? I have been since 72. Hard habit to quit.

Doesn't mean that the view is pretty or that I'm going to lie about it. Again, this org in present form deserves contempt. Nothing but.

I don't see it differently at all. The team is an embarrassment, and the management is comprised of some of the worst personnel ever consistently employed by an organization.

I just don't see the value in going off the rails when a garbage lineup puts up a solid effort against a top team along with several very good individual efforts (Klefbom, Yak, Roy, Scrivens). There are times to ***** and moan about the big picture, and there are times to tip your hat to a team that out out a good effort when there is little reason for them to do so.

Why do you even watch? What were you expecting from the team going into this game? If you don't want to appreciate the little things that go well when they do, then maybe it's best that you save yourself the stress.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
I don't see it differently at all. The team is an embarrassment, and the management is comprised of some of the worst personnel ever consistently employed by an organization.

I just don't see the value in going off the rails when a garbage lineup puts up a solid effort against a top team along with several very good individual efforts (Klefbom, Yak, Roy, Scrivens). There are times to ***** and moan about the big picture, and there are times to tip your hat to a team that out out a good effort when there is little reason for them to do so.

Why do you even watch? What were you expecting from the team going into this game? If you don't want to appreciate the little things that go well when they do, then maybe it's best that you save yourself the stress.

I'll give Nelson that. Under him they are competing harder and bounce back much better after bad losses.

I think virtually his entire tenure here everytime they've played really poorly, they've come back the next game and played much better. That didn't happen under Eakins or even Krueger.

ZJuice

pickle juice connoisseur
May 17, 2010
Edmonton
The whole "draft high to get elite players" strategy right now is not paying dividends.

RNH
Yakupov
Gagner
Paajarvi
I remember high hopes but never anywhere close to either playing being elite.

RNH isn't elite but I think he is an NHLer and will become better and better every single season. Imagine if he was on a team with a veteran elite centre to lead him.. If Detroit drafted him I'm sure he would be well on his way to being a Zetterberg.

Yakupov is also improving every game(I don't count Eakins time as development time, more of a dead Yak era) and I love Roy for it.

If we ever make the playoffs Hall and Eberle are going to look elite in those times, and I just hope our D is good enough to keep pucks out while the O core gets them goals..

Dreaming..

Edit: If you mean Lowe and Co, you are right, they probably think each of these guys are going to somehow be elite because we drafted them high.

Arctic Fox

Nov 17, 2007

RNH
Yakupov
Gagner
Paajarvi

We wasted 4 years to get these guys and none of them are star players. Two are gone for nominal returns, the other two aren't lighting it up. Lower picked players like Eberle and Hemsky turned out better, but the whole point of doing this was to get players better than Hemsky that we couldn't via trade/UFA. Hasn't worked.

Hall is the only one that's remotely in that upper tier and he's reckless/injured a lot of the time.

Star players don't just magically materialize. You need the coaching personnel that knows how to develop players. Instead, judging by MacT's latest presser he selects coaches by their motivational speeches. Speeches don't develop players.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Star players don't just magically materialize. You need the coaching personnel that knows how to develop players. Instead, judging by MacT's latest presser he selects coaches by their motivational speeches. Speeches don't develop players.

Calgary is amazingly lucky to have a coach like Hartley, what a job he is doing with their young players. I'm guessing we didn't even interview him (thanks Lowe/Macdummy).

Nelson is turning some of the tide from the ugly Eakins era, but I don't know if it'll be enough.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking

Fair. In truth I didn't watch all of the game due to already knowing the expected end result and having company come over on a Friday.

Just *****ing about the org. Could occur in any thread but this is the only one where anybody is even present.

I like Nelson as coach. That said I'm convinced the idiots in charge will get rid of him.

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
This is a joke of a line up card the oilers are filling out on most nights with clowns like Hamilton and Oesterle pencilled into the lineup. Its not bad enough that this org puts this pathetic team out every night for the fans to watch. We have to put out lineups now that are so ****ing hopeless opposition teams win on the many nights they don't even take out lineup seriously.
But remember Replacement ... the Oilers have never tanked or lost on purpose. Never ever. :sarcasm:

Jun 9, 2011
I'll give Nelson that. Under him they are competing harder and bounce back much better after bad losses.

I think virtually his entire tenure here everytime they've played really poorly, they've come back the next game and played much better. That didn't happen under Eakins or even Krueger.
That word! That word!

McGoMcD

Aug 14, 2005
Edmonton, AB

RNH
Yakupov
Gagner
Paajarvi

This is partially true, but that doesn't mean the statergy is bad. Reality is Edmonton needs to build through the draft, if we get bad drafts, then we just have to keep at it. It will take some time. Shame we couldn't get Crosby and Malkin, but it wasn't in the cards.

Also you are clearly under rating Nuge. Guy plays all around game, If Hall finally gets back, post Eakins Nuge will be a 70 point guy. If not higher.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003

RNH
Yakupov
Gagner
Paajarvi

The crappy part is that Nuge, Gags and Yak would all be much better players right now if they were developed properly.

Nuge should have been an exception to the "#1 pick always starts right away" rule, the dude was a twig. He held his own, but he would have benefited so much by getting extra time to condition his body instead of getting run down every year and needing a big recovery period after the season is done. And of course what actually happened to him was worse than just having his body run down to nothing by the end of the year, he got injuries that lingered into the off-season. There's no way him or his agent could argue it was a good idea to rush him into the NHL at 165 lbs or whatever he was in 2011. I think Nuge will develop into a #1C eventually, but it's been a very hard road for him, lots of summers of development lost because of injuries. I think last summer was the first time he could train comfortably the whole time. He actually should have been shut down for surgery before the 12/13 season even began, but the hope selling was in full force that year.

Gags absolutely needed to be brought up slowly. He hit a brick wall with his development curve pretty early on and being gifted ice time right from the start made him feel like he never had to develop the defensive side of his game. That kept happening right up until he left, not even Eakins punished Gags for never ending mistakes, of course while Yak was benched for even the slightest error.

Yak, he needed a real coach for this 2nd and first half of his 3rd year, simple as that.

Last edited:

gqmixmaster

Jun 1, 2006
Are you a mod here?

You tell em, nobody needs to tell someone how to follow a team. This organization is garbage and deserves the recognition for being bad when its bad and good when its good.

Dorian2

Define that balance
Jul 17, 2009
Edmonton
Apparently we have 2 opposing forces at large.

Will good triumph over evil?

Hah. I think not.

:sarcasm:

yukoner88

Dec 16, 2009
Dawson City, YT
Calgary is amazingly lucky to have a coach like Hartley, what a job he is doing with their young players. I'm guessing we didn't even interview him (thanks Lowe/Macdummy).

Nelson is turning some of the tide from the ugly Eakins era, but I don't know if it'll be enough.

When Hartley was available, I wanted him in Edmonton so badly. I was so choked when the Flames got him.

Tarus

Jun 22, 2006
Edmonton
I was excited about Eakins until his interview. Then I realized we were doomed.

What? You weren't excited when the just hired coach declared that his team would play every system in existence, and would never get outworked by another NHL team?

You sir, need to lower your expectations!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad