Post-Game Talk: Hawks Squeak Out a Win in a SO, 2-1 Hawks

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
I wouldn't be surprised if we sign Petry in the summer and he was only moved out so we could such a little harder for McEichel.

Not just giving MacT evil genius credit here but I don't think the market for Petry will be as hot as the market for UFA dmen was last year and when they name Nelson HC in the summer Petry will know he's coming to a, not so ******, environment

Well if Habs fans are any indication, it's not looking like Petry will make it to free agency

Jun 9, 2011
Well if Habs fans are any indication, it's not looking like Petry will make it to free agency

Yeah, we don't know where he will sign, but can you imagine going from the Oilers room to an organization like Montreal? Just wow, I don't see him returning to Oilers.

KMart27

Jun 9, 2013
Oesterle has been a disaster in every game and responsible for a GA in every game. I can understand a young prospect making errors and not being ready to play in the NHL.

That is if this guy was actually a prospect. He's nothing of the sort. he can't even remotely be confused with an NHL player. Either now, or in future. This yet another fill AHL player that the org brings up because they've done such things as trade Petry for **** all and don't have enough legit D left to fill a lineup card.

With the org somehow hoping the fanbase just accepts this ****ing **** and carries on.

This org earns my contempt. Continually.

What on Earth is weird about being disgusted with the Edmonton Oilers org?

He has played 4 games and only been on the ice for 2 goals against.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
He has played 4 games and only been on the ice for 2 goals against.

Correction. Every game I bothered to watch. Which is getting harder and harder.

In anycase what on Earth is this guy doing in the NHL. Any reason, at all, whatsoever?

No, just yet another lineup up fill by a team that loves its pointless AHL lineup fills.

Does anybody in the hockey world figure oesterle is a valid NHL player?

Small D, weak, not good offensive numbers..

next

Last edited:

KMart27

Jun 9, 2013
They needed a defenseman up from the minors and they wanted to reward Oesterle for playing well in Oklahoma City. That's why he's in the NHL for the time being.

gqmixmaster

Jun 1, 2006
That was a great game to watch. Just great hockey back and forth.

We went into Chicago and got a point. Scrivens might just be a #1 after all.

He can be a #1 but he needs to work on keeping his stick on the ice when doing his unorthodox butterfly slides.

gqmixmaster

Jun 1, 2006
Correction. Every game I bothered to watch. Which is getting harder and harder.

In anycase what on Earth is this guy doing in the NHL. Any reason, at all, whatsoever?

No, just yet another lineup up fill by a team that loves its pointless AHL lineup fills.

Does anybody in the hockey world figure oesterle is a valid NHL player?

Small D, weak, not good offensive numbers..

next

I think Oesterle could be an NHL Dman but when you have forwards like Yakupov, Purcell, and another Dman like Klefbom it can be hard to get sheltered enough.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
He can be a #1 but he needs to work on keeping his stick on the ice when doing his unorthodox butterfly slides.

Scrivens is like a lot of goalies. Flashes of brilliance, sometimes lucky where everything is just hitting him, and sometimes a complete tire fire. Consistency is what makes a #1 and I don't think he's close to there yet. Keep him as the backup for sure, he is good enough to put pressure on a #1 to keep their game in check, but we still need a #1 goalie.

Some good Scrivens news though, if he has 1 more good game he can get back to .900 sav %! He's almost done washing some of the smelliest bits of the Eakins stink off of him.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
I think Oesterle could be an NHL Dman but when you have forwards like Yakupov, Purcell, and another Dman like Klefbom it can be hard to get sheltered enough.

Undrafted D from nowhere that is small, weak, non physical D untalented, negligible offensive traits.

Nothing in this suggests NHL player.

Is there anything this guy brings?

Last edited:

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
They needed a defenseman up from the minors and they wanted to reward Oesterle for playing well in Oklahoma City. That's why he's in the NHL for the time being.

No, he's in the NHL because a contemptible NHL club got rid of Petry for **** all and now we watch this craptacular level of player. As if it isn't dispiriting enough being an Oiler fan.

McDeathbyCheerios*

No, he's in the NHL because a contemptible NHL club got rid of Petry for **** all and now we watch this craptacular level of player. As if it isn't dispiriting enough being an Oiler fan.
Man you are hating on this kid for no reason. Yes he shouldn't be in the Nhl right now but you make it sound like he is a beer league pos. He is a decent AHL player currently out of his league trying his best playing with Andrew Ference who is making more mistakes then he is. The guy needs a few more years in the AHL for sure but he isn't as bad as you make it sound.

Hate on the management not on a kid trying his best

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Blackhawks looked like they were taking the game pretty seriously tbh. Of all the games to complain about having to watch... this one? This was a great hockey game to watch.

If you know anything about my hockey preference its that I deplore games like this where each team doesn't even attempt system play and allows close to a 100 shots in a game.

This was an abysmally played game in which neither club even bothered to play system. Basically river hockey played up and down with not even a thought of team D, NZ, or anything.

The type of game played that gets you nowhere in the NHL, if not the WC. If I'm a Hawks I'm shocked how low the Hawks are sinking after the Kane injury.

Quenneville incensed in practice today berating his players, singling out Sharp, Bickell. Had a list of the breakdowns, bad plays substandard play. Hawks almost always play us bad and routinely play poorly against the Oilers.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Man you are hating on this kid for no reason. Yes he shouldn't be in the Nhl right now but you make it sound like he is a beer league pos. He is a decent AHL player currently out of his league trying his best playing with Andrew Ference who is making more mistakes then he is. The guy needs a few more years in the AHL for sure but he isn't as bad as you make it sound.

Hate on the management not on a kid trying his best

I hate on the management. I hate on the fact that being an Oiler fan I'm supposed to watch 7 craptacular players in an NHL lineup that should not be here.

year after year of hopeless team, pointless trades, and non stop fill lineup

**** this org.

McPuritania

LucicDestroyedHaley
May 25, 2010
Toussaint
This might be the first time I've said this... Schultz did have a great game and to quote the great Dallas Eakins "He had some good looks out there tonight."

One thing I've noticed with Justin Schultz among many of our players is that most of them aren't going for those low % plays (or hope plays) nearly as much anymore. I don't see how a new coach and instantly change players habits so quickly.

Eakins really was the worst coach we've ever seen in Edmonton.

I almost forgot about that play. That WAS amazing. We really do need to make up a nickname for Klefbomb.

K-Bomb?
K-Bomber?
Klefbomber?
Bomber?

I don't know how it happened but I started calling him cleftbum, and now I can't stop.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
If you know anything about my hockey preference its that I deplore games like this where each team doesn't even attempt system play and allows close to a 100 shots in a game.

This was an abysmally played game in which neither club even bothered to play system. Basically river hockey played up and down with not even a thought of team D, NZ, or anything.

The type of game played that gets you nowhere in the NHL, if not the WC. If I'm a Hawks I'm shocked how low the Hawks are sinking after the Kane injury.

Quenneville incensed in practice today berating his players, singling out Sharp, Bickell. Had a list of the breakdowns, bad plays substandard play. Hawks almost always play us bad and routinely play poorly against the Oilers.

:dunno:

I'd rather watch an exciting game with tonnes of scoring chances both ways then have us play a tight checking game where the Oilers never even get out of the gates.

I know you're hockey preferences. Unfortunately, that preference is antithesis to the Oilers.

It's an embarrassing line up. 1/3rd of the roster wouldn't be on even 1/2 the teams in the league. I'm not even bothering to watch most games. But last night was a very exciting game.

I get it. You're pissed at the roster their icing. I agree. It's pathetic. But I still enjoyed the game. Quite the rarity for me.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
:dunno:

I'd rather watch an exciting game with tonnes of scoring chances both ways then have us play a tight checking game where the Oilers never even get out of the gates.

I know you're hockey preferences. Unfortunately, that preference is antithesis to the Oilers.

It's an embarrassing line up. 1/3rd of the roster wouldn't be on even 1/2 the teams in the league. I'm not even bothering to watch most games. But last night was a very exciting game.

I get it. You're pissed at the roster their icing. I agree. It's pathetic. But I still enjoyed the game. Quite the rarity for me.

Didn't even enjoy the first period due to how apparent it was the Hawks didn't even show up. Allowing 18shots to the Oilers in the first period. lmfao. Still managed a cheer for the great Yak setup but other than that I knew this was a game the Hawks would pull out when they felt like showing up for it which predictably took until the 3rd period.

other than if a person loves unfocused river hockey no redeeming features to this game.

I'd watch basketball if all I wanted was uncontested end to end dribble. or drivel

gqmixmaster

Jun 1, 2006
Undrafted D from nowhere that is small, weak, non physical D untalented, negligible offensive traits.

Nothing in this suggests NHL player.

Is there anything this guy brings?

I was actually impressed with how good he has handled it because of the traits/characteristics you have mentioned.

He may not be the guy today, but I think he is better than Brad Hunt.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
It does kinda speak to the offensive inability of this club when they get 47 shots and only a single goal.

This does worry me. I know they don't have Hall but they have two supposed 1st overalls in the lineup still and Eberle.

Still not very good offensively.

I really hate to bring up the Flames again, but even without Giordano they are scoring goals, Monahan might hit 30.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
This does worry me. I know they don't have Hall but they have two supposed 1st overalls in the lineup still and Eberle.

Still not very good offensively.

I really hate to bring up the Flames again, but even without Giordano they are scoring goals, Monahan might hit 30.

Like I've been saying. How long before Monahan, only 2 years into the league passes RNH's career goal total.

Man, how disappointing.

more disappointing? Gazdik had as many shots as Nuge last night and probably better scoring chances..

you could watch complete NHL weeks of Oilers games and not realize Nuge was a #1 draft. Nothing in his play is reflecting that. Complete disappearing act since the Hall injury.

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
Great hockey game. lol A Hawks team that's essentially given up because Kane is out for the season. An Oiler team with a worse than WHA lineup.

its putrid. Beyond belief, what kind of lineup this team is putting out for these games.

The following players are playing for a pro hockey club;

Andrew Ference, A used up beyond useless player who should have retired about 3yrs ago.

Gazdik

Fraser

Oesterle

Hamilton

Klinkhammer

Marincin

This is for posterity 7 of the 18 skaters an alledgedly pro team had out on the ice last night.

There should be an investigation on why an NHL team, so long iceing a pathetic team has the above in the lineup in an NHL hockey game. I could barely watch.

This is such a beyond contempt watered down hockey club this org trots out in the ice its pathetic. The Hawks without Kane slept through this game. You think Quenneville thought this was a good effort by his club?

And how many of those guys would be in the lineup if the team was healthy?

If you think that you're "above" watching this team, then maybe it's best that you save yourself and don't watch. They gave a solid effort with a heavily depleted lineup against a cup contender. Get real.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Like I've been saying. How long before Monahan, only 2 years into the league passes RNH's career goal total.

Man, how disappointing.

more disappointing? Gazdik had as many shots as Nuge last night and probably better scoring chances..

you could watch complete NHL weeks of Oilers games and not realize Nuge was a #1 draft. Nothing in his play is reflecting that. Complete disappearing act since the Hall injury.

He had a few decent rushes from what I saw.

Still he and Yakupov are nothing special. Bad years to tank, we got screwed.

Eberle is equal/better than both of them and he's a 22nd overall pick.

The Oilers reeeeeeally better hope Draisaitl pans out.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
And how many of those guys would be in the lineup if the team was healthy?

If you think that you're "above" watching this team, then maybe it's best that you save yourself and don't watch. They gave a solid effort with a heavily depleted lineup against a cup contender. Get real.

This lineup is depleted and talentless because this incompetent org gives players like Perron, Petry, Gagner away. All of which i'd rather be watching than this putrid ****.

WHA Oilers had a more compelling lineup.

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
This lineup is depleted and talentless because this incompetent org gives players like Perron, Petry, Gagner away. All of which i'd rather be watching than this putrid ****.

WHA Oilers had a more compelling lineup.

Good, maybe you'll enjoy watching Coyotes, Penguins, and Canadiens games more then.

If you feel like doing us all a favour you could move over their boards as well.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Good, maybe you'll enjoy watching Coyotes, Penguins, and Canadiens games more then.

If you feel like doing us all a favour you could move over their boards as well.

You don't speak for the board.

Do yourself a favor.

Carry on and enjoy propping up this deplorable org and all it does. Somebody somewhere might agree with you.

in the meantime I'll call it as it is and as this disgusting org fully deserves.

Funny thing is this org is so pathetic people don't even bother to post about them or watch the games anymore.

But its like a trainwreck. hard to stop looking.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad